Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Bigboy67

@UglyButProud - the -derm on your chest looks like it is all one piece. Was that several pieces? And they all stuck together and didn't leak in between?

I bought the 6" wide roll. I figured I needed it for bigger work. See image below as howIi applied it...

post-53847-146168881846_thumb.jpg

It never leaked, even sleeping directly on it as I'm a stomach sleeper. Like I said earlier, I kinda over-applied to make sure it was safely covered. I love this stuff and will be using it from now on....

Tegaderm thread > latest tattoo lowdown.

By Heath Preheim at Temple Tattoo... Oakland, CA, walk-in Saturday filler jamz.

I usually keep it on for 3 days, but am contemplating keeping it on a little longer. Is keeping it on longer bad for the tattoo?

Tegaderm thread > latest tattoo lowdown.

By Heath Preheim at Temple Tattoo... Oakland, CA, walk-in Saturday filler jamz.

I usually keep it on for 3 days, but am contemplating keeping it on a little longer. Is keeping it on longer bad for the tattoo?

You have dark skin?

Getting my first tattoo tomorrow.

If using the Tegaderm, do I wait the initial time to remove the gauze/bandage from the shop, shower and wash the area, air dry, apply aquaphor or other product and then apply the Tegaderm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Saniderm,same kind of product,

I keep the original saran wrap & Vaseline that the tattooist put on for about 5 hours,then wash it with anti-microbial soap,(tattoo finished about 4PM)

*this was "scrubbing hard in warm water with my hand and anti-microbial soap in the shower*

then applied some cocoa butter and another saran wrap(about 5 or 6 hours) until the next morning,then wash again with anti-microbial soap,

then I apply saniderm(to clean dry skin ONLY) the following morning (no cocoa butter or aquaphor or anything,pat dry with clean cloth using clean sterile surgical gloves) *or have someone help you with clean sterile gloves*and don't take it off for 4 days,

the secret is to apply saniderm after all of the initial fluids(ink,plasma,etc) have come out,after the first 8 or 10 hours and two anti-microbial washings in the shower,

remember ! all this is skin area after washing and when applying the saniderm make sure it's only touched with new sterile surgical gloves !

• 3 weeks later...
Quick question, does the tegaderm speed the healing process? I have a wedding one week after getting tattooed but don't want to do anything that may slow down healing? Also how do you get the tegaderm off after 4 days? Thanks

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

it will speed up the healing process and to get off the film you simply pull it off,and it hurts like hell when you do ! LOL

I still highly recommend using the product though.I have used a similar one (Saniderm) several times and love it and swear by it.

it will speed up the healing process and to get off the film you simply pull it off,and it hurts like hell when you do ! LOL

Hm, I don't recall it being painful tbh, maybe because I was a bit more of a chicken and didn't yank it off but slowly peeled it off bit by bit instead...?

Hm, I don't recall it being painful tbh, maybe because I was a bit more of a chicken and didn't yank it off but slowly peeled it off bit by bit instead...?

well cool for you ! the only way to remove it is to pull it off slowly, LOL there is no way to "yank" it off ! and so it still fucking hurts a lot for me !

That doesn't sound good. As it's possible to have an allergic reaction to it, it's advisable to check this beforehand and put a piece on before actually using it to heal a tattoo.

I did this a couple of days before my tattoo and left it on for about 24h, just to make sure.

Also, from what I could gather it might be worth trying another brand of 'derm'. Even if you're not reacting well to one of them doesn't mean you'll have a problem with all. This might make sense for @Dan too, BTW. I believe it shouldn't hurt that much and I think I've read somewhere this might be due to a mild allergic reaction or so, too...?

Did you take it off under the shower?

That doesn't sound good. As it's possible to have an allergic reaction to it, it's advisable to check this beforehand and put a piece on before actually using it to heal a tattoo.

I did this a couple of days before my tattoo and left it on for about 24h, just to make sure.

Also, from what I could gather it might be worth trying another brand of 'derm'. Even if you're not reacting well to one of them doesn't mean you'll have a problem with all. This might make sense for @Dan too, BTW. I believe it shouldn't hurt that much and I think I've read somewhere this might be due to a mild allergic reaction or so, too...?

no,I've never had any type of reaction,I apply it to clean dry skin and it sticks really well(which is what I want) and it seems to hurt more on the un-tattooed skin that the tattooed area,and the pain I am crying about is nothing more than like pulling off well stuck duct tape etc off of skin. LOL

no I don't take it off in the shower,I just slowly pull it off,or if's in a weird spot my wife helps me.

but again,after about for days of using the saniderm my tattoo is pretty much healed in an amazing way.I have only had great experiences at least in easy and good healing.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a horrible reaction to Tegaderm, I used it the first night and woke up leaky, and inflamed, with scabs along the edges of the 'derm. I'm so pissed about this! Now I'm trying to embrace dry healing, when I had my whole mind set on 'derm.

This is my process for healing.

1) Leave on the initial Vaseline and saran wrap that the artist put on for about the first 4 hours

2) Remove the saran wrap and wash scrubbing hard with the palm of your hand in warm water shower with a "anti-microbial" soap

3) Apply maybe some cocoa butter lightly then wrap with saran wrap again tape it on and sleep that night.

4) Doing this(saran wrap) for the first 10 or so hours will let all the excess ink and plasma (fluids) come out.

5) Again in the morning remove the saran wrap and wash scrubbing hard with the palm of your hand in warm water shower with a "anti-microbial" soap

6) With rubber surgical gloves and a clean dry cloth pat the area dry and apply the Saniderm or tagaderm etc to clean dry skin and leave it on for at least 4 days

*I use the roll of Saniderm and cut it to leave at least a 2" outer overlap around the outside edge of the tattooed area*

7) Remove and apply a light amount of unscented Lubriderm or whatever product you like.

Yep I kept the Saran Wrap and Hustle Butter on for 1 hour (per his instructions) then cleaned, dried, gloved, and applied. The pieces had to overlap in order to cover the whole thing. The next morning my seams from overlapping were all peeled up, plasma/ink was everywhere. Took a shower, cleaned it all up, took off the derm very very carefully under water with soap, and there was my reaction. The tattoo itself was fine, but the virgin skin around it was f'ed up.

I took this pic this morning (day 7) it's just starting to turn pink vs. angry red and the swelling has reduced about 80%. If it was just trauma it wouldn't have perfect square edges and scabs, right?

For the record, I've never reacted to a bandage adhesive, latex, etc. I may get brave enough to try another brand, because I really WANT to love it!

post-54126-146168882463_thumb.jpg

Since I'm on my phone I don't have the "thank" option. Thanks! I'll brave a different brand before my next tattoo, I really want to love this stuff!

Yep I kept the Saran Wrap and Hustle Butter on for 1 hour (per his instructions) then cleaned, dried, gloved, and applied. The pieces had to overlap in order to cover the whole thing. The next morning my seams from overlapping were all peeled up, plasma/ink was everywhere. Took a shower, cleaned it all up, took off the derm very very carefully under water with soap, and there was my reaction. The tattoo itself was fine, but the virgin skin around it was f'ed up.

I took this pic this morning (day 7) it's just starting to turn pink vs. angry red and the swelling has reduced about 80%. If it was just trauma it wouldn't have perfect square edges and scabs, right?

For the record, I've never reacted to a bandage adhesive, latex, etc. I may get brave enough to try another brand, because I really WANT to love it!

[ATTACH]12807[/ATTACH]

right,the plasma will bleed out for the first 10 or so hours,that's why I posted the detailed steps I use that work great,the first time I was introduced to this product I did the same thing you did and it turned out horrible !

one hour is not long enough for the fluids to seep out before applying the film.

but if you re-read my last post you would see that it's totally different from the method and instructions you did.

I posted step by step time frames that are important to using this product,if you don't do that exactly then yes,you will get bad results.

honestly I have used this product several times with success after the first time,and it really does work,IF you follow my method ! even though nobody likes me here, (I really do know what I am talking about)

you HAVE to give the fluids time to seep out BEFORE applying the film.

and BTW,I also posted that I prefer the Saniderm version.

What do you mean nobody likes you?!?

I think the disconnect is in more than the 10 hours you waited vs the 1 hour I waited, but rather would my non-tattooed skin still have reacted badly if I had waited longer to apply? Maybe the trauma of removing it early made it worse, but I definitely had the rash, scabs, swelling, and pain under the wrap before I removed it.

Help me understand, did your virgin skin react badly the first time you used it, or did it look fine but leaked causing a need to remove it early?

Help me understand, did your virgin skin react badly the first time you used it, or did it look fine but leaked causing a need to remove it early?

it leaked out resulting in the need to remove it early,(the first time I used it)I learned after that.

none of my skin reacted badly,the tattoo did from being pinned under the film with the plasma.so the next 5 tattoos I had done and used the Saniderm I learned that the weeping of liquid before applying the film is extremely important,and from the moment of tattoing being finished that process takes abot 10 or 12 hours.

IMO there is nothing in or about the film product that causes a bad reaction,it's the application procedure that is more relative.

But the problem I have is with the non-tattooed skin reaction and how hard it's been to heal . If I had left it on after I saw all that rash/scabbing under it, I wonder if that would have gotten better or worse with time?

I'm going to try your brand instead of what I bought from Walgreens, on my other thigh, see if I get any reaction from it. If I can use it safely I really want to!

But the problem I have is with the non-tattooed skin reaction and how hard it's been to heal . If I had left it on after I saw all that rash/scabbing under it, I wonder if that would have gotten better or worse with time?

I'm going to try your brand instead of what I bought from Walgreens, on my other thigh, see if I get any reaction from it. If I can use it safely I really want to!

ya well,I wouldn't get it from walgreens, I get "PERSONAL SIZE 10.2 IN X 2 YD ROLL" from here https://saniderm.com/product/personal-size-10-2-in-x-2-yd-roll/

Glad I read your posts. I decided to sample the tegaderm on my other arm for the past two hours since I got a tattoo today. I am bright red front the adhesive. Same thing just happened now when I just took off the saran wrap and tape, I have a rashy red where the tape was. Looks like it's a normal heal with lotion for me. Thanks guys

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Another poster here mentioned reacting to Tegaderm and not Saniderm. I seem to always end up with too-small leftover bits of Saniderm and I'm happy to mail them to anyone who wants to test them out for a reaction before getting tattooed. I didn't and was lucky, but it would make sense to patch-test any of this stuff before wearing it against your skin for days.

• 2 weeks later...

I will just pile on here and say I'm completely blown away with how my upper arm piece did with Tegaderm. Typical treatment first 10 hours to let the initial plasma leak out, etc., tegaderm four days, remove the film, soap and water and it peeled all at once, now it looks completely healed, smooth, bright colors, soft, not dried out or peely. People can't believe their eyes, knowing when I had it done. Going back soon to finish the work and am eager to share results with the shop, and I'll never go back.

Lately, Tegaderm has been leaving a weird border on the edge of the film. It's not a big deal, as the tattoo still heals fast as hell. But having a weird border mark on me is kinda weird.

But it'll get covered in other tattoos eventually, I'm sure.