Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Bigboy67

I tend to have similar problems trying to keep my hands off the tattoo while peeling, and given that the forearm is basically in my face the whole time, I guess I'd rather wait if I can. The reason why I'd prefer to remove it at home (so either friday or sunday) is that the tap water where we'll be over the weekend is kind of nasty so I wouldn't want to take the -derm off in the shower & would need to wash the tattoo with bottled water instead. I guess I'll see how it is feeling tomorrow and decide what to do based on where I am on the get-this-thing-off-me scale before we leave. The itch is getting a lot worse though so I think it'll really be a stretch to make it until Sunday....

I haven't found being in the shower to help a whole lot, though that's what I usually wind up doing. They way this stuff comes off, like when it is used in a medical setting, is to grasp each side of it and pull your hands apart, like stretching it across the skin (not upwards), very similar to how you remove those Command hook adhesive strips from 3M. You're breaking the surface tension. If you try to pull it or peel it, it doesn't often work so great, and will pull on the skin uncomfortably, depending on where you have it. If it is on your arm, though, and you're alone, you can't exactly grasp each side of the film to pull it so it lifts off, so I generally have to improvise unless I get my husband or kids to help out.

After that, though, it would be good to have a good clean water source to bathe it.

Yeah, I figured out pulling outwards was the way to go when I took off the test strip (since it was on my other arm, I couldn't grip two corners at the time, but just pulling out/stretching at whatever single point seemed to work well, too). I just think the shower/warm water would help detach any hardened bits of film from the tattoo more gently.

Sooo I have to say my first experience with Tegaderm has been excellent.

I ended up taking the the first one off on Friday last week in the end, 'cause I had a major water breach while showering (to be fair I know now that I should have patched it as soon as the derm started to roll up a little on my wrist). The tattoo was very wrinkly and tender and so very, very dry at this point that I decided to wrap it up again to avoid having to deal with it over the weekend.

This proved to be a super smart move since I've spent the last six days puking my guts out and sweating off a high fever on a 5-6 times per day repeat cycle so I really wouldn't have had the energy to baby the tattoo at all (on a side note, got a nice relaxing morning of bloodwork, being attached to a drip at the hospital, some meds & happily no one wanted to blame the tattoo, and am well on my way to getting over whatever I had now :)).

Yesterday I finally took off the derm since I was feeling better and getting bored with resting, and just had a few small pieces left to peel and the rest of it is looking nice and lizardy. Not tender at all any longer either, it really feels healed now and also there's no dry pulling feeling like I had with the other arm unless I was lotioning it like every couple of hours during/just after the peel (that was at about the 2,5 week mark or so). I've been applying lotion only once per day, and it will be two weeks old on monday, so not bad at all especially considering that it probably wasn't the best healing conditions ever due to the immune system overload since I was so ill.

I'll post a pic with the progress later.

This is from yesterday (11 days after getting the tattoo and one day after removing the derm). Apologies for the rubbish photo and for the crooked lines caused by the position... Once the lizard effect tones down I'll have someone else take some better ones for my gallery.

That's looking good, @Kurgana!

I know this -derm stuff is not for everyone, and is not part of the traditional tattoo experience, of which the healing process is a big part, but the annoying stuff to deal with in the first few days of a new tattoo is eliminated (no messy sheets, a lot more comfort). I'm sold on it since it works for me, and doesn't irritate my skin or otherwise pose a problem. Having gone without as many times as I've used it, I feel like I can confidently say I'm going to use it from here on out.

- - - Updated - - -

That's looking good, @Kurgana!

I know this -derm stuff is not for everyone, and is not part of the traditional tattoo experience, of which the healing process is a big part, but the annoying stuff to deal with in the first few days of a new tattoo is eliminated (no messy sheets, a lot more comfort). I'm sold on it since it works for me, and doesn't irritate my skin or otherwise pose a problem. Having gone without as many times as I've used it, I feel like I can confidently say I'm going to use it from here on out.

Hi folks. I just joined to ask for some advice about my new tattoo. It's my third tattoo (second really, one was just some text), and the first I've used Tegaderm on.

Tattooist applied a plastic wrap (I'm not sure what brand, it peeled from the middle with green arrowed tabs) directly after the tattoo, but I came back after two hours to have this reapplied due to bleeding / seepage. I kept that plastic wrap on for a day, then applied Tegaderm. The tattooist said to keep it on for five days. That I could take it off earlier but there was no need.

I'm on day four now, the Tegaderm is quite crinkled and I'm not sure if I spy tiny spidery cracks in the tattoo skin or this is just an illusion from the wrinkled Tegaderm. I see that most people seem to keep it on for 3/4 days. Is it worth taking it off today or keeping it on for day five and taking it off tomorrow? I have lotion ready to go for whenever I take it off. The tattoo is about 12cm by 12cm if that has any bearing.

Thanks in advance!

I absolutely agree. The longer you leave it, the further along the healing process the tattoo will be. And the longer you leave it, the easier it will be to remove the 'derm. I had to take mine off at 3 days because the edge rolled up at my wrist and I stupidly didn't patch it with another piece until it was too late, and it was not fun. I actually applied a second 'derm that I kept on for other 5 days and I probably could have kept that one on for a day or two longer ideally. I was down with the flu at the time though so that may have slowed down the healing process some.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got tattoo #16 done last Saturday and finished up day 4 with using Saniderm today. I will say I personally that I found taking off the Saniderm was easier than the Tegaderm. Both are great though and I'm happy that I invested in a roll of Saniderm.

- - - Updated - - -

Just got tattoo #16 done last Saturday and finished up day 4 with using Saniderm today. I will say I personally that I found taking off the Saniderm was easier than the Tegaderm. Both are great though and I'm happy that I invested in a roll of Saniderm.

I tried Tegaderm for my most recent tattoo. I will add my thoughts on Tegaderm vs. Saniderm later. My problem is that I removed the Tegaderm after seven days and have a ton of adhesive still on my skin. I removed it in the shower, soaped up several times before I got out, then showered again the next morning. Later this same day I have adhesive all over my back. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to remove this adhesive? My normal go-to is mineral oil, but that's a no-no with a tattoo.

Hey guys, pretty new here and also new to derm products.

I'm about to begin my first session of two back to back. This is my 3rd session with my artist working on my sleeve. My previous two sessions were 10+ hours of pure tattoo time and I expect these two to be around the same or at minimum 8 hours each. I will probably have more plasma than is typical having put my skin through so much trauma... do you think I should follow the standard protocol and apply the tegaderm around 10 hours after the final session? Should I wait a bit longer? This is my first time using any derm product, and my current work has healed great with AD/aquaphor/hustle butter but I am going to be getting a lot of ink in the future and if this is going to be the best route for aftercare I want to begin now

Thanks guys

J

• 3 weeks later...

My artist had a trick to help with the plasma. He placed a clean sterile towel over my piece (but he said you could use a paper towel), soaked it in witch hazel, wrapped it tightly with a self adherent wrap, and left it on for 10 to 15 minutes. Some people feel nothing while others will feel it get warm (he said it's normal). It felt soothing to me. After that, he unwrapped it and you could see plasma on it. He said it helps draw some of the plasma out. He wiped and dried it well. Then he added Tegaderm with about an inch or better space all the way around. The plasma I'm getting is no worse than people who waited 10 or so hours to apply and my ink is pure black put on with liners only (so lots of trauma). I'm not having any redness, swelling, or anything close to pain with it. I put a cool pack on it after my shower and at the end of the day and that's it.

Perhaps if you wait the 10 recommended hours and then do what my artist did, you won't have as many problems with plasma. Just make sure to leave a good space of uninked skin around it to give it space to pool and run if need be. If it starts running and gets close to the edge, you can always add a piece to where it's headed before it pops open the seal.

Edited by JBluewind
Because it "updated" and doubled my post

Tegaderm is fantastic. I heave horrible skin and heal like shit and all the tattoos I've healed with tegaderm have healed waaaaaay better than just using traditional methods

- - - Updated - - -

Tegaderm is fantastic. I heave horrible skin and heal like shit and all the tattoos I've healed with tegaderm have healed waaaaaay better than just using traditional methods

Here is how my experience has went so far...

Day 0: Got my tattoo (shave beforehand!). My artist dabbed a little A + D Ointment on it, wiped it off, and then did a tight witch hazel wrap. He did this by putting something kind of like a folded paper towel over the ink, soaked it in witch hazel, and wrapped it tightly with a self adherent wrap. He said some people can experience a warm sensation with it and that's okay (I found it soothing). The wrap sucked out some of the plasma allowing him to put on the tegaderm right away after drying it off. He had an inch space or more between the edge of the tegaderm and the edge of the tattoo to help plasma buildup keep from running out of it. On larger tattoos, the space should be larger (if it looks like it's about to later, clean where it's getting close and add a little piece to keep it closed). He trimmed the corners to keep it from pealing off. No real clothing restrictions while it's on, although you still can't submerge it in water. Showers are fine, but really warm ones can sting a little (but not as bad as uncovered). Avoid the sun and cover it when you're outside. You can sleep normally until the tegaderm comes off without worrying about ink stained sheets, but laying on it can make it sore. The only time you should lay on it on purpose is when using an ice pack. Use a wrapped ice pack (not just ice in a bag because lumps) as necessary as it helps with soreness and even itchiness (I'd say minimum twice a day for the first few days. I did it after my morning shower and at the end of the day before bed and occasionally in the afternoon) It was a lot easier to do stuff with it covered without worrying about getting it dirty or obsessively washing it. My artist told me to count tattoo day as day 0 and to leave it on until day 5.

Day 1: Double whammy today of my little dog jumping on my fresh tattoo and then banged my leg. The tegaderm did a great job of protecting my healing skin and other than the initial "Son of a b****!!!" moment, it wasn't that bad and ebbed away quickly. I can only imagine how much it would have hurt without the film protecting it!

Day 3: I had the maximum amount of plasma buildup I had over the course of my use of Tegaderm, but no leaking even though it was a tad close to one edge (picture above).

Day 4: Inching started in the middle of the night. Stage 2 healing has begun. In the morning, my skin had sucked up all the plasma leaving behind flaky ink.

Day 5: Took off the tegaderm in the shower by starting an edge and using warm water and Basis soap (tattoo safe, free of extras, affordable, and available at most stores such as the Walgreens beauty section) to peal it off. It was actually easier to take off than a bandaid! I think a lot if the issues people have are from removing it too early because it's made to stay on the skin a while. I gently cleaned it by lathering up my hands and washed it and then rinsed it off with cool water. The excess ink left behind after the plasma was sucked up came off my bare skin easily (I took a picture and labeled it in my photo album). I dried the area around it with a towel and patted the tattoo dry with toilet paper (which was kept outside the bathroom and brought in as needed). Then it was time to add a moisturizer. Hustle Butter is a good brand, but I couldn't get a hold of any in time, so I got a Tattoo Goo kit (available at a lot of retail stores like Walmart) which is mineral oil and petroleum free (unlike most regular lotions). The salve was originally made by Bert's Bees, so it's very soothing with about the texture of their lip balms. You are gonna have to add a little more moisturizer the first day the tegaderm is off because the skin will be hungry for it. My first application of salve was gone in about 2 hours. It took about 4 applications of moisturizer (wash with Basis soap using flat lathered fingers and then applying the salve and wiping off excess) before it stopped sucking it up so quickly. Then it was the normal 3 times a day wash quick and moisturizer application. Make sure to sleep in a way that you won't be laying on it.

Day 7: No scabbing at all and flaking is very minimal. If you are using a Tattoo Goo kit, this is the very last day you can use the salve as it's more for healing. You can start using lotion between day 6 and 8 at your discretion. I waited until day 8 to start the lotion because the salve was very soothing. It's safe to add tattoo safe sun screen if you need to (I'm not sure about day 5 or 6, so consult your artist if need be).

Day 8: I'm starting to get the clear shiny film skin over my tattoo. It just takes a tiny amount of lotion (under half a fingertip) to cover my entire tattoo after a wash. I wipe it afterwards to ensure there is no excess. I'm still using a wrapped ice pack once or twice a day because it soothes the itching from my skin healing which makes me less likely to accidentally scratch it. I put a tissue or paper towel between the cloth and my tattoo to keep the towel I wrap the ice pack in from having direct contact. The tegaderm also saved my sheets as I was covered while the plasma was leaking and haven't had a single dot of black get on them after I took it off.

Day 9: The entire tattoo is good and shiny with a film of skin. Still a little itchy, but it has never been bad during the entire process. More like a feather tickling than poison ivy. I accidentally laid on one edge of it last night as I slept, so that part is a little pinkish at the edge, but not sore or bad enough to worry about.

Edit: The hair is starting to grow in more so the occasional tickle has been more constant. It makes me wish I had shaved the day of instead of the day before! It's not bad, but I've had to catch myself trying to scratch more often than I was before. I won't risk shaving though as I have 1 spot that's still not flat with the rest of my skin (but boy do I want to!). I have a faint white line of dry skin around my ink and it's looking good save for the little spot lagging behind the rest on healing (my fault because it's a bit at the back of my leg and I've rolled on my back a few times while sleeping). It's surprisingly unfaded for the healing stage it's in and although not as crisp as fresh, it's still a strong saturated black. I've gotten a laugh out of the process as I have a high pain threshold from years of dealing with medical conditions and found the pain level to not even be bothersome, but the constant slight tickle drives me batty. XD

And that's as far as I've gotten in my healing process. Hopefully it will give everyone a good idea of how the tegaderm (or like product) healing goes.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

First time on these forums and first time using Tegaderm coincidentally. Just a quick question for you all. My tattoo artist put the Tegaderm on my tattoo immediately after he finished and advised me to remove it the next day, which I did, and it was full of plasma and excess ink. After I removed the Tegaderm, which was very smooth, I cleaned the tattoo and applied a new sheet of Tegaderm which I was advised to leave on for 3 days. My worry at this point, day 2, is that it feels as if the Tegaderm has stuck onto the tattoo and not just the skin around it. Should I be worried or will the Tegaderm remove just as easily as it did the first time? 

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

@oboogie I've read that if it peels so that part of the tattoo is exposed,  then it's time to remove it. If it's just the edges peeling back and the tattoo is still covered, then it's fine. 

I have only used it once so I really know nothing. This is just what I read on some site.  Take a look at tattoo Derm or saniderm's website and they probably have faq's that address this. 

Just now, Rob I said:

@oboogie I've read that if it peels so that part of the tattoo is exposed,  then it's time to remove it. If it's just the edges peeling back and the tattoo is still covered, then it's fine. 

I have only used it once so I really know nothing. This is just what I read on some site.  Take a look at tattoo Derm or saniderm's website and they probably have faq's that address this. 

Thanks, Rob! I am reading on the websites, but I can't seem to find a proper answer. It's just the edge, and most of the new tattoo is covered. Hmmm. Not sure what to do.