Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Bigboy67

Thanks all! I ended up buying Tegaderm at Walgreens after this post. I took the Saniderm off in the shower and cleaned it and applied a fresh sheet of Tegaderm. For what it's worth, my tattoo looks and feels great! No redness or swelling, no warmth or smell. It's got a tight shiny look to it, and felt a little dry, so I'm hoping the Tegaderm will help trap some moisture in there. I'm thinking I'll leave the new sheet on for 2-3 days. Will update!

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts on applying tegaderm the day after getting a new tattoo that has almost no plasma leaking? 

Edit: just went for it. My wife applied it. I wish I had bought the roll, but didn't wait. Ended up using (4) 4x4 and (3) 2x2. There are some overlaps. Not exactly the smoothest, seems its kinda of wrinkly. Could just be it's because it's a mobile spot.   

Also, within 30 minutes I could see moisture building up in the creases. Normal?

IMG_0847.PNG

Edited by Jkeith

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly, I had a my first ever "blister" from tegaderm. Maybe it was the location which was on the back of my thigh. Dunno. I do know that within 16 hours, I had a 1" thin, U-shaped blister and big ole raised red mark where the corner of the derm was located. So very attractive. Other than this issue, I'm approaching the peel...

I am healing my with tegaderm for the first time, I am due to take it off tomorrow. I was just curious if anyone has had an "issue" (not sure if this even is an issue) where they don't have any ink/plasma build up under the bandage? It just seems weird to me, everything I read made it seem like there'd be a ton of gunk under it. I've had it on for 4 days now, and I applied it the day after I was tattooed. 

37 minutes ago, erikazzed said:

I am healing my with tegaderm for the first time, I am due to take it off tomorrow. I was just curious if anyone has had an "issue" (not sure if this even is an issue) where they don't have any ink/plasma build up under the bandage? It just seems weird to me, everything I read made it seem like there'd be a ton of gunk under it. I've had it on for 4 days now, and I applied it the day after I was tattooed. 

it's different from person to person and tattoo and ink used,for instance when I get an all black tattoo,there is no plasma buildup under the dermal film i use,and with color tattoos I get all kinds of plasma buildup,also another method I always use now is I always wait 15 to 20 hours after the initial application of the tattoo to put on the dermal film,there is no plasma buildup that way.Anyway,don't worry about "no" buildup,it's normal and just fine IMO.

@erikazzed Like Dan said, don't worry about it. You should be just fine. I've typically had more plasma gunk when

1) the tegaderm was applied either immediately (this happened twice)

or

2) I had a lot of color applied (generally wait at least 5 hours before applying but still had some gunk).

I've also had exactly no gunk a few times after waiting 5 hours to apply the dermal film.

Happy Healing!

• 2 weeks later...

I just healed my tattoo with Tegaderm for the first time and I'm in love. I did get some minor irritation around the edges from the adhesive, but even including the irritation it was worth basically ignoring my tattoo for 3 days instead of babying it. I took it off and it had some minor peeling and now it's slightly sensitive which is understandable for a week and a couple of days old tattoo. I was worried it wouldn't work for me because at first it peeled up real easily and leaked, but I didn't fully dry the tattoo/area before applying it, once I did that and replaced the bandage I was golden.

I've only used Saniderm once, and I am not doing it again unless it's knees, elbows or butt area. Compared to my traditional method of healing- Saniderm took longer to fully heal than my normal routine and the result isn't any different. Worse if anything. I had the first one on for ~24 hours, then 3-5 days (hard to say since I traveled from the PNW to Europe) and the tattoo basically started healing by the time I took it off.

In terms of practicality it was great, which is why I'm open to movable or dirty areas, but the result wasn't any better than my current healing process.

I'm currently visiting SF and while here I got tattooed by Kahlil. Due to the placement (my thigh) we decided to put some saniderm on it so it wouldn't imped on my walking around the city. I had used tegaderm during test runs but never on a fresh tattoo.

After a day of walking the saniderm peeled on all corners pretty bad. The next day we continued walking around without an issue. That night I went to take a shower; I did my best not to get it wet but in the end the saniderm filled with water. I had no choice but to remove it.

once out of the shower I was faced with a choice to either leave it off and have my tattoo rub against my jeans for 6-8 miles a day for the next three days or apply the tegaderm I brought.

I opted to apply my tegaderm and boy am I happy I did. I had read mixed reviews on reapplying adhesive to your tattoo but I felt like I was left with little option. I'm on our final day here in SF and the tegaderms held up like a dream. There has been zero iritation and the tattoo appears to be coming along like a dream. Tegaderm in my opinion is leaps and bounds better than saniderm. It's thinner with better adhesive and more stretch.

I'll keep everyone up to date once I take it off. As of now I stand behind reapplying adhesive if the situation calls for it.

Got to sing the praises for the 'derm once again! I had four + hours worth of tattooing done last Thursday, 'dermed the same evening and removed it yesterday, and the tattoo is now almost done peeling and looks great! So easy & trouble free, especially having three 2-month-old puppies in the house who are all over me pretty much all the time (would have been interesting keeping the tattoo clean and hair free any other way).  

I also got some serious compliments from all three artists at the studio for how my other work has healed (never needed a touch up, colors look great), and no specific aftercare instructions 'cause "I clearly know what I'm doing" :). So nice to hear, especially considering that the various 'derms have not really become a thing yet here in Italy.

So here's my final weigh in on my first experience with tegaderm/saniderm. As I stated earlier, it became clear early on that saniderm wasn't up to par. I replaced the saniderm with tegaderm a day after getting tattooed. I had some reservations on reapplying anything from what I had read on this thread however I was left with little choice. I showered and removed the saniderm; once out of the shower I dried with fresh paper towels directly on the tattoo then let air dry for 5-10 minutes before applying the tegaderm. After applying tegaderm. After having it on overnight I saw no change to the tattoo or surrounding skin. Four days later I removed the tegaderm revealing a beautifully in-process heal. I have attached a photo of the tegaderm I removed. As you can see there was a layer of skin/ink that came along. 

I highly recommend Tegaderm if the area calls for it. I did't use any tegaderm on my sleeve for a multitude of reasons. The first was simply due to the financial burden of buying large quantities and having to apply it over the weeks my sleeve was in process. I don't believe the end result is any different regardless of which healing route you take. I can definitely say tegaderm greatly reduces the peel and heal time. 

Hope this information helps out. Stay stoked and get great tattoos

Cheers

tattoo.jpg

tattoo 2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I put my tegaderm on the day act i got tattooed, which was yesterday. All day it was "juicy" underneath it. But today when I woke up, it's completely dry. The tegaderm has stuck down to my tattoo. It seems like it got a hole in it or something but I can't find one. This is the second time I used tegaderm and I don't remember this happening the first time. Anyone have any suggestions, what I should do? Is this normal? I don't want to take it off cause I know that will probably hurt pretty bad. TIA 

40 minutes ago, zombae8723 said:

I put my tegaderm on the day act i got tattooed, which was yesterday. All day it was "juicy" underneath it. But today when I woke up, it's completely dry. The tegaderm has stuck down to my tattoo. It seems like it got a hole in it or something but I can't find one. This is the second time I used tegaderm and I don't remember this happening the first time. Anyone have any suggestions, what I should do? Is this normal? I don't want to take it off cause I know that will probably hurt pretty bad. TIA 

take it off,wash the tattoo,dry it with a new paper towel,

and reapply another sheet of it,the oozing of liquid is totally normal.I usually wait about 20 hours or so to apply the dermal film so all the oozing is done by then.

Edited by Dan

I meant to say I put it on the day after I got the tattoo. I'm worried about taking off the tegaderm and putting more on because I think it's past the oozing stage. I'm afraid it will just stick to my tattoo. Well, it's stuck onto it now so I don't see a point in taking it off and putting another one on, to have it do the same thing. I don't see any holes in it. Is it normal to dry up? I don't remember it doing that this soon in my last one.

So I used saniderm on my tattoo from my last session on Sunday. I took it off last night (Wednesday). I will say that there is zero scabbing. I was and still am I little itchy though. The biggest concern it's that my skin is very irritated from it. A few blotchy, red spots that are also itchy. It's much better now, about 12 hours after I took it off but still it's irritated.
It did a great job healing the tattoo ( I have some very minor peeling going on) but I may possibly be slightly allergic to it. Which would be unusual for me. I'm not usually allergic to many things outside of seasonal allergy type things.

We use it in the ER. the red  blotching isnt something to be concerned about unless it persists. The fairer the skin the more likely you'll encounter it.

What would be a normal time frame to see it clear up? It's been 24 hrs and it still a bit irritated.

Edit: now after about 36 hrs I see noticeable improvement. I have some minor irritation still and on my shoulder cap and crease of he elbow a couple minor breakouts. Probably from a little dirt/oil getting trapped in from the bandage.

18 hours ago, gtrjunior said:

What would be a normal time frame to see it clear up? It's been 24 hrs and it still a bit irritated.

Edit: now after about 36 hrs I see noticeable improvement. I have some minor irritation still and on my shoulder cap and crease of he elbow a couple minor breakouts. Probably from a little dirt/oil getting trapped in from the bandage.

There are a multitude of factors that could play into redness where the tegaderm perimeter was. I wouldn't be overly concerned unless you are having trouble with the settling pigment in your skin.

22 hours ago, gtrjunior said:

I get redness and bruising from Saniderm every time on any spot on my body,it goes away in a  week or so,or longer depending on where it is on my body..

So I used saniderm on my tattoo from my last session on Sunday. I took it off last night (Wednesday). I will say that there is zero scabbing. I was and still am I little itchy though. The biggest concern it's that my skin is very irritated from it. A few blotchy, red spots that are also itchy. It's much better now, about 12 hours after I took it off but still it's irritated.
It did a great job healing the tattoo ( I have some very minor peeling going on) but I may possibly be slightly allergic to it. Which would be unusual for me. I'm not usually allergic to many things outside of seasonal allergy type things.

I've had this happen some of the times I've used tegaderm, only on the outer perimeter of the derm though, never on the tattoo area. This has always disappeared a few days after removing the derm, i suspect it's some reaction between sweat, dermglue. It won't keep me from using tegaderm again, the heal is just so much smoother in my experience.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A3003 met Tapatalk