Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Bigboy67

• 2 weeks later...

I posted in initiation too because I thought I couldn't reply anywhere else but I just now realized that I just can't start new topics. Oops! I'm wanting to try Saniderm healing but am getting some mixed directions on it.

According to some sites, including Saniderm's own site, you can leave it on until completely healed. So 24-48 hours for the first sheet, 6 days for the 2nd sheet, then another sheet as needed. This is what I'm interested in doing as I'm leaving for a camping trip 4 days after I get it and it would be great to have it covered and protected.

But using the search bar here I'm hearing people say that they remove it completely after 3 days and follow traditional aftercare from then on?

Is it bad to leave it on for a whole week?

4 hours ago, Sunshine32 said:

I posted in initiation too because I thought I couldn't reply anywhere else but I just now realized that I just can't start new topics. Oops! I'm wanting to try Saniderm healing but am getting some mixed directions on it.

According to some sites, including Saniderm's own site, you can leave it on until completely healed. So 24-48 hours for the first sheet, 6 days for the 2nd sheet, then another sheet as needed. This is what I'm interested in doing as I'm leaving for a camping trip 4 days after I get it and it would be great to have it covered and protected.

But using the search bar here I'm hearing people say that they remove it completely after 3 days and follow traditional aftercare from then on?

Is it bad to leave it on for a whole week?

no,as long as it's sealed & was cleaned & applied properly,5,6,7 days would be fine IMO

I have done 5 & 6 days before with good success,7 would be fine IMO(speaking from my own experience)

I left it on just shy of 3 days. It was getting a bit uncomfortable and irritated. BUT, when I took it off it was just about completely healed.....zero, and I mean zero scabbing. There was a little peeling for a few days but I was happy with the results after just a few days of use. My next session is this coming weekend and I'm going to use it again. I'll report back after then.

I used tegaderm for my most recent tattoo. I think I put it on too early because after a few hours it filled with fluids and wouldn't stick anymore so I had to remove it. Im going for another on Sunday so I'll see how it works this time.

Conflicting advice!

so I just finished my session and told my artist that I'd bought some saniderm, he had never heard of it so i described it as a sticky back plastic for wounds, anyway before I could tell him anything more about it he said 'no I don't like these sorts of things' and that was that, told me what cream to buy and sent me on my way.

but I've already bought it and read great things about it, sooo now I don't know if I should ignore him or not as ignoring your artist is a big no no normally 

thoughts?

16 hours ago, Freddie said:

Conflicting advice!

so I just finished my session and told my artist that I'd bought some saniderm, he had never heard of it so i described it as a sticky back plastic for wounds, anyway before I could tell him anything more about it he said 'no I don't like these sorts of things' and that was that, told me what cream to buy and sent me on my way.

but I've already bought it and read great things about it, sooo now I don't know if I should ignore him or not as ignoring your artist is a big no no normally 

thoughts?

I have been using Saniderm for years now,and I love it,every heal has been great.I have used it on about 10 tattoos now.

9 hours ago, pidjones said:

I would think soaking it off in a warm shower would prevent that.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

I don't think that would work,.it's made to use in hot showers,and it works great for that.

that stuff sticks pretty good. LOL

that's the one thing about that stuff,it does hurt coming off,

and it has never taken any of my skin off. 

Edited by Dan

There are a surprising number of well known, world class artists that either don't know about Tegaderm type products or never used them.  For me, it's the best heal experience that I get with any tattoo. I've only dry healed a couple and the rest were healed with Tegaderm. Plus, since I travel for almost every tattoo, using it is a blessing since I don't have to worry about hotels and nasty airplanes.

You find what works best for you!

I leave it in for 72 hours then remove it. There's a method to getting it off with less pulling (remember that it's used in hospitals!), so if it took your skin off, hospitals most certainly wouldn't use it.

@Freddie

I would think soaking it off in a warm shower would prevent that.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Yeah, I believe somewhere on the website instructions it recommends taking the wrap off in the shower. So I'm sure that would make it a bit easier.

16 minutes ago, gtrjunior said:

Yeah, I believe somewhere on the website instructions it recommends taking the wrap off in the shower. So I'm sure that would make it a bit easier.

interesting,I have not seen that,I will check that out.  I use Saniderm,it doesn't state that on their site,

Edited by Dan

On 5/11/2017 at 0:22 AM, Dan said:

I don't think that would work,.it's made to use in hot showers,and it works great for that.

that stuff sticks pretty good. LOL

that's the one thing about that stuff,it does hurt coming off,

and it has never taken any of my skin off. 

It took my skin off. And the shower won't help. Tried it all. I have pretty sensitive skin.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Saniderm was brilliant in my experience! Did it hurt to take off? Yes. But worth it for the comfort and the completely stress free first few days. don't have to moisturise, or anti bac or leak on the sheets ect... it was great.

I applied about 4 Hours after tattoo after id had a shower to wash the blood and goop off, didnt touch it for 4 days. Took it off, had 3 days of very light peeling, didn't even notice any flakes in clothes and it mostly came off in shower.
All sorted :D 

IMG_1830[1].JPG

IMG_1859[1].JPG

I had my last session a week ago and this time my experience with it was a bit different.
After the session, once I got home I showered and re wrapped with saran just as I did last time. The next morning, I showered again and my wife helped me apply the saniderm. We went out and did a few errand which took a few hours. When we got home I noticed a small section that had come loose. This happened last time too so I figured that I'd just trim it and put a patch on it. When I took my shirt off we noticed that the tattoo was still leaking considerable plasma. The saniderm had come loose in several places within the boundaries of the saniderm edges.
I decided to just remove the saniderm and let it heal the old fashioned way...lots of aquaphor and time....
It worked so much better last time for me.

Well, the Saniderm was brilliant in my experience! Did it hurt to take off? Yes. But worth it for the comfort and the completely stress free first few days. don't have to moisturise, or anti bac or leak on the sheets ect... it was great.

I applied about 4 Hours after tattoo after id had a shower to wash the blood and goop off, didnt touch it for 4 days. Took it off, had 3 days of very light peeling, didn't even notice any flakes in clothes and it mostly came off in shower.

All sorted :D 

592176bdd9544_IMG_18301.thumb.JPG.91720e22b2f107f15a43e9cf2be73f7c.JPG

592176c340f85_IMG_18591.thumb.JPG.4779ea7442d48502feb08afcf80dd3c9.JPG

Btw...I think you're tattoo came out great! I really looks a lot like the original sketch you posted

45 minutes ago, gtrjunior said:

Byw...I think you're tattoo came out great! I really looks a lot like the original sketch you posted

Thanks man :D I like the fact its unusual style, it was funny because the stencil looked totally different, I lay down and he starts buzzing, 5 hours later it looks like this haha but i'm happy with it so that's what counts.

As for your fluid build up, I had a similar thing in the dense areas where the lines cross, but i left it overnight and it dried up underneath the Saniderm. Although yours does sounds more severe.

The paranoid newbie is back with more questions (sorry haha!) I decided to try the good old Saniderm method and it seems to be okay - I didn't have trouble getting it on and it doesn't really hurt or anything. However, I was expecting all this weeping, goo, plasma and stuff but it's completely dry under the Saniderm. It's a little red and puffy, but dry. Should I be concerned?

The tattoo was finished 6:30pm last night (about 22 hours ago - not sure about timezones on here) and the artist wrapped it with saran wrap and aquaphor. I waited about two hours, cleaned the tattoo with unscented soap, patted and let air dry, and then applied saniderm.

Should I be concerned if it's really dry and the saniderm is stuck to the tattoo? When I take it off in the morning to put a new sheet on should I put some ointment on it first?