Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Bigboy67

12 hours ago, Dan said:

well,I have never used Tegaderm ,I have always used Saniderm,not sure if the product or the application of the product makes a difference in coming off or not.

All the times I have used Saniderm,there was never a problem with it peeling or coming off until I took it off,and I have used it a lot,including my knees and hands as well as big areas like my thighs and shoulders.

It's so hard to find tegaderm in the pharmacies I wonder if the eBay seller had these for a while and they are just old?? Could that be a reason they don't stick well? I can't find anyone with the peeling problem so soon after application. Until I use a bigger patch I've no idea if it's just the small patches I've cut and used that is the problem. 

Anyone else with any thoughts? 

I may be too late to order some saniderm in time.

It's so hard to find tegaderm in the pharmacies I wonder if the eBay seller had these for a while and they are just old?? Could that be a reason they don't stick well? I can't find anyone with the peeling problem so soon after application. Until I use a bigger patch I've no idea if it's just the small patches I've cut and used that is the problem. 

Are you in the US? I walked into Walgreens today and got two boxes of Tegaderm today. Actually I got the Walgreens brand, but they had 3M and Walgreens brand available. Walgreens and CVS websites can show store item availability if you don't want to drive around town (I have at least 5 Walgreens in a 5 mile radius here, and they all seem to focus on slightly different stock...)

I just got my first ankle tattoo, first time trying tegaderm/etc and I am in love

23 hours ago, Endoh said:

get some for next time ! Saniderm has a 10.2" x 2yd roll in a sealed bag (I keep it once opened in a ziplock bag for freshness) for $16.95 + Priority Mail® 2 - 3 days USPS: $6.56.  http://saniderm.com/shop/

this is what I always buy,I keep some onhand for my next tattoos.

Edited by Dan

I'm in the UK.

Ive found pharmacies that sell only the smallest size. Some can order the different sizes but it won't be here in time for my new tattoo. I've managers to find some saniderm online. Placed an order hoping it will come quicker. 

Worst comes to worst I use what I have and hope for the best. If they fail I'll go back to cling filming it and washing etc

5 minutes ago, Endoh said:

I'm in the UK.

Ive found pharmacies that sell only the smallest size. Some can order the different sizes but it won't be here in time for my new tattoo. I've managers to find some saniderm online. Placed an order hoping it will come quicker. 

Worst comes to worst I use what I have and hope for the best. If they fail I'll go back to cling filming it and washing etc

ya,saniderm has a international currency converter and ships worldwide.

5 hours ago, jaimilyn said:

One other option if it comes soon - you can start with regular wash and wrap for the first day or so, then switch over to saniderm as soon as it comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm apprehensive as I'd be done producing plasma by then and would be worried that it would straight up stick to the tattoo.  It it seems to be working for others so I guess shouldn't be a problem.

Hey everybody! Just stumbled across this site tonight and it's great! Question re: tegaderm...I think I may have effed up my healing process a little. I got several tattoos on my forearm done on Monday afternoon and it's now Wednesday evening, so I'm at about 56 hours of recovery. My guy used Tegaderm on me and everything was good on day one, except the bottom of the sleeve started leaking out on day 2. I dabbed the excess "juice" with paper towel and then sealed it off with surgical tape to stop the flow. Same today - more leaking out of the bottom, so I removed the surgical tape, wiped away, put some more Tegaderm on and a new batch of surgical tape.

From what I'm reading, it sounds possible that I could have "exposed" the "juicy" area of the tattoo to air and possible contamination with my hand. As I write this, it's a little itchy and wet underneath, and the "juice" is starting to stink (gross I know, but where else can I talk about issues like this? lol).

What's the best course of action for me right now? Should I just call it quits and remove everything? Or drain again, seal it up again, sleep on it and remove everything tomorrow evening once the 72 hour mark hits? Any advice would be much appreciated - you guys sound like an awesome bunch!

4 hours ago, BUSTER ROB said:

Hey everybody! Just stumbled across this site tonight and it's great! Question re: tegaderm...I think I may have effed up my healing process a little. I got several tattoos on my forearm done on Monday afternoon and it's now Wednesday evening, so I'm at about 56 hours of recovery. My guy used Tegaderm on me and everything was good on day one, except the bottom of the sleeve started leaking out on day 2. I dabbed the excess "juice" with paper towel and then sealed it off with surgical tape to stop the flow. Same today - more leaking out of the bottom, so I removed the surgical tape, wiped away, put some more Tegaderm on and a new batch of surgical tape.

From what I'm reading, it sounds possible that I could have "exposed" the "juicy" area of the tattoo to air and possible contamination with my hand. As I write this, it's a little itchy and wet underneath, and the "juice" is starting to stink (gross I know, but where else can I talk about issues like this? lol).

What's the best course of action for me right now? Should I just call it quits and remove everything? Or drain again, seal it up again, sleep on it and remove everything tomorrow evening once the 72 hour mark hits? Any advice would be much appreciated - you guys sound like an awesome bunch!

Might do you well to take it off in the shower, carefully.  Wash with anti-bacterial soap, carefully.  Let air dry completely 10-20 minutes, then re-patch with the derm.  Just to be on the safe side.

Hey guys so I got my tattoo yesterday. Pic 1

i took off the cling film(Saran wrap) after a few hours,washed patted dry, let it air dry for about 10-15 mins and applied an ointment I make myself. A few hours later washed again, applied saniderm (it arrived in time). 

First thoughts. It's difficult to apply well with the plastic on so I've peeled that off before the paper. Then when peeling the paper back I don't pull it all the way off giving me something to hold without touching the adhesive part. 

One sheet was about big enough. Just. 

Next morning i woke and its very very close to leaking and it's picked up some fluff under the edge (not near fresh tattoo) from bed sheets or clothes (see pic 2). So I removed it in the shower. Washed, air dry and reapplied another sheet. This time I chopped up a couple of sheets to enable more coverage past the tattoo (pic 3). 

Pic 4 shows where I added some extra to hold down the edges which wasn't adhering very well. 

Pic 5 shows what looks like water/bubbles. Likely to be from sweat I guess? It's very hot to touch being a fresh tattoo. I'm questioning how breathable these are! 

Its not the best application. It's hard to get it flat due to the shape of my arm so there were parts that would fold over kind of. Thought I'd had it down by starting in the middle and smoothing it on as I went but it didn't seem to work. 

Pic 6 shows an air bubble. In honesty along the crease/lines you can see it's got some air in there. It's also already started to roll up at the wrist after I put a jumper sleeve on to keep it out of the sun whilst I popped out for a few minutes. Loose fitting so I'm surprised this happened. 

Im reluctant to keep prodding at it or try and remove the air as I'd just be playing with it. Certainly watching the video on the saniderm site, the application in that video was a lot worse than mine! 

But what do do you guys think? I intend to leave this on until Monday that'll be 4 full days. Sound about right?

To the guy above, if it's smelling I'd take it off.

IMG_1442.JPG

IMG_1454.JPG

IMG_1455.JPG

IMG_1456.JPG

IMG_1457.JPG

IMG_1459.JPG

1 hour ago, Endoh said:

Hey guys so I got my tattoo yesterday. Pic 1

i took off the cling film(Saran wrap) after a few hours,washed patted dry, let it air dry for about 10-15 mins and applied an ointment I make myself. A few hours later washed again, applied saniderm (it arrived in time). 

First thoughts. It's difficult to apply well with the plastic on so I've peeled that off before the paper. Then when peeling the paper back I don't pull it all the way off giving me something to hold without touching the adhesive part. 

One sheet was about big enough. Just. 

Next morning i woke and its very very close to leaking and it's picked up some fluff under the edge (not near fresh tattoo) from bed sheets or clothes (see pic 2). So I removed it in the shower. Washed, air dry and reapplied another sheet. This time I chopped up a couple of sheets to enable more coverage past the tattoo (pic 3). 

Pic 4 shows where I added some extra to hold down the edges which wasn't adhering very well. 

Pic 5 shows what looks like water/bubbles. Likely to be from sweat I guess? It's very hot to touch being a fresh tattoo. I'm questioning how breathable these are! 

Its not the best application. It's hard to get it flat due to the shape of my arm so there were parts that would fold over kind of. Thought I'd had it down by starting in the middle and smoothing it on as I went but it didn't seem to work. 

Pic 6 shows an air bubble. In honesty along the crease/lines you can see it's got some air in there. It's also already started to roll up at the wrist after I put a jumper sleeve on to keep it out of the sun whilst I popped out for a few minutes. Loose fitting so I'm surprised this happened. 

Im reluctant to keep prodding at it or try and remove the air as I'd just be playing with it. Certainly watching the video on the saniderm site, the application in that video was a lot worse than mine! 

But what do do you guys think? I intend to leave this on until Monday that'll be 4 full days. Sound about right?

To the guy above, if it's smelling I'd take it off.

ya,IMO leave the outer clear plastic on until it's all applied,because you need to smooth out the film as you apply across the tattoo to get the air bubbles out,and if you peel off the outer skin first it is too hard to do that,

and trust me the forearm is an easy place to apply it,I have used that stuff all over my body including on my hands/knees,etc,etc.those are tough to apply,but it works there too.

also I wait for about 20 hours before applying the saniderm to let all the plasma/liquid come out ,it won't build up under the film if you wait longer.

so take it off,clean it with anti-microbial soap,dry it real good with clean paper towels, and re-apply a new piece of saniderm.

Edited by Dan

2 hours ago, Dan said:

ya,IMO leave the outer clear plastic on until it's all applied,because you need to smooth out the film as you apply across the tattoo to get the air bubbles out,and if you peel off the outer skin first it is too hard to do that,

and trust me the forearm is an easy place to apply it,I have used that stuff all over my body including on my hands/knees,etc,etc.those are tough to apply,but it works there too.

also I wait for about 20 hours before applying the saniderm to let all the plasma/liquid come out ,it won't build up under the film if you wait longer.

so take it off,clean it with anti-microbial soap,dry it real good with clean paper towels, and re-apply a new piece of saniderm.

I found the plastic film kept it to stiff to go on properly. But maybe that's just me. Maybe the size is what's making it difficult. 

I did remove it this morning and reapplied a new one. I'm not bothered about the build up underneath as that seems to be what it's meant to do. I doubt it will get anywhere near leaking now. I've patched the rolling part at my wrist just in case. 

Planning to remove it on Monday morning. I can't wait to see how it looks. That'll be 4 full days of it being wrapped in saniderm. That sound like a good time to remove it or shall I wait until 5 days?

2 hours ago, Dan said:

I thought the whole point of Saniderm and similar products was to keep in the plasma, enzymes etc. to help the healing process? At least that's what Saniderm and Dermalize's instructions said, right after getting tattooed to "let the tattoo bleed for 15 minutes, and then apply the first layer", more or less. I know everyone has their own way of healing tattoos, just thought I'd throw this out there, liquids building up under the bandage is normal and not dangerous at all :) 

I kept the first layer on for a little over 24 hours (about 27 if I recall correct). Washed the tat with the right kind of soap, let it dry completely and then smacked on a new bandage that I kept on for 4 days. Theeen Hustle Butter 3 times a day for 3 weeks. I actually still rub on some HB like once a day, and this is my 4th week. Dunno if I really need to though. 

I can't remember babying my other two tattoos this much. To be honest I don't remember using any ointments at all. And they both turned out just fine (aside the fact that shortly after getting my first I hated it lol). 

49 minutes ago, thyes said:

I thought the whole point of Saniderm and similar products was to keep in the plasma, enzymes etc. to help the healing process? At least that's what Saniderm and Dermalize's instructions said, right after getting tattooed to "let the tattoo bleed for 15 minutes, and then apply the first layer", more or less. I know everyone has their own way of healing tattoos, just thought I'd throw this out there, liquids building up under the bandage is normal and not dangerous at all :) 

I kept the first layer on for a little over 24 hours (about 27 if I recall correct). Washed the tat with the right kind of soap, let it dry completely and then smacked on a new bandage that I kept on for 4 days. Theeen Hustle Butter 3 times a day for 3 weeks. I actually still rub on some HB like once a day, and this is my 4th week. Dunno if I really need to though. 

I can't remember babying my other two tattoos this much. To be honest I don't remember using any ointments at all. And they both turned out just fine (aside the fact that shortly after getting my first I hated it lol). 

not sure, maybe just personal preference .I didn't like the buildup of liquid, I prefer the healing to remain dry under the film. :)

after many times using it, I have found what works best for me.

Edited by Dan

7 hours ago, oboogie said:

@Endoh, it looks totally normal. Quit worrying.

Thanks. 

Its not held up well to a warm environment. I work in a warm building and moving around builds up a sweat. Looks like it's lost its adhesiveness and there is a route to get air in at the top now. No 'derm to patch so will have to wait until I'm home. Could use some sellotape I guess!

Ok, so after much patching to stop it rolling up I am almost at four days with 'derm being on.

I'll take it off tomorrow afternoon which will be a number of hours over the 4 day point.

Right now, I can feel what I think is scabbing under the 'derm. Mainly in the black parts. On the writing at the top of the the tattoo the derm is not adhered but on the paw print, it is stuck down directly to it. I'm worried I'll pull off a scab when taking the 'derm off. 

What shall I do?? Leave it longer? 

Im getting white head spots in places. They aren't on or near the tattoo. But they are under the 'derm where I've overlapped/patched. Also red itchy rash type spots on my wrist. Again not near the tattoo. I always get a heat rash there in summer when I sweat so I was expecting that.

Edited by Endoh
Typo

I don't know who the blogger is or if they have tattoos, but I think you need to remove the stuff and let it heal. If it is sticking to the material, that means air has gotten in, and you should have taken it off days ago. It can always be retouched. I would take it off as soon as possible and let it get some air.

Edited by oboogie

Ok so here's what it looks like now. Plus photos of reaction to the saniderm. 

I have some ointment that I make myself to heal my tattoos which I'll use as it feels so tight.

Does it look ok?

Just for clarification. New tattoo is the paw print writing above and below and the rainbow effect. Not the two names with the evil eye heart.

IMG_1463.JPG

IMG_1464.JPG

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG