Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Bigboy67

8 hours ago, oboogie said:

Looks fine. Let it dry. I wouldn't put anything on it.

Not a big fan of leaving it dry. It seems to intensify my itching. I make a simple moisturiser which ink has 2 ingredients. Helps with the itchy feeling. 

Do you prefer to just leave things as dry as poss then?

Heres 2 shots of removing Tegaderm.
Saniderm used to make me break out in water blisters and hives after 2 days. This heal process was : see below

Tattoo was done on Friday 6-8pm

1) First 28 hours, wrap with Saran wrap only (washing periodically) (No moisturizer under saran wrap) 
2) Put first set of Tegaderm on after 28 hours
3) Peel off after 24 hours and wash - let dry for 20 mins and apply second set of Tegaderm ( Sunday night)
4) Leave (second set) on for 3 days and remove Wednesday night
5) Apply good moisturizer and heal from here etc.

Notice the red lines around the edges of where the Tegaderm was. That is a mild irritation from 4 days of Tegaderm. Something is different with the glue in Tegaderm VS the Saniderm for my body. 

The skin is wrinkled but healed over and is already peeling.
I soaked all of the Tegaderm in Coconut oil for 15 minutes before peeling off and it came of easy.
I also get one whole edge peeled back then pull it down very close to the skin so its NOT pulling the skin outward. this works for me. 

ribcage-close-5days.jpg

ribcage-far-5days.jpg

Mine looked nothing like that. Mine had very light scab/flakes. Basically peeling already. 

My after thoughts are inconclusive in honesty. I like the forget about it nature of the derm products. No washing drying creaming etc. No messy clothes or sheets. It's a real help. But my skin became irritated. It's 2.5 days since I removed it and it looks like I have bad exzema. Although not as bad as it was when I first removed it. It will heal but I think 4 days was too long for me. Plus I derm'ed it the night of and then changed it in the morning. Total hours is probably equal to 5.5 days maybe. 

I think the hassle free nature out weighs this. Maybe I'll try less time next time. Maybe keep the same patch on. Or don't patch with derm the first night etc. Find what works. 

Ill post a pic later but it's basic tattoo skin pealing stuff right now. Edit: it's up

IMG_1474.JPG

Edited by Endoh
Picture and typo

• 1 month later...

I apologize if this has been asked, I tried checking through the 26 pages but I gave up! 

I just stumbled upon saniderm and if I order through amazon it won't be here until Sunday. Here's my question, I'm getting tattooed in a couple of hours, can I wait more than 24 hours after getting tattooed to use this? It seems like something that is applied after you take the initial wrap off. I always unwrap my tattoos the same night, after 3 or so hours, so I wouldn't have the saniderm yet. 

Can I wait closer to 36 hours before applying the saniderm and it still be effective in the healing process?

4 minutes ago, ThatGalJenna said:

I apologize if this has been asked, I tried checking through the 26 pages but I gave up! 

I just stumbled upon saniderm and if I order through amazon it won't be here until Sunday. Here's my question, I'm getting tattooed in a couple of hours, can I wait more than 24 hours after getting tattooed to use this? It seems like something that is applied after you take the initial wrap off. I always unwrap my tattoos the same night, after 3 or so hours, so I wouldn't have the saniderm yet. 

Can I wait closer to 36 hours before applying the saniderm and it still be effective in the healing process?

Hi and welcome.

I usually don't apply Saniderm until about 24 hours after getting the tattoo, in that 24 hours I remove the saran wrap, wash with anti-microbial soap, put aquafor or cocoa butter on lightly, and re-wrap, I do this 3 or 4 times in that 24 hours, then I wash and dry one more time and apply the saniderm over clean dry skin,

IMO you should be fine if you keep a light coat of something on it, you could wait 36 hours or so to apply the saniderm,it would be ok to do that.(I wouldn't let it dry or scab before you put on the saniderm)

I leave the saniderm on after that for 4 to 6 days, I have it on still from a tattoo I got last Saturday(10/21), I put it on sunday(10/22) I plan on removing it tomorrow(10/28)

24 minutes ago, ThatGalJenna said:

Thank you the quick response on my newbie saniderm question! I've got a large upper arm piece and my elbow I'm doing this evening, so needless to say I wanted to jump at the chance to use this product if it can save me the headache of covering those two places with sticky aquaphor for 3 days!

yep ! I swear by this stuff, life is so much easier with it.

I've used get a term on 4 tattoos, but not in my elbow crease. It's always worked like gold. However, I just applied it to my elbow crease (with a slight bend) it lays down flat everywhere, but not around the bend (gap between seem and skin)  I'm assuming this is fine? Don't see any other way to get it to adhere at all angles since it's in the crease.

3 hours ago, Jkeith said:

I've used get a term on 4 tattoos, but not in my elbow crease. It's always worked like gold. However, I just applied it to my elbow crease (with a slight bend) it lays down flat everywhere, but not around the bend (gap between seem and skin)  I'm assuming this is fine? Don't see any other way to get it to adhere at all angles since it's in the crease.

IMO you should apply it to your elbow crease with your arm stretched out straight.

also I wash with a good anti-microbial soap using the clean palm of my hand,and clean the few inches all around the tattoo,then pat dry with clean paper towels,very dry ! then apply the saniderm/tagederm.you want all the natural skin oils and whatever off the skin.I just too my saniderm off tonight after 5 days,and it's pretty much healed.

at least that's how I would do it.

Edited by Dan

Help! I've used Tegaderm to heal my past seven or eight tattoos and haven't had issues with it until now. In fact, I love it.

I got my wrist tattooed three days ago and it has quite a bit of shading. I applied Tegaderm hours after the tattoo. Almost three days later,  one side lifted and ink leaked (during a date, of all times 😭) so today I decided to take it off and replace it. While washing it, I discovered that the lower part of the tattoo, the area from which the Tegaderm lifted, had peeled prematurely and is kind of red. It smarts too. It's really just that area that's painful and red and now covered with a thin layer of skin. It's also the area closest to my wrist, if that makes a difference. 

Have any of you experienced this? It's like my tattoo is in two different stages of healing. Is it time to panic? 

Edited by pam

Hey guys.

I just started my first tattoo yesterday. I'm using Dermalize Pro which is similar to second skin/saniderm.

It's a full back piece, so only the linework/stencil has been done so far. 

After the session, it was wrapped in cling film. 
After 3 hours, I took the cling film off, and washed it with tepid water and mild soap.
I then pat dry with a kitchen towel.
Then I applied the dermalize pro onto the tattoo area.

It's 18 hours since then. I've seen no oozing of excess ink or pus...

Is this normal? I thought the body was meant to push the bad stuff out?

1 hour ago, Ciel said:

Hey guys.

I just started my first tattoo yesterday. I'm using Dermalize Pro which is similar to second skin/saniderm.

It's a full back piece, so only the linework/stencil has been done so far. 

After the session, it was wrapped in cling film. 
After 3 hours, I took the cling film off, and washed it with tepid water and mild soap.
I then pat dry with a kitchen towel.
Then I applied the dermalize pro onto the tattoo area.

It's 18 hours since then. I've seen no oozing of excess ink or pus...

Is this normal? I thought the body was meant to push the bad stuff out?

sounds ok to me.everyone heals differently.I have used it many times ,and I have noticed that full color tattoos seem to ooze more than B&G.

6 hours ago, pam said:

Help! I've used Tegaderm to heal my past seven or eight tattoos and haven't had issues with it until now. In fact, I love it.

I got my wrist tattooed three days ago and it has quite a bit of shading. I applied Tegaderm hours after the tattoo. Almost three days later,  one side lifted and ink leaked (during a date, of all times 😭) so today I decided to take it off and replace it. While washing it, I discovered that the lower part of the tattoo, the area from which the Tegaderm lifted, had peeled prematurely and is kind of red. It smarts too. It's really just that area that's painful and red and now covered with a thin layer of skin. It's also the area closest to my wrist, if that makes a difference. 

Have any of you experienced this? It's like my tattoo is in two different stages of healing. Is it time to panic? 

maybe to be safe,check with your doctor for infection.

but please don't panic.

Edited by Dan

52 minutes ago, Dan said:

maybe to be safe,check with your doctor for infection.

but please don't panic.

Oh god, this kinda made me panic. 😂 

But I am holding on to the fact that it's not as painful as it was a few hours ago and that it isn't oozing. Will have it checked, thanks.

I had to replace my tega derm after oozing. It's in my elbow crease. Had some acne that popped (yuk) when taking it off. I washed it best I could with antibacterial soap. Hopefully, it won't cause an issue (as far as spreading bacteria)  

Edited by Jkeith

Has anyone else had issues with their skin forming red skin at the edges of where their derm product laid when stuck onto the skin?

I just took off my dermalize pro, and I can dark red skin around the edges... I think it was where the skin was being tugged, since the shape of my back constantly enlarges and shrinks as I move.

I also think it's this, because the internal areas (tattood areas, as well as the bare skin around the line work) isn't red.

Anyone come across this?