Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Bigboy67

40 minutes ago, Alissa.aolani said:

Hello guys I’m new here and have been reading all the pages and thought maybe someone could help! I’ve used saniderm multiple times and this is the first time anything like this has happened. Every other time I’ve used it it’s worked great. I got the first wrap applied right after the tattoo and got a new one in the second day after cleaning it. This is the third day and I notice there is a lot of plasma and redness underneath it. I message my artist and he tells me to take it it off and wash it. Then where the plasma had collected this rash developed and it’s pretty painful. Has anyone else had this problem or anything similar? Also there is a white cast that bled over the side that didn’t come off after washing. I’m pretty concerned and hope it doesn’t get infected 🙃 thanks I’m advance for any help!

the first two pictures shows where the plasma collected and the rash under. 

The last two show it after it’s been taken off and washed 

5725E164-829A-4C96-B9E3-7DC5CCB3C3C6.jpeg

808973C4-DED8-452A-ABF5-FF5F1863EEED.jpeg

B9E2D129-00E6-43AD-A3C2-CBE27051B386.jpeg

F58CE4B6-19EB-4931-A53C-75874356F591.jpeg

that looks normal,the redness looks like bruising from removing and reapplying the saniderm,that happens to me too,especially on my legs.

the white part is probably your skin looking funny from under the saniderm with the liquid,that should go away,

now the rash & the pain I'm not sure about,I have not gotten a rash, go see your doctor ?!?!

and I have found that the plazma will ooze out more on color tattoos than B&G,

try  removing it and cleaning and reapplying it one more time,if it keeps oozing then leave the saniderm off at that point and use cocoa butter or aquafor very lightly.

Edited by Dan

1 hour ago, Johnblaze26 said:

I just got a new tattoo and I want to use saniderm again but I work outside and it's going to be in the 90s this weekend will the saniderm hold up?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have had issues in the heat,  it lasted most the day,

but what the hell,  try it and see !

just make sure when you put it on it's shaved for the entire area that the saniderm will be on,

make sure it's clean and dry. And put it on with 2 or 3 inches extra around the tattoo.

I have had issues in the heat,  it lasted most the day,
but what the hell,  try it and see !
just make sure when you put it on it's shaved for the entire area that the saniderm will be on,
make sure it's clean and dry. And put it on with 2 or 3 inches extra around the tattoo.
Yeah I shaved and gave my self extra room incase it comes off

I just reapplied saniderm (2nd piece) and my tattoo Is on fire underneath the derm will that feeling go away or should I take it off

On 5/24/2018 at 4:34 PM, Johnblaze26 said:

Yeah I shaved and gave my self extra room incase it comes off

I just reapplied saniderm (2nd piece) and my tattoo Is on fire underneath the derm will that feeling go away or should I take it off

Saniderm typically doesn't hold up when the body heats up and sweats and will soon peel off after some time. Different people will react differently to Saniderm and some people will have different experiences themselves on separate tattoos. I've noticed that on certain parts of the body where the saniderm may stretch or shrink depending on the movement of your body that there can be irritation under and/or around the film. Depending on the level of pain you're experiencing and the visible irritation, that will most likely be your call to make on removal. I have also experienced some mild discomfort the first day I apply saniderm. I will wait around 24-36 hours(depending on the size of the tattoo and amount of tattooing) after getting tattooed to clean the tattoo and let it air out and dry a bit then apply a layer of saniderm as to avoid the build-up of plasma and other fluids. Hope this helps!

Hiya - long-term lurker with another "is this normal?" question, haha. I've been using Tegaderm to heal my pieces for over a year now, including a couple pretty large ones, with no issues. I started my second A4-size thigh piece on Friday and have had the Tegaderm on for about 48 hours now (I wait roughly 24 hours after being tattooed to apply it so there isn't a giant buildup of gunk and plasma) and woke up this morning with about 8-10 small green dots throughout the piece that are slightly raised and have a tiny amount of redness around them.

They don't hurt anymore than the rest of the tattoo and don't feel warm to the touch, but should I be taking the Tegaderm off just in case? I'm diabetic and use Tegaderm to reduce the chance of infection while healing, and up until now it has worked perfectly in that regard, but if something icky is brewing underneath then obviously I don't want to trap that. This is the first time I've been tattooed in summer heat, so I wonder if this has something to do with excess sweating that doesn't happen to me in other parts of the year. FWIW, the pimples are only directly on the lines, nothing on open skin. (The yellow bruising is completely normal for me, I always bruise like a peach!)

IMG_4022.JPG

IMG_4023.JPG

IMG_4026.JPG

Edited by openupyourskull

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently healing a piece on my arm, and started with Dermalize. But then the airline company managed to misplace my bag with the roll in it, so I had to buy something called TattooMed while waiting for my Dermalize. It's supposed to be the same thing as Dermalize, Saniderm etc. At first it felt great, more comfortable than Dermalize actually. But after I removed it, I had an allergic reaction. My arm got red/pink ish, and after that faded away, I now have some bumps and it itches. Never reacted like this to Dermalize or Saniderm. 

Just thought I'd share my experiences if someone's considered trying it out - although everyone reacts differently. 

2 hours ago, thyes said:

I'm currently healing a piece on my arm, and started with Dermalize. But then the airline company managed to misplace my bag with the roll in it, so I had to buy something called TattooMed while waiting for my Dermalize. It's supposed to be the same thing as Dermalize, Saniderm etc. At first it felt great, more comfortable than Dermalize actually. But after I removed it, I had an allergic reaction. My arm got red/pink ish, and after that faded away, I now have some bumps and it itches. Never reacted like this to Dermalize or Saniderm. 

Just thought I'd share my experiences if someone's considered trying it out - although everyone reacts differently. 

That's exactly what Saniderm does to me.

Sucks, but luckily the itching is worst on places where my skin isn't freshly tattooed. I can see the bumps real good now, hope it goes away sooner than later.. 

How often do you guys apply lotion? I didn't get a hold of Hustle Butter this time, but my artist recommended Pantothenol so that's what I've been using now, 3 times a day. 

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience with applying Tegaderm after the first four days?

I'm completely new to both tattooing and Tegaderm, I'm hoping to get some advice/reassurance. Anyway, I got my first tattoo as part of a Friday the 13th flash deal. It's pretty small and simple, just a mountain range over the ditch of my left elbow. My tattoo artist wrapped it and told me I could take the bandaging off after two hours. I left it on for about six and then started cleaning it 2-3 times a day with soap, applying A&D ointment after as instructed. It started itching around Day 4 and my friend offered me Tegaderm to prevent scratching in my sleep. I put on a 6 inch x 8 inch (15cm x 20cm) Tegaderm and I've had it on for a day with no issues. There's slight leaking but from what I've read on this forum, that's normal. 

Is it OK to keep the Tegaderm on to stop myself from scratching? When should I take it off? Should I be worried about interrupting the scabbing/peeling process by covering the tattoo?

tat2.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hi all, as usual I am a newbie with a question. Read a lot of this thread but couldn't get a good answer; I was tattooed on the 11th, it's now the 14th, have had Tegaderm on since it was finished (it got too plasma-y about 2 or 3 hours after I got it, so I washed and replaced it). Currently, it still feels warm to the touch, but what's concerning me is little wrinkles/pockets that have hard, dried ink/plasma/a mix. I think they are attached to the skin and are making things feel a bit itchy.

Is this normal? Are they attached to the tattoo like scabs, and will damage it when I peel off the tegaderm? They pretty much cover the entire tattoo area, as it was the original plasma and ink leakage, so I'm worried they're still attached and will pull ink when I take this off.

I can take it off now, after 3 days, or is it better to leave it on for another 3 or 4 days?

2 hours ago, SStu said:

generally 4-5 days is the needed duration for the effectiveness of tegaderm. once removed, a warm soapy cleaning will remove the plasma/ink residue. 

Great, thanks. I’m on day 4 now. So the hard plasma/ink isn’t scabbing that will pull out ink when I remove the derm, and just needs washing away?

edit: so I removed it, I think it was peeling underneath, unsure if dried plasma/ink wasn’t a problem. Photos attached, just want to make sure I did this right! First is how the film looked, then peely skin, film with ink imprint 😛, evidence of dried plasmink as well as peel, more peel, then post-clean photo (still has peely skin). 

Normal?

3B2EDB5A-BFE8-415A-900A-5F90457877F4.jpeg

A8335455-0F55-45DE-87C3-AD4B6FBA6D6D.jpeg

46DA4EFE-1A8E-4D39-82EE-193D4961A7F1.jpeg

98FCC68D-270F-4D54-B3FB-52552ED27BBF.jpeg

70E636CB-A578-4A0A-A46F-5BE7184AF9C8.jpeg

FE8EEFDD-C216-493E-B68A-00591FE580EA.jpeg

Edited by Blue_Seas
Adding photos, update

1 hour ago, Blue_Seas said:

Great, thanks. I’m on day 4 now. So the hard plasma/ink isn’t scabbing that will pull out ink when I remove the derm, and just needs washing away?

edit: so I removed it, I think it was peeling underneath, unsure if dried plasma/ink wasn’t a problem. Photos attached, just want to make sure I did this right! First is how the film looked, then peely skin, film with ink imprint 😛, evidence of dried plasmink as well as peel, more peel, then post-clean photo (still has peely skin). 

Normal?

I use saniderm all the time,and yes,all your photos look normal,looks fine to me,

the wrinkles and flaky skin will all go away,just keep a light coat of Aveeno on it a few times  a day.

and your tattoo is pretty cool looking,I like it.

Edited by Dan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, tcgjake said:

First time using Saniderm and wow, what a difference! Here is my tattoo about 12 hours after removing the Saniderm. A bit dry and perky but no scabbing whatsoever. Dont think I’ll go back to healing without it. 

I swear by that shit.

love it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 8:13 PM, Blue_Seas said:

Normal?

3B2EDB5A-BFE8-415A-900A-5F90457877F4.jpeg

A8335455-0F55-45DE-87C3-AD4B6FBA6D6D.jpeg

46DA4EFE-1A8E-4D39-82EE-193D4961A7F1.jpeg

98FCC68D-270F-4D54-B3FB-52552ED27BBF.jpeg

70E636CB-A578-4A0A-A46F-5BE7184AF9C8.jpeg

FE8EEFDD-C216-493E-B68A-00591FE580EA.jpeg

Hi, today I had the same situation. My Saniderm was dry and when I took it away my tattoo was already completely flaking. I removed it on 4th day. I’m freaked out having pulled away flakes and skin removing the Saniderm... 

In the end yours healed fine and no damage?

Edited by Alereno

43 minutes ago, Alereno said:

Hi, today I had the same situation. My Saniderm was dry and when I took it away my tattoo was already completely flaking. I removed it on 4th day. I’m freaked out having pulled away flakes and skin removing the Saniderm... 

In the end yours healed fine and no damage?

that all looks 100% normal to me,I have used saniderm many times.