Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Bigboy67

hello, i got my first tattoo last weekend and he put the saniderm on me and i followed everything put a new one on the next morning all of that, i decided to take the second saniderm off after three days since it’s a pretty small tattoo and it has a decently thick scab on it still. should i contact my artist for another saniderm or should i follow the anti bacterial soap wash and aquaphor steps until it falls off? Also do you think i hurt the tattoo in any way?

Edited by abh12301

What were your instructions? You should not take samiderm off on day 3. Best options are change after first day. Change to 3rd patch after seeping is done but before 48 hours as web site states and as I have learned. Leave 3rd patch on for 4-5 days after that. But if you removed on day 3 and have scabs then use normal healing methods. That’s what has worked for me. 

Edited by necrosuit

1 hour ago, abh12301 said:

hello, i got my first tattoo last weekend and he put the saniderm on me and i followed everything put a new one on the next morning all of that, i decided to take the second saniderm off after three days since it’s a pretty small tattoo and it has a decently thick scab on it still. should i contact my artist for another saniderm or should i follow the anti bacterial soap wash and aquaphor steps until it falls off? Also do you think i hurt the tattoo in any way?

it shouldn't have a scab on it after 3 days under saniderm,it shouldn't have a scab at all on it after 3 days.

sounds like something was done wrong,

so yes,from this point ,keep it clean and put a very light application of something like Aquafor or Aveeno lotion.

Edited by Dan

9 hours ago, necrosuit said:

What were your instructions? You should not take samiderm off on day 3. Best options are change after first day. Change to 3rd patch after seeping is done but before 48 hours as web site states and as I have learned. Leave 3rd patch on for 4-5 days after that. But if you removed on day 3 and have scabs then use normal healing methods. That’s what has worked for me. 

my instructions were to remove the first saniderm the next morning after a shower and replace with the second one leave it there for 3-4 days and when taken off should be 100% healed then just continue to apply light lotion after that. i never got a third saniderm and this was day 3 about 12 hours away from day 4 and it was completely done with discharging and the saniderm had started to become kind of dirty around and peeling off on a couple edges. so we took it off and now it’s all scabbed  which i understand isn’t supposed to happen with saniderm. but i will follow the other method now with this tattoo. it’s small so hopefully the scab will start to fall off soon?

Edited by abh12301

8 hours ago, Dan said:

it shouldn't have a scab on it after 3 days under saniderm,it shouldn't have a scab at all on it after 3 days.

sounds like something was done wrong,

so yes,from this point ,keep it clean and put a very light application of something like Aquafor or Aveeno lotion.

will it still heal properly?

On 12/19/2018 at 12:43 PM, Alereno said:

Hi, today I had the same situation. My Saniderm was dry and when I took it away my tattoo was already completely flaking. I removed it on 4th day. I’m freaked out having pulled away flakes and skin removing the Saniderm... 

In the end yours healed fine and no damage?

Hi, yes it healed wonderfully, doesn't look like I pulled any colour out, or flakes when removing the saniderm. Would 100% do this again for next tattoo, although perhaps I'd leave it on a little longer if possible, to try and dry up more of those dried bits and flakes. After removing this I washed and moisturised it, after a few more days all the flakes went and the skin stopped being raised and the ink settled (so if I wore it longer next time I'm hoping there'd be even less flaking by the time I take it off).
I also think it wasn't applied flush enough; there were some air bubbles or little ridges that allowed the gunk to settle and make the chunkier dried bits that I was worried would pull the ink. The areas that were flush against my skin had no dried fluid and that's what I'd aim for next time.

Here's pics of it all healed. Obviously a little faded from fresh, but it's still wonderfully bright (and my skin is so pale the white has even held great!)

IMG_4220.jpg

IMG_4221.jpg

IMG_4222.jpg

@abh12301 Yes, it'll be fine. Just keep it clean and don't scratch the scabs off. It should be noted that no tattoo is "healed" once the saniderm comes off - the cover just keeps it clean and minimizes scabs/peeling during the healing process. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before your skin is smooth again - and a full month before it's close to being 100% healed.  

7 minutes ago, SStu said:

@abh12301 Yes, it'll be fine. Just keep it clean and don't scratch the scabs off. It should be noted that no tattoo is "healed" once the saniderm comes off - the cover just keeps it clean and minimizes scabs/peeling during the healing process. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before your skin is smooth again - and a full month before it's close to being 100% healed.  

thank you very much. i was a little paranoid with this being my first tattoo 

• 3 weeks later...

4 tattoo's healed with -derm, first 3 being only line work. By the time I removed the derm (first sheet, minimal weeping) they were flat, never had any tightness, sensitivity or peeling. Basically didn't have to do anything for the healing. 

The latest piece is larger and full colour so it was a little different. Replaced my saniderm in under 24 hours, kept the second piece on for 6 days. It's 2 days after an my tattoo is flat, vibrant and done flaking. 

After washing I let air dry and apply a drop or two of squalene oil. If it's really dry and flaky I thickly apply lotion 
(tattoo goo because I'm using it up and it's thin so it's easy to remove excess) and let that sit in for a minute before wiping away what wasn't absorbed. After that, if I run a clean hand down the tattoo, the extra dead skin rolls off without pain or pulling. What is still attached to living tissue breaks off so I am not risking pulling out ink. (Without saniderm, I don't try this until it's been a few weeks and it's going through a second peel.) 

It's certainly not the recommendation, but it really works for me. 

17 minutes ago, xaila13 said:

4 tattoo's healed with -derm, first 3 being only line work. By the time I removed the derm (first sheet, minimal weeping) they were flat, never had any tightness, sensitivity or peeling. Basically didn't have to do anything for the healing. 

The latest piece is larger and full colour so it was a little different. Replaced my saniderm in under 24 hours, kept the second piece on for 6 days. It's 2 days after an my tattoo is flat, vibrant and done flaking. 

After washing I let air dry and apply a drop or two of squalene oil. If it's really dry and flaky I thickly apply lotion 
(tattoo goo because I'm using it up and it's thin so it's easy to remove excess) and let that sit in for a minute before wiping away what wasn't absorbed. After that, if I run a clean hand down the tattoo, the extra dead skin rolls off without pain or pulling. What is still attached to living tissue breaks off so I am not risking pulling out ink. (Without saniderm, I don't try this until it's been a few weeks and it's going through a second peel.) 

It's certainly not the recommendation, but it really works for me. 

I have been using saniderm for several years and many tattoos now and I love that stuff.

Edited by Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all-- new to the forum. I apologize if this has already been answered here and I did try to read through all 29 pages before posting.

I've used saniderm several times before and absolutely loved it-- quick healing every time and zero side effects/irritation. As instructed by my artists, I've always let it stay on for a few days and let it do its thing until it begins to peal or leak, usually about 3 days. I was tattooed 4 days ago, kept the saniderm on for about 2 days (until there began to be a little leakage at the bottom of the bandage). I removed SLOWLY while in the shower. Dried off the tattoo with a paper towel before I was going to apply coconut oil (what I've always used), which is when I noticed a raised, blister-like bump.

I read that this could be caused from too much moisture, so I decided to let it dry out for a day. Today the blister is much smaller, but now red, irritated and still a little raised. 

I've never had any issued in 12yrs with healing until now. Getting pretty concerned now, so if anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks everyone! 

8 hours ago, Wilkins512 said:

Hi all-- new to the forum. I apologize if this has already been answered here and I did try to read through all 29 pages before posting.

I've used saniderm several times before and absolutely loved it-- quick healing every time and zero side effects/irritation. As instructed by my artists, I've always let it stay on for a few days and let it do its thing until it begins to peal or leak, usually about 3 days. I was tattooed 4 days ago, kept the saniderm on for about 2 days (until there began to be a little leakage at the bottom of the bandage). I removed SLOWLY while in the shower. Dried off the tattoo with a paper towel before I was going to apply coconut oil (what I've always used), which is when I noticed a raised, blister-like bump.

I read that this could be caused from too much moisture, so I decided to let it dry out for a day. Today the blister is much smaller, but now red, irritated and still a little raised. 

I've never had any issued in 12yrs with healing until now. Getting pretty concerned now, so if anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks everyone! 

Is the bump in the tattoo or outside the tattoo where the tegaderm was placed? Is there more than one bump (re: has it spread)? Is it an actual blister? 

19 hours ago, Wilkins512 said:

Mine almost always leaks after two days. I guess I'm just lucky like that. Anyway, It may have been where the adhesive was? I got blisters on my leg after I pulled off the Saniderm. It healed after a few days. Might be that? I don't know.

17 hours ago, Gingerninja said:

Is the bump in the tattoo or outside the tattoo where the tegaderm was placed? Is there more than one bump (re: has it spread)? Is it an actual blister? 

Thank you for your response!

It started as what I would call an actual blister inside the tattoo itself, not on the edges. It has now appeared to have drained, but left behind a red blemish. I've attached a photo... sorry it's not the best quality, but it's on an awkward place for me to get a photo myself. What I'm worried about is that once it heals, there will be discoloration on the tattoo. The area was originally supposed to be flesh colored, not red. 

IMG-3649.JPG

6 hours ago, oboogie said:

Mine almost always leaks after two days. I guess I'm just lucky like that. Anyway, It may have been where the adhesive was? I got blisters on my leg after I pulled off the Saniderm. It healed after a few days. Might be that? I don't know.

Not where the adhesive was, its pretty central to the tattoo. 

11 hours ago, SStu said:

Also, I've never had liquid leakage after 2 days. Did the saniderm go on immediately after the tattoo was finished (in which case initial leakage had just been being held there and it took 2 days for it to reach the edge of the saniderm)?

The saniderm was applied by my artist about 20min after the tattoo. 

I'd contact the artist or a doc for an opinion but if it's not hot or spreading, my thought it's not an infection. Depending upon how you heal, it may take a few months to resolve completely. Bummer...I am sorry. I use tegaderm on 99% of my work and have never had an issue. Have you read the tegaderm/saniderm thread on this forum? I don't put my tegaderm on until the next day.

11 hours ago, Wilkins512 said:

The saniderm was applied by my artist about 20min after the tattoo. 

Yeah, like @Gingerninja I put tagaderm on the next morning after unwrapping the cellophane, bacterial soap cleaning and drying. That eliminates the ooze pooling and provides the opportunity for it to stay on for 3-4 days. 

That being said, the 1st time I used it it went on 20 minutes after the tattoo was finished and that ooze pool stayed there for the duration. No problems experienced. 

21 hours ago, Gingerninja said:

I'd contact the artist or a doc for an opinion but if it's not hot or spreading, my thought it's not an infection. Depending upon how you heal, it may take a few months to resolve completely. Bummer...I am sorry. I use tegaderm on 99% of my work and have never had an issue. Have you read the tegaderm/saniderm thread on this forum? I don't put my tegaderm on until the next day.

Thanks for your response again! I’ve contacted my artist but she’s at a loss. I’ll look into the tegaderm/saniderm thread. Thank you for the rec. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Before getting my second tattoo, I searched all over the internet about healing with saniderm.  My first tattoo was traditional healing, which was a pain.  This is my healing experience (with pics) of the second tattoo  I healed using saniderm (cover up of tattoo #1).

Tattoo artist placed the saniderm within minutes of finishing up the tattoo.  It's on my lower back, so I wore yoga pants.  Day 2 and 3 I wore dresses.  By day 4 I was wearing jeans.

Kept the original saniderm on for 5 days.  No changing after one day.  It was August in Texas, which means hot and sweaty.  No issues having the saniderm stick. 

Removed in the shower by myself (a little tricky) on day 5.  Washed with non-scented /sensitive soap.  Dried with paper towel.  Applied hustle butter after removing Saniderm (small amount twice a day).

Very minimal itching and pealing.

This collage shows what it looks like on Day 1, 4 , 5 (immediately after removing) 6 (morning after removal), and 8 (showing a little of the pealing). 

Saniderm.thumb.jpg.0008b848c25214b7e105e78071d6cf54.jpg

This is what it looks like  healed, about three months after it was done.IMG-8478.thumb.JPG.19bee6fdec220a0d89eac3b9b1b83a24.JPG

I love Saniderm and wouldn't go back to traditional healing.  It's just so convenient. Hope this helps someone else!