Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Bigboy67

Anyone have some tips for the 'derm being extra stuck to your skin?  I've tried getting in the shower, using soap, using olive oil, peeling it over itself, pulling it away from itself and pushing my skin down.  I'm lost and in pain, help.

5 hours ago, Oiocha said:

Anyone have some tips for the 'derm being extra stuck to your skin?  I've tried getting in the shower, using soap, using olive oil, peeling it over itself, pulling it away from itself and pushing my skin down.  I'm lost and in pain, help.

nope, I just pull it off !  at least you know you had it on correctly.

Hey guys! Late to the game here lol

Recently got a back tattoo. Mostly black, pink, and a tad of yellow. I'll say 80% of the tattoo was done with shading needle, 27 needles. I use tatuderm, and he applied it directly after finishing the session. I left it on until the next day, 12 noon. Took it off in the shower, washed with antibacterial soap. Let it dry and applied my moisturizer. Left it out for 30 minutes. Wiped it down with a thin layer left of my moisturizer, and applied more tatuderm. Repeated this until three days. Second say left it on a full day and took it off after work. It wept intensely with plasma for those three days, tampered off slowly, Started to notice an order. I took it off and acne had appeared, bumps underneath the derm. One or two popped 🤢 

I had red bumps and it seemed like my skin was try when stretching, still does. The redness faded to discoloration on my own skin where the derm sat. That looks like it's super dry and peeling where it's not my tattoo. Looks like I have scars now spread out on my back. My tattoo also needs a color touch up, looks like the black bled into the pink a little. Stained it.

Will the discoloration that's on my skin go away? Looks like a ton of dark spots, or sunburn but not red.. idk if I'm making sense lol

Any advice would be awesome! 

12 hours ago, Chaotic said:

Hey guys! Late to the game here lol

Recently got a back tattoo. Mostly black, pink, and a tad of yellow. I'll say 80% of the tattoo was done with shading needle, 27 needles. I use tatuderm, and he applied it directly after finishing the session. I left it on until the next day, 12 noon. Took it off in the shower, washed with antibacterial soap. Let it dry and applied my moisturizer. Left it out for 30 minutes. Wiped it down with a thin layer left of my moisturizer, and applied more tatuderm. Repeated this until three days. Second say left it on a full day and took it off after work. It wept intensely with plasma for those three days, tampered off slowly, Started to notice an order. I took it off and acne had appeared, bumps underneath the derm. One or two popped 🤢 

I had red bumps and it seemed like my skin was try when stretching, still does. The redness faded to discoloration on my own skin where the derm sat. That looks like it's super dry and peeling where it's not my tattoo. Looks like I have scars now spread out on my back. My tattoo also needs a color touch up, looks like the black bled into the pink a little. Stained it.

Will the discoloration that's on my skin go away? Looks like a ton of dark spots, or sunburn but not red.. idk if I'm making sense lol

Any advice would be awesome! 

Were these the instructions your artist gave you?  Because according to the manufacturer you're not supposed to put anything under the derm.

My sister had a rash with the saniderm, just at the edges.  After about two weeks it went back to normal.  

27 minutes ago, michi0709 said:

Were these the instructions your artist gave you?  Because according to the manufacturer you're not supposed to put anything under the derm.

My sister had a rash with the saniderm, just at the edges.  After about two weeks it went back to normal.  

The adhesive causes rashes on me, too. It always goes away.

Also, definitely don't put anything under the saniderm. That is contrary to the instructions.

4 hours ago, oboogie said:

The adhesive causes rashes on me, too. It always goes away.

Also, definitely don't put anything under the saniderm. That is contrary to the instructions.

He did not give me these instructions! I'd put it on but pat it off, until you couldn't feel anything there but the skin itself wasnt completely dry. I can see this being the reason why I broke out like I did. The places I circled in my photo are the discoloration. Little dots that look like scars, it's all over my back, mostly in places that weren't tattooed at all. First time with a back piece and a large area.

20200205_162735.jpg

Edited by Chaotic

18 minutes ago, Chaotic said:

He did not give me these instructions! I'd put it on but pat it off, until you couldn't feel anything there but the skin itself wasnt completely dry. I can see this being the reason why I broke out like I did. The places I circled in my photo are the discoloration. Little dots that look like scars, it's all over my back, mostly in places that weren't tattooed at all. First time with a back piece and a large area.

20200205_162735.jpg

I imagine it will go away. It's probably just the adhesive and the lotion you trapped under there (even if just a little).

Edited by oboogie

Hey guys! I've used tegaderm on my last few tattoos and just got one done on my inner bicep/armpit. After one day I noticed the derm has lifted a bit off a tattooed area in my armpit. It was still covered by the derm, but it was very noticeably loose and floppy. I'm at work so I quickly covered it and taped it up to get it to stick again, but I'm unsure what to do now. Should I replace the whole dressing? Or just apply more to get it to securely stick again when I get home? I really don't want it to get infected, but I also don't want to F*** with the tegaderm healing process...

Also, I had the derm wrapping around my arm into my shoulder so it would be secure, but I appear to have gotten some tension blisters from having the ends in such a high movement area...

Edited by DDar

15 hours ago, DDar said:

Hey guys! I've used tegaderm on my last few tattoos and just got one done on my inner bicep/armpit. After one day I noticed the derm has lifted a bit off a tattooed area in my armpit. It was still covered by the derm, but it was very noticeably loose and floppy. I'm at work so I quickly covered it and taped it up to get it to stick again, but I'm unsure what to do now. Should I replace the whole dressing? Or just apply more to get it to securely stick again when I get home? I really don't want it to get infected, but I also don't want to F*** with the tegaderm healing process...

Also, I had the derm wrapping around my arm into my shoulder so it would be secure, but I appear to have gotten some tension blisters from having the ends in such a high movement area...

I'd take it off and reapply. Once the corner lifts like that on a tattooed area, I consider it breached. I never use the stuff on high movement areas. It doesn't stay put for me.

Yeah. I'd take it off, clean it good with anti-bacterial soap and let it dry for 30 minutes or so. Then re-apply new derm. 

You only really need to worry about infection if you get some foreign material in/on the wound area. Many, many tens of thousands (or more?) of tattoos over the ages healed just fine in the same area prior to derm even being invented. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I'm new here and new to Saniderm. I got my tattoo yesterday (I'm about 30 hours out) and my artist told me to keep the bandage on for about 3 to 4 days. I've been reading this thread and am a little worried about whether or not I need to change my bandage. There is dark fluid in my bandage (which I'm assuming is the black and purple ink mixing with bodily fluids) and I also have some fraying of the bandage on the sides and a little bit of swelling at the top edge of the bandage. This is on my inner forearm. Does this look normal or should I remove, clean, and re-bandage? Thanks.

20200224_230948.jpg

20200224_231003.jpg

Update. I followed Dan's advice and removed the original bandage. Then I cleaned thoroughly with Dial Gold. I let air dry for about 20 minutes, then I put a fresh Tegaderm on. I think I may be allergic to these bandages. I have attached a pic. Does this look like an allergic reaction to the bandage or could it be something more serious with the tattoo? There is a much smaller amount of fluid, but now I have developed this cluster of red spots. They look like small splotches/bruises.  The swelling is still present a bit, but the area isn't hot and I don't have a fever. The new one has been on for about 14 hours. I also did wear a long sleeve shirt to work today over it, but it was tight and it was made out of cotton. Recommendations on next steps appreciated. 

20200225_150946.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I never had any fluid in my original derm... I was told to keep mine on for 6 days total. Just finished cleaning it for the first time and I've noticed little lines on my wrist and in the color work where the tape had folded on itself and my skin. Hopefully it doesn't affect the end results? 

But is it normal to not have had any fluid leak at all? I also have eczema if that matters? 

6 hours ago, Caseylynne said:

I never had any fluid in my original derm... I was told to keep mine on for 6 days total. Just finished cleaning it for the first time and I've noticed little lines on my wrist and in the color work where the tape had folded on itself and my skin. Hopefully it doesn't affect the end results? 

But is it normal to not have had any fluid leak at all? I also have eczema if that matters? 

no fluid is fine and the wrinkles from the film will just go away.

• 3 months later...

Hey, so I just got a whole inner forearm sleeve, my tattoo parlor applied the saniderm almost 24 hours ago (when I got the tattoo) and he told me I can leave it on up to 5 days if it doesn’t leak or have water in it. Is this correct? I read on the saniderm  website and it says to change out after 24 hours and apply a second wrap, however he said it should be fine? I’m a little confused lol

12 hours ago, Rooziehd said:

Hey, so I just got a whole inner forearm sleeve, my tattoo parlor applied the saniderm almost 24 hours ago (when I got the tattoo) and he told me I can leave it on up to 5 days if it doesn’t leak or have water in it. Is this correct? I read on the saniderm  website and it says to change out after 24 hours and apply a second wrap, however he said it should be fine? I’m a little confused lol

Personally I've had it on for 4 days - and it was gross slush inside but it's all natural and "clean" - and everything came our perfect. Others have changed it after a day because they weren't comfortable with the slush. Those came out fine, too - as long as you're impeccable with keeping it clean in between. 

5 hours ago, SStu said:

Personally I've had it on for 4 days - and it was gross slush inside but it's all natural and "clean" - and everything came our perfect. Others have changed it after a day because they weren't comfortable with the slush. Those came out fine, too - as long as you're impeccable with keeping it clean in between. 

Okay, so I’ve had on my saniderm for about 1 and 1/2 days now, it’s red and has heat radiating, is that Normal?

19 hours ago, Rooziehd said:

Okay, so I’ve had on my saniderm for about 1 and 1/2 days now, it’s red and has heat radiating, is that Normal?

Sometimes the heat can just be the tattoo, some places it radiates heat more than others... red is normal also, after all your skins just been pierced millions of times with a needle and it’s fighting to heal. Where is the tattoo? I found my elbow was swollen, red and radiated HUGE amounts of heat for like a week. It sucked. When I finished the rest of my sleeve, there were only sections that stayed warm for probably 3 days and then started to ease off. 

I used tegaderm for my sleeve (two sessions).. I had a reaction to the tegaderm with the first session, left it on for two days and had to remove it because  I started getting a rash around the ink and adhesive... it’s important to remember heat, inflammation etc on tattoos is pretty normal for the first few days but if you’re concerned you’re having a reaction, remove it and make sure you wash it regularly. The second session on my sleeve, tegaderm also was applied because I hate leaking shit all over my clothes and sheets.... I removed it the day after (in the evening) and ordered a roll tegaderm and reapplied for another two days (surprise... no reaction!) I personally think the ink and extra fluid underneath the tegaderm caused my reaction the first time because it had dried up by the time I took it off and felt really tight.... I’m by no means a professional but this was my experience. Goodluck with healing! 

On 6/26/2020 at 9:48 PM, Rooziehd said:

My bad. Just saw this. I haven’t had my forearm done so not sure but I know the inner section of my bicep swelled like a mofo, hurt like a mofo and I hated life for a week... it was red, hot, and sucked 😂

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...