Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Bigboy67

2 hours ago, Lini said:

Hii

So I got a tattoo done on Saturday its Tuesday here as of now so I had a normal covering for first few hours then  I washed it with water and mild soap yesterday evening I was asked to come back to the shop to put on the dermalize film it was all fine but since today evening it's been itching like the area near the outside ends of the film is itchy and the inner parts were itching my i just tapped it once or twice it was fine but the outside area of the film is itchy is it the adhesive or is it something serious? I scratched the out side a little which made a small red mark I'm ignoring the itching tendency also a little bit of the film came peeled out a little from edge which I trimmed a little I hope it okay? My piece is on the right side of my ribs so lots of movement cause of work It's a like bit sore in some areas but other than that it's better than yesterday the soreness 

Also there is build up of some fluid... Is all these fine or something serious 

I need help please or is it fine I'm freaking out 

Fluids normal, itchings normal, first tattoo? 

On 12/30/2020 at 1:34 AM, Hollie said:

Fluids normal, itchings normal, first tattoo? 

Hi noo i got my first tattoo 6 years back so the process n all have changed a little but.. Update - I removed my dermalize film today so the area have healed pretty good.. Some parts are a little bit bumpy is that okay?? Like to be bumpy and also like it's a tiny bit what do I say sore like tiny bit.. Is it fine or is something wrong? 

I have over thinking issues so I can't help it 

44 minutes ago, Lini said:

Hi noo i got my first tattoo 6 years back so the process n all have changed a little but.. Update - I removed my dermalize film today so the area have healed pretty good.. Some parts are a little bit bumpy is that okay?? Like to be bumpy and also like it's a tiny bit what do I say sore like tiny bit.. Is it fine or is something wrong? 

I have over thinking issues so I can't help it 

I don’t mean to sound rude but getting tattoos and overthinking don’t match.

and a “tiny bit sore like tiny bit”.. tattoos hurt, during and after, certain parts of my sleeve hurt for two weeks and were swollen for a week at least... if you’re worried; go to a doctor, or back to the tattoo artist, none of us are able to tell you what’s right or wrong for your body. 

Also, 6 years ago, the fundamentals of getting a tattoo don’t change; they itch, they hurt.. sometimes with time people forget how bad it sucks.. 

and bumpy? What do you mean bumpy? Filled with fluid kinda bumpy or itchy bite bumpy? I had a couple of “bumps” that went away but if we’re talking bumpy all over.. it could be a reaction to the Ink, the dressing or it could be something else... but if you’re an over thinker - me saying all of these things is probably not going to help, neither will doctor google. Give it a week, if it gets worse during that time. Go to the doctor.

Edited by Hollie

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! 😊 I’m a newbie here and just gotten my first tattoo on my right upper thigh yesterday afternoon (I’m from Singapore so the tattoo was completed on 25/01 Monday, at around 5.30pm).

I just found out about the existence of saniderm/tegaderm upon chancing this website on Google. After the completion of my coloured tattoo, the tattoo artist didn’t put any cling wrap (saran wrap) on it.

I had already washed my tattoo with an antibacterial soap and pat dried it with paper towels. Do I apply the Tegaderm on my tattoo right now? Or should I put on cling wrap and wait till the 24th hour mark to apply the Tegaderm? 

Would appreciate it if you guys could give me some advices for this!! 🥺 

1 hour ago, hannahlsj said:

Hey guys! 😊 I’m a newbie here and just gotten my first tattoo on my right upper thigh yesterday afternoon (I’m from Singapore so the tattoo was completed on 25/01 Monday, at around 5.30pm).

I just found out about the existence of saniderm/tegaderm upon chancing this website on Google. After the completion of my coloured tattoo, the tattoo artist didn’t put any cling wrap (saran wrap) on it.

I had already washed my tattoo with an antibacterial soap and pat dried it with paper towels. Do I apply the Tegaderm on my tattoo right now? Or should I put on cling wrap and wait till the 24th hour mark to apply the Tegaderm? 

Hey. Welcome! You can put it on there now if you want, but I'd just keep it clean and let it heal at this point.

11 hours ago, hannahlsj said:

Hi, hannahlsj, so are the many tattoo supplies that you read of from North America on the Web readily available in Singapore? (like you speak as if some are not, maybe; and is getting tattooed as popular in Singapore as it is now in, say, North America, do you think?)

The healing stage does of course need to be thought through before the inking.

Edited by onlyme

11 hours ago, onlyme said:

Hi, hannahlsj, so are the many tattoo supplies that you read of from North America on the Web readily available in Singapore? (like you speak as if some are not, maybe; and is getting tattooed as popular in Singapore as it is now in, say, North America, do you think?)

The healing stage does of course need to be thought through before the inking.

Hi onlyme!
Unfortunately most of the tattoo supplies, especially aftercare products like those renowned brands frequently mentioned by y’all (hustle butter, tattoo goo, balm tattoo, after inked etc.) aren’t readily available at the local pharmacies or drugstores. I have to preorder via international Amazon.
The only thing I manage to find is the 3M Tegaderm and Smith & Nephew Opsite Flexifix. 
Honestly speaking, having visible tattoos in Singapore isn’t as well accepted as in USA due to typical Asian parents being strict, my mum is still nagging at me for getting a tattoo🥲. 

8 hours ago, onlyme said:

Hi hannahlsj, so how is the healing doing now?

I think you guys in Singapore are the other end of the clock from North America, right?

Part of the hazard of getting prompt replies to your question from the other side of the globe,  I guess...

I managed to apply the Tegaderm over my tattoo after I showered this morning, there’s minimal plasma buildup underneath the ‘film so I guess it’s healing smoothly as of now

Yeah agree, different time zone means I can’t check the replies promptly 🤣

2 hours ago, pidjones said:

Hannah, every artist has their own post-tattoo method. Yours sounds much like mine - bandage for about half-hour, wash, pat dry, keep it clean, leave it alone. Apply non-sented moisturizer lightly when it gets dry/starts to peel. But some use the derms, some use cling wrap. My artist's method has done very well for me.

Hi pidjones! 
Yeah I roughly figured out that my tattoo artist is into the old school dry healing method. I personally have dry skin which is why I bought the film to try as I wanna minimise the chances of getting scabs/flakes, and also the weather in my country is horribly humid 🥺

I ordered the after inked moisturiser on Amazon and luckily it arrived today, just in time for me to apply in a few days time after I removed the film 

Edited by hannahlsj

11 minutes ago, hannahlsj said:

Hi onlyme!
Unfortunately most of the tattoo supplies, especially aftercare products like those renowned brands frequently mentioned by y’all (hustle butter, tattoo goo, balm tattoo, after inked etc.) aren’t readily available at the local pharmacies or drugstores. I have to preorder via international Amazon.

Good, you can save money. I have hundreds of hours in the chair healed perfectly fine with a little cocoa butter.

Hi onlyme!
The only thing I manage to find is the 3M Tegaderm and Smith & Nephew Opsite Flexifix. 
Honestly speaking, having visible tattoos in Singapore isn’t as well accepted as in USA due to typical Asian parents being strict, my mum is still nagging at me for getting a tattoo🥲. 

hannahlsj: Well, like you say, if you have to pre-order supplies via Amazon, etc., it shows just how much advance planning you guys must have to do, if the some of the products are not readily available.

Of course, in some countries' cultures it's more of a man thing to do and maybe your mom's reaction is something to do with this; although it's widely known that in North America now 60%-70% of clients of tattoo parlors are female.

I managed to apply the Tegaderm over my tattoo after I showered this morning, there’s minimal plasma buildup underneath the ‘film so I guess it’s healing smoothly as of now

Yeah agree, different time zone means I can’t check the replies promptly 🤣

Hi pidjones! 
Yeah I roughly figured out that my tattoo artist is into the old school dry healing method. I personally have dry skin which is why I bought the film to try as I wanna minimise the chances of getting scabs/flakes, and also the weather in my country is horribly humid 🥺

I ordered the after inked moisturiser on Amazon and luckily it arrived today, just in time for me to apply in a few days time after I removed the film 

hannahlsj: Glad you are doing okay; yes, humidity must be a factor with you guys in Singapore; I hadn't thought of that (it would be also at time in places like Florida, where there are many tattoo businesses; Miami Ink is a v. well known TV show).

7 minutes ago, onlyme said:

hannahlsj: Well, like you say, if you have to pre-order supplies via Amazon, etc., it shows just how much advance planning you guys must have to do, if the some of the products are not readily available.

Of course, in some countries' cultures it's more of a man thing to do and maybe your mom's reaction is something to do with this; although it's widely known that in North America now 60%-70% of clients of tattoo parlors are female.

Precisely, it is such a hassle to order and wait for the necessary aftercare items sigh 😞. Hopefully one day in the near future, some of these reputable brands will officially distribute their aftercare products in Singapore and other Asian countries. 

12 minutes ago, onlyme said:

hannahlsj: Glad you are doing okay; yes, humidity must be a factor with you guys in Singapore; I hadn't thought of that (it would be also at time in places like Florida, where there are many tattoo businesses; Miami Ink is a v. well known TV show).

Yeah the humidity is annoying, I have to switch on two fans before I head to bed because aircon will dry out my skin too much. Oh ya I’ve heard about the Miami Ink tv show, they have closed down their shop and moved to different studios 

6 minutes ago, onlyme said:

@hannahlsj PS: It does often happen that, when moms realize just how much determination went into the inking that they get thoroughly accustomed to it, and even smile about it to others; on this site, various other posters have said similarly.

True, my friend’s mum also had the same reaction as my mum did when she found out about her daughter’s tattoo, after a period of time she just stop scolding my friend hahah I guess it takes time for the parents to get used to it (due to the stigma with tattoos)

1 hour ago, oboogie said:

Those products aren't necessary. I have dry skin, too, but I dry heal. I don't find my dry skin has any impact on healing my tattoos. To each her own!

I’m currently schooling so I don’t wanna risk my clothes getting sticked to the plasma from the tattoo while in class 😞 Will perhaps try dry healing for my second tattoo if it’s a small-medium sized one to see how it goes!

14 minutes ago, hannahlsj said:

Precisely, it is such a hassle to order and wait for the necessary aftercare items sigh 😞. Hopefully one day in the near future, some of these reputable brands will officially distribute their aftercare products in Singapore and other Asian countries. 

Yeah the humidity is annoying, I have to switch on two fans before I head to bed because aircon will dry out my skin too much. Oh ya I’ve heard about the Miami Ink tv show, they have closed down their shop and moved to different studios 

True, my friend’s mum also had the same reaction as my mum did when she found out about her daughter’s tattoo, after a period of time she just stop scolding my friend hahah I guess it takes time for the parents to get used to it (due to the stigma with tattoos)

hannahlsj: Oh okay, I hadn't heard about the Miami Ink studio moving; you from Singapore evidently keep up with stuff in North America... (It's one of a number of similar TV shows, anyway.)

About strict parents; well, in North America, too, there are many strict parents although maybe the 'strictness' works out in different ways; e.g., in North America Hannah your name is known to mean 'favored by God' and many ppl from believing families have tattoos; I saw a quote from the Bible Belt which indicated just how many younger ppl from churches in the Bible Belt have ink - often in faith based designs - so for moms it's not unusual over here, even if the family is strict and believing, when their young ppl have it done.

Edited by onlyme

@hannahlsj Re. SIngapore, I would have thought that Singapore, with all its agents and entrepot facilities, would be exactly the sort of place where commercial supplies, including for tattoos, would soon be easily made available.

22 minutes ago, hannahlsj said:

I’m currently schooling so I don’t wanna risk my clothes getting sticked to the plasma from the tattoo while in class 😞 Will perhaps try dry healing for my second tattoo if it’s a small-medium sized one to see how it goes!

Not at all surprising you're already planning your next session; it often works that way. Sometimes it doesn't, though.

3 hours ago, Hogrider said:

Good, you can save money. I have hundreds of hours in the chair healed perfectly fine with a little cocoa butter.

Hogrider: A later starter, but if now already a veteran: so you must know how to save a lot of money by now.

Edited by onlyme