Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Bigboy67

@Killercook76 No it hasn't been on for just one day. I've had it on since Thursday afternoon! That makes today day #4. So my hope is that the skin under the scabs is nearly healed.

* edit - And that's what I'm thinking will happen is that the scabs will flake right off like what @9Years says.

@Killercook76 No it hasn't been on for just one day. I've had it on since Thursday afternoon! That makes today day #4. So my hope is that the skin under the scabs is nearly healed.

* edit - And that's what I'm thinking will happen is that the scabs will flake right off like what @9Years says.

Yeah not sure about healing a scab like that usually to heal a scab it takes exposure to oxygen? I'm no doctor but... Next time I would do the tegaderm before you start the peeling . Like 10 to 15 hrs after your tattoo sitting

Yeah not sure about healing a scab like that usually to heal a scab it takes exposure to oxygen? I'm no doctor but... Next time I would do the tegaderm before you start the peeling . Like 10 to 15 hrs after your tattoo sitting

The experiences with healing a scab with tegaderm seem to be mixed according to various Googlings. We'll see! Like I've said though, the scabbing was barely starting, so there really isn't much. I'll be sure to keep you all in the loop.

**edit Okay so the one spot on my lat felt pretty good, so I stripped the cover off. You can see the darkened spot which was ready to scab when I covered it. Now the cover is off, lotioned up, and it looks and feels pretty good. I'm going to keep the portions on my mid back covered for a while longer since it is such a high contact area. Once again, I had it covered from Thursday afternoon until now, Monday afternoon.

I'm pretty sure that I have nothing to fear when I am ready to take the rest off.

Ignore the crappy healed wind bar that is circled. I was trying to say I wish I had tegaderm when I was trying to heal that, but MS paint was not cooperating so I just left the circle.

Hey I never updated my experience. To recap, I put Derm on right as the scabbing was starting, about 4 days post tattoo. I had it on from a Thursday to a Monday. Scabs were pretty minimal when I took off the derm. I guess being trapped under a fake skin for so long they softened up and didn't do any damage.

Very excited now for the rest of the tattoo now that I know I won't need to be suffering through endless touch up sessions. And sessions to touch up the touch ups.

Hey guys, long time lurker-first time poster. I have followed this forum and have been using Tegaderm for the past four days on a fresh piece. I had it on for 72 hrs then I took a shower and cleaned it off so I could look at it and give it a fresh derm.

Have any of you noticed your tat looking wrinkled or having lines because of the derm? I'm getting a little worried.

Hey guys, long time lurker-first time poster. I have followed this forum and have been using Tegaderm for the past four days on a fresh piece. I had it on for 72 hrs then I took a shower and cleaned it off so I could look at it and give it a fresh derm.

Have any of you noticed your tat looking wrinkled or having lines because of the derm? I'm getting a little worried.

@bobo9175 I don't think you have anything to worry about. You may have stretched the Tegaderm a little too much causing it to bunch up the skin a little, or maybe it's swollen a bit still. Let that baby set for a while, reserve real judgment for another few weeks plus.

I always have this and it does go away really quite quickly - in my case I'm certain that it's because I apply the 'derm when the area is still swollen.

As the swelling does down the area of skin it's applied to shrinks so the 'derm and skin wrinkles. As long as I'm sure the skin is closed up I apply a thick layer of Vaseline once the washed tattoo is properly dried out and wrap with clingfilm (can't remember the American name - the clear food wrap stuff) for a couple of hours. My skin is stupidly dry though so it's always looking for an excuse to dry out and split.

Hi guys, I've been lurking on this thread for awhile, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. When, exactly, should I first apply the tegaderm? My tattoo is about four and a half hours old now, and I was planning on keeping it uncovered overnight, washing it in the morning, and then applying the -derm. Does this sound right?

Hi guys, I've been lurking on this thread for awhile, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. When, exactly, should I first apply the tegaderm? My tattoo is about four and a half hours old now, and I was planning on keeping it uncovered overnight, washing it in the morning, and then applying the -derm. Does this sound right?

Keep it plastic wrapped for 12 or so hours, then wrap it for 3-4 days @IndieSould

Yeah that's expensive, when you are using acres of the stuff every year! Cling film is £1 for 60 metres of the stuff, sometimes cheaper in bulk!

Also if you want to talk idiot factor, trust me, certain people will find a way to forget everything you just told them the second they leave the studio. There will never be an aftercare method that someone will not find a way to fuck up monumentally.

Also if you want to talk idiot factor, trust me, certain people will find a way to forget everything you just told them the second they leave the studio. There will never be an aftercare method that someone will not find a way to fuck up monumentally.

That's so true. I think the best heal I ever had was my first tattoo because the artist gave me a print-out of instructions and I followed them to the T.

Based on my experience (used twice recently on medium sized pieces) with tegaderm is the outcome is very similar to my experience with re-wrapping with plastic wrap/ cling film. 99% of the tattoo heals easily and perfectly but with both products I get small areas of less than ideal scabbing. Tegaderm is a million times more comfortable and in my opinion it protects the tattoo from potential over saturation when showering (I have a theory that scabbing is worsened by daily saturation and drying). The are also no weird plastic crunchy/bunching noices when wearing tegaderm. With generic plastic wrap I can sometimes sound like you are wearing a diaper when you walk around with a wrapped up thigh. I am already spending hundreds of dollars on each of my tattoos so I don't mind spending an extra few dollars on tegaderm for the comfort and peace of mind.

Has ANYBODY noticed a single drawback of using -derm products? I am really starting to wonder how this isn't industry standard at this point...

Because some things don't really need to change regardless of new gimmicks. This seems to be a decent product but to say this is the end-all of tattoo healing procedures would be like saying that the MP3 is the end-all of music media. Vinyl still works fucking great.

Sure, vinyl works great, but most people have moved on due to advancements. I love how a product which has not a single complaint, costs 4 bucks for an enormous sheet, and has had every user praise it for one reason or another.... Is called an "expensive" "gimmick"... Give me a break. Will some people heal fine and not notice improvement using it? Maybe.... But why are we spending thousands and thousands on tattoos and all the other care items, just to scoff at something that genuinely works? Just because something is considered a standard doesn't mean all people have to use it (rotary vs. cool anyone?), but lets not pretend like the majority of people wouldn't benefit, it's horseshit

Sure, vinyl works great, but most people have moved on due to advancements. I love how a product which has not a single complaint, costs 4 bucks for an enormous sheet, and has had every user praise it for one reason or another.... Is called an "expensive" "gimmick"... Give me a break. Will some people heal fine and not notice improvement using it? Maybe.... But why are we spending thousands and thousands on tattoos and all the other care items, just to scoff at something that genuinely works? Just because something is considered a standard doesn't mean all people have to use it (rotary vs. cool anyone?), but lets not pretend like the majority of people wouldn't benefit, it's horseshit

People prefer and are more comfortable with different methods. Nothing wrong with that.

Industry standard? It's not because if you ask the thousands of tattooers they will all tell you different ways of how you should handle your aftercare. Do what works for you.. If you don't think this product is for you then don't use it!!! HAHA!!

Anyway I think it's not used by more shops and artist is because it is more expensive . I think it's worth it because at the end of the day touch ups can get expensive for various reasons.

Any aftercare can be messed up by human error so go by whatever you like.

This tread is for those who are interested in using it. Feel free to take our advice or move on and not use it. Plain and simple..

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't exactly call this a gimmick just a different way to approach aftercare.

So far I haven't heard anything negative from users that I know. I'm sure someone has something they don't like about it but that is with everything.