Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Bigboy67

I wasn't trying to say don't use this or that someone is wrong for doing so or anything like that; pretty sure I did say it seems like a decent product. The word gimmick was not used in a negative light or intended to be taken in a way as negative; just that some methods that have always worked over time still will.

And I'm the first one to say that everybody heals different with different methods. I've skinned the cat 20 different ways and they all work. Some are better with some people than others.

Perhaps music media was a poor example; media has decreased in sound quality with each new advancement in technology for the sake of making it convenient. Analog tape is still the best but the most impractical. I wasn't trying to make it sound like this is worse because it's newer.

Haha yeah you are correct in saying aftercare whatever way you choose can be equally effective. If it's not broke don't fix it is a good way to follow aftercare.

The reason I started using it was because of a artist who i highly respect recommended it . If I saw this forum without the recommendation of these artist I wouldn't have used it.

Also the old way wasn't working that well for me. It wasn't consistent .. Some times I would get scabs other times no. Last time I used the old way I got some nasty looking scabs mostly because it was in a area that my jeans would rub against it.

This product gives you the freedom to not worry about many negative things about using plastic wrap. For example after a tattoo session when I get home it seems the plastic always comes half way . No matter how careful I am.

Try it! I have a friend that didn't want to use it because he wasn't sure. After countless appointment on his back and all the scabs he is finally going to use it on his next tattoo.

Change is always difficult but it wouldn't hurt to at least try the product then form whatever opinion you have.

I'm not shitting on old school healing methods, I've used them my whole life up until now and have only had maybe 4 rough heals out of maybe 30 sessions. But I am saying 100% that if you don't heal perfectly 100% of the time then it's batshit crazy to not try something new.

As far as the cost goes? It's so negligible that it's silly to even discuss cost, but if a tattooer doesn't want to fork over the couple bucks why couldn't he or she just pass on the cost?

You were the one who asked for downsides, those are the downsides. The cost is not negligible, for a large studio of full time artists it would be insane to order enough for everyone to use for every tattoo. Plus you have to use cling film for a variety of other things anyway, surfaces, chairs, armrests, spray bottles, you always have some very close to hand, it's always there, its much more convenient. It sounds like you are a lobbyist for one of these companies!

I think Tegaderm has already been standardized in the medical/hospital industry for several years. I bought a 50 pack of 4x4's for $30 from a medical supply store.

I believe Saniderm and Tatuderm are specifically marketed for the tattoo market and offer bulk qty discounts intended for shop use or shop sale to the public with a profit.

Just joking man, it is a good healing method, I just always think of the reaction I would have got from the boss of a studio I used to work in if I suggested we started ordering it for all the customers. It would have gone along the lines of "Shut the fuck up ballbag, go and clean some tubes".

I guess some studios could order some in and offer it as an alternative for regular customers, if they wanted to pay a little extra, for some areas of the body I might definitely order some for myself to use.

Yeah, she told me it's basically the same thing as saran wrap or telfa, except more expensive.

A nurse said tegaderm is the same thing as saran wrap ?

Is saran wrap:

sterile and sealed

water proof

adheres and seals to skin

breathable

designed to stay on wound continuous for up to 7 days

Telfa is a bandage that absorbs blood and other fluids.

Kind of surprised a nurse would say this.

I've decided to try this with my next tattoo. Gimmick or not, I'm tired of my work pants getting greasy, and I'm especially interested in trying it with my foot since I can't wear sandals to work. I ordered the Saniderm because I liked the different size options (my tattoos are not small), and upgraded the shipping to priority so hopefully it'll be here by the weekend so I can try it after my next sitting (which is on Friday).

I've never had scabbing issues, but I hate the peeling, and my last tattoo peeled really bad. I am interested to see the effect using this will have.

I bought some of this stuff, but my friend who is a nurse, a smart person, and who has several tattoos told me it's worthless. So I took it back.

Seriously?? does that even sound smart? haha if that is true why isn't there rolls of plastic wrap at most hospitals ? Think about it!! hahaha!!!

So, my first experience with this stuff was kinda rough, I had issues with the application at first, couldn't quite get it to stick where I wanted it, my left hand is far from dexterous.... so I had my girlfriend help me apply some and it was pretty comfortable. Then I got my car stuck in the 8" of fresh snow, and in my frantic shoveling to un-stuck it, I worked up quite a sweat and half of it peeled off under my jacket. So I went back to my usual rewrapping method and everything is going smoothly.

Maybe next time I get a different size or something, the 4x10" was tough for me to work with, even outside of the other problems I had.

Not quite a bad review, just not the best experience... and I wasted $25 on the stuff.

So, my first experience with this stuff was kinda rough, I had issues with the application at first, couldn't quite get it to stick where I wanted it, my left hand is far from dexterous.... so I had my girlfriend help me apply some and it was pretty comfortable. Then I got my car stuck in the 8" of fresh snow, and in my frantic shoveling to un-stuck it, I worked up quite a sweat and half of it peeled off under my jacket. So I went back to my usual rewrapping method and everything is going smoothly.

Maybe next time I get a different size or something, the 4x10" was tough for me to work with, even outside of the other problems I had.

Not quite a bad review, just not the best experience... and I wasted $25 on the stuff.

well maybe it was sweating that much that killed the adhesive? Yeah I wouldn't recommend doing anything that strenuous after putting on the tegaderm.

Just imagine if you put the plastic wrap before you started shoveling snow?

If you decide to use it again just make sure you have a couple of days of relaxation after.

A nurse said tegaderm is the same thing as saran wrap ?

Is saran wrap:

sterile and sealed

water proof

adheres and seals to skin

breathable

designed to stay on wound continuous for up to 7 days

Telfa is a bandage that absorbs blood and other fluids.

Kind of surprised a nurse would say this.

Seriously?? does that even sound smart? haha if that is true why isn't there rolls of plastic wrap at most hospitals ? Think about it!! hahaha!!!

People don't go to hospitals for minor injuries. A tattoo is essentially a bunch of paper cuts.

From what I understand, the main draw of products like tatuderm is they are supposed to prevent scabbing. However according to my friend, hard scabbing is prevented by keeping the area moist (but not too moist). I'm sure this derm stuff is probably good at keeping things moist and germ-free, it just doesn't seem to be worth the price to me.

People don't go to hospitals for minor injuries. A tattoo is essentially a bunch of paper cuts.

From what I understand, the main draw of products like tatuderm is they are supposed to prevent scabbing. However according to my friend, hard scabbing is prevented by keeping the area moist (but not too moist). I'm sure this derm stuff is probably good at keeping things moist and germ-free, it just doesn't seem to be worth the price to me.

I've used it on three of my tattoos. Did your friend ever use this product on a tattoo?

As far as price goes scabs can be fixed but not all the time. I have a couple that have been touched up and still noticeable... Since using this product I haven't developed any scabs. The three tattoos I used it where big .

Honestly what is the point commenting on a product you never used before on a tattoo??