Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Bigboy67

I've used it on three of my tattoos. Did your friend ever use this product on a tattoo?

As far as price goes scabs can be fixed but not all the time. I have a couple that have been touched up and still noticeable... Since using this product I haven't developed any scabs. The three tattoos I used it where big .

Honestly what is the point commenting on a product you never used before on a tattoo??

I don't think she ever used this product, but she and her husband never had healing problems.

I'm commenting on this product because I'm trying to determine if it's actually worthless. In an ideal world, I would like to avoid wrapping my arm in ANY sort of plastic, but if everyone says it works I'll consider trying it.

When you got scabs, did you pick at or scratch the tattoo? Did you try to keep it from drying out too much?

I don't think she ever used this product, but she and her husband never had healing problems.

I'm commenting on this product because I'm trying to determine if it's actually worthless. In an ideal world, I would like to avoid wrapping my arm in ANY sort of plastic, but if everyone says it works I'll consider trying it.

When you got scabs, did you pick at or scratch the tattoo? Did you try to keep it from drying out too much?

I'm not saying wrapping with plastic is bad.. Most people still follow this as their aftercare.

An artist who tattooed me wrapped my ribs with this product after a tattoo session. Since then I've used it for all my tattoos. I haven't had one scab. Healing for me has been extremely comfortable and easy since then.

In the past when I developed scabs it would accidentally get caught on my clothing. I didn't pick at it or scratch it..

This product was not developed for tattoos. It's just some people found that it worked well to heal them. Many people will say just use the old plastic wrap because people have been doing this way for years.

All I am saying is I've used it and many well know tattooer love this product and used it on themselves..

It's easy for people to say this is some kind of gimmick when they themselves never used this product on a tattoo.

The choice is yours... If you don't want to spend a couple of dollars more for tegaderm. Then don't and keep on doing what you are doing..

btw a 50 pack of tegaderm 4x4 size is like 25 dollars. That equals to like 50 cents per sheet. Usually it takes maybe a couple of dollars worth to cover a decent size tattoo.

For your first tattoo I would follow exactly the aftercare the artist recommends.

I'm not saying wrapping with plastic is bad.. Most people still follow this as their aftercare.

An artist who tattooed me wrapped my ribs with this product after a tattoo session. Since then I've used it for all my tattoos. I haven't had one scab. Healing for me has been extremely comfortable and easy since then.

In the past when I developed scabs it would accidentally get caught on my clothing. I didn't pick at it or scratch it..

This product was not developed for tattoos. It's just some people found that it worked well to heal them. Many people will say just use the old plastic wrap because people have been doing this way for years.

All I am saying is I've used it and many well know tattooer love this product and used it on themselves..

It's easy for people to say this is some kind of gimmick when they themselves never used this product on a tattoo.

The choice is yours... If you don't want to spend a couple of dollars more for tegaderm. Then don't and keep on doing what you are doing..

btw a 50 pack of tegaderm 4x4 size is like 25 dollars. That equals to like 50 cents per sheet. Usually it takes maybe a couple of dollars worth to cover a decent size tattoo.

My point is how can she say its useless or anything if she never used it? does that make sense to you???

- - - Updated - - -

For your first tattoo I would follow exactly the aftercare the artist recommends.

yes good advice!

I'm interested in trying this, but honestly, I'm pretty turned off from it from the way that some of you are posting about it like you're getting paid a commission from the company.

Graeme I see that you have some nice tattoos. I'm sure you have a lot of good advice to people who aren't as tattooed as you. Having said that you comment on almost every thread I've read on this website. It seems you always have a very negative way about you..

If you don't like how the way I comment on this product. You have a choice not to use it.

I admit that I comment on this a lot and I can see how people can be sick of it.. but think about..

If someone wrote a thread that plastic wrap is garbage for tattoos .. I'm sure you would have a lot to say about how well it heals your tattoos.

Not trying to start a fight.. I know i don't know you personally but what is the point with all the hating...

If you were a tattooer that is a different story but ... this site is becoming more and more like high school.. no?

Graeme I see that you have some nice tattoos. I'm sure you have a lot of good advice to people who aren't as tattooed as you. Having said that you comment on almost every thread I've read on this website. It seems you always have a very negative way about you..

If you don't like how the way I comment on this product. You have a choice not to use it.

I admit that I comment on this a lot and I can see how people can be sick of it.. but think about..

If someone wrote a thread that plastic wrap is garbage for tattoos .. I'm sure you would have a lot to say about how well it heals your tattoos.

Not trying to start a fight.. I know i don't know you personally but what is the point with all the hating...

If you were a tattooer that is a different story but ... this site is becoming more and more like high school.. no?

My opinion on healing tattoos is that there isn't a single correct way to do it. I have a way of healing that works for me, I've shared that information here because some people might find it useful, but ultimately what works best for people is going to depend on their bodies and how they heal, as well as factors that are more or less out of their control such as how the tattoo was applied in the first place. I rewrap with plastic wrap and it works for me. If somebody tries doing that and it doesn't work for them, that's fine too and I'm not going to argue with them about it. Eventually, through trial and error, people are going to find methods of healing that work for them.

What I don't like about this thread is how a bunch of you--not just limited to you, @Killercook76 , but I certainly include you here--try to counter anybody who has anything critical to say about this product. I was interested in what @exume said about it because I work a physical job where I exert myself, sweat, and get dirty, so how -derm adheres under those conditions, especially as compared to saran wrap and medical tape, is something that I'm especially curious about if I'm to try this product. Your response to him ("Just imagine if you put the plastic wrap before you started shoveling snow?") made you sound like a corny door-to-door salesman. I want accounts of first-hand experience, not a sales pitch.

My opinion on healing tattoos is that there isn't a single correct way to do it. I have a way of healing that works for me, I've shared that information here because some people might find it useful, but ultimately what works best for people is going to depend on their bodies and how they heal, as well as factors that are more or less out of their control such as how the tattoo was applied in the first place. I rewrap with plastic wrap and it works for me. If somebody tries doing that and it doesn't work for them, that's fine too and I'm not going to argue with them about it. Eventually, through trial and error, people are going to find methods of healing that work for them.

What I don't like about this thread is how a bunch of you--not just limited to you, @Killercook76 , but I certainly include you here--try to counter anybody who has anything critical to say about this product. I was interested in what @exume said about it because I work a physical job where I exert myself, sweat, and get dirty, so how -derm adheres under those conditions, especially as compared to saran wrap and medical tape, is something that I'm especially curious about if I'm to try this product. Your response to him ("Just imagine if you put the plastic wrap before you started shoveling snow?") made you sound like a corny door-to-door salesman. I want accounts of first-hand experience, not a sales pitch.

Ok I will agree that I do come off negative too.

I do agree that there are a lot of different ways in terms of aftercare. I think at the end do what works for you.

ive read a lot of threads and you do the same thing. haha! it's kinda funny how you are saying something that you do a lot of too.

Having said that.. There are some people who will say something negative without using this product. That is why I get kinda corny or whatever you want to call me. Like saying this is no good when they never used it and taking advice of people who never used it too.

Salesman? I wish !!

Ya.... I criticize people that haven't used it and then come to a thread dedicated I the method of healing and downplay it's effectiveness without trying, or give "my buddy said" advice... Bottom line is there isn't a single person that used it and said their tattoos didn't heal equal to or better than any other way they've tried...

So now that I found a rad aftercare product, I have to be a company rep? Hilarious. Not shilling for a company, just a regular guy trying to spread the word on a product that revolutionized my own personal healing process. Nobody has to be here in this thread, it wasn't meant to spring discussion about whether or not you like something that you've never even used

In regard to the sweating/work issue @Graeme , while I had my ribs covered I was working in a kitchen where air temps hover around 50c (it was in the middle of a heat wave), I experienced heavy sweating and rotational movement and a shitload of grease, with no edge peeling or adhesive degradation. This was only for about 4 hours at a time though. I also could wear a belt, pretty tight over the area, the following day without rubbing. Can't remember which @exume was using but in this case I used tegaderm. /nosalesman ?

I'lll throw my recent experience out there. I bought a roll of Saniderm to try out on the tattoo I got last weekend. Before this I always washed 2-3x's a day/ointment 2-3 days/then lotion method. Worked fine, but was annoying as I am getting my entire leg done and having ointment all over it for days at a time was pain.

So last weekend I got a tattoo pretty high on my thigh, unwrapped and washed as soon as I got home, put a really thin layer of ointment on and went to bed. Next morning I applied the Saniderm. It was not hard for me to apply, but it was harder for me to cut a piece from the roll (I was wishing at that point I would have just purchased the pre-cut pieces). I kept it on for 4 days. I had hardly any fluid seepage I think because I waited 12 hours before applying it. After 4 days I removed it, slowly, in the shower while using soap and water. It was a tad tender while removing it from the tattoo. But my tattoo looked great!

It started peeling the next day, but it was barely any peeling (i usually peel really bad). I was impressed!

Overall, the process was so low-maintenance and easy that I was really happy! It seemed counter-intuitive to throw a bandage on and ignore the tattoo for 4 days, but this is the best heal I've had so far, and the easiest by leaps and bounds! I'm definitely glad I gave it a try and will continue to use it for future tattoos.

Nobody has to be here in this thread, it wasn't meant to spring discussion about whether or not you like something that you've never even used
Personally, I'm interested in what people trained in medicine think about healing human skin, but maybe that's just me. I know it's impossible for me to really judge something I have never used, but I didn't know it was against the rules for me to post about not using something.

This is a thought I'm having after reading the above discussion:

The problem I see with a great deal of these "after-care" products is the push and branding of them as opposed to the actual usage. I'd venture to say that some folks (not referring to LST members) often spend more time thinking on which after-care lotion to use than they do in regards to picking their tattooer. And for me, there lies some of the resentment. A great margin of these products are made by non-tattooers. Myself personally, I'd rather spend the cash I have getting the most amazing tattoo I could and going out again and getting another, healing it simply with what has worked for decades, than give a thought to these products that will make exponentially more money from selling their wares and not giving back to the tattoo community.

Definitely don't change anything if your methods work well already, this is just for folks who may need a little extra help, or maybe need a little extra protection for comfortability...

My main focus is always on my tattooer. I spend thousands on tattoos, I make sure they're good ones (now, haha) and because of that reason I look towards making sure they heal properly. Tegaderm has worked really well for me, just wanted other people's thoughts on how they use it and their experience. for some reason this thread has elicited a negative response just talking about it. Wasn't the intention. Feel free to post anything you want here guys, I'm unsubbing from my own thread, haha.

Happy healing everyone, no matter how you do it !

Definitely don't change anything if your methods work well already, this is just for folks who may need a little extra help, or maybe need a little extra protection for comfortability...

My main focus is always on my tattooer. I spend thousands on tattoos, I make sure they're good ones (now, haha) and because of that reason I look towards making sure they heal properly. Tegaderm has worked really well for me, just wanted other people's thoughts on how they use it and their experience. for some reason this thread has elicited a negative response just talking about it. Wasn't the intention. Feel free to post anything you want here guys, I'm unsubbing from my own thread, haha.

Happy healing everyone, no matter how you do it !

Uh... I'm sorry, I don't mean to make you abandon your own thread. If it matters I'll probably try this product some time in the future, but before I try something I like to do my research and gather both positive and negative opinions about it. So while it might not seem like it, I'm glad this thread exists and I don't want to be a jerk and scare anybody away.

Has anyone used this on a ditch or behind the knee or some such area yet? I'm not asking to be argumentative I'm genuinely interested.

I've used it right up to my knee ditch, worked great. Just gotta bend your limb to its natural resting position before applying and should be all good

Has anyone used this on a ditch or behind the knee or some such area yet? I'm not asking to be argumentative I'm genuinely interested.

I used it around my elbow/forearm area. Most of the actual ditch area was previously healed from an earlier appointment but did have some spots touched up that healed great under the tegaderm. Also stayed in place very well and barely restricted movement in my arm. Do you have an apprentice or shop helper that you can experiment on? :)

Uh... I'm sorry, I don't mean to make you abandon your own thread. If it matters I'll probably try this product some time in the future, but before I try something I like to do my research and gather both positive and negative opinions about it. So while it might not seem like it, I'm glad this thread exists and I don't want to be a jerk and scare anybody away.

It's not you man, just overall get a big downer vibe from guys when I mention it. Even at other tattoo shops. Everybody tends to act like it's some gimmick, when in reality it's a super common method for healing all sorts of injuries.

Hopefully someone else who is looking for info will find this thread anyhow, it's got good info on timing, application, etc.

Later fellas

I believe Tegaderm has been around a long time and is used in the medical and hospital industry. Saniderm and Tatuderm are relatively new and marketed directly towards the tattoo industry, but is basically the same thing as Tegaderm but a different brand.

Just finished my 2nd time using Tegaderm. Worked great just like the 1st time. 3 hours after tattoo finished, wash, dry, apply Tegaderm, leave it there for 4-5 days, remove. No scabbing at all, very little peeling. For me, it's not just the good healing, it's not having to do anything but wait.

I bought 4"x4" sheets at a medical supply store. $30 for a pack of 50.

I believe tegaderm, saniderm, tatuderm, all fall into the category of "transparent film dressings." Here is an article by a registered nurse worth reading. It doesn't mention any brand names.

http://woundeducators.com/transparent-film-dressings/

I found the cost to be negligible. A $16 roll of it will likely last through my entire leg. I'm okay with that cost and it certainly isn't driving me to a cheaper artist because of the expense. I like it for the convenience mainly, and while I've never had scabbing issues with any aftercare, I had significantly less peeling when I used the Saniderm for this last tattoo. And not having my pants or bed sheets gunked up with A&D ointment, not having my pajamas stuck to my fresh tattoo when I wake up in the morning, not having to jump in the shower 3 times a day to wash it, and not having to touch it 3+ times a day potentially introducing bacteria was worth the cost.

I think people research the crap outta aftercare because most of us want to make sure we are doing our best to protect our investments and make sure we don't jack up our tattoos.

I completely understand some of the resistance to this on the basis of rebranded existing products.

If someone brought out a more expensive 'tattoo specific' cling film (with no change to the film itself) for instance, it would be laughable.

In related news, I've found myself 20mins from Tegaderm HQ (3M) but it was cheaper to get on the other side of the world.