Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Bigboy67

It felt so rad to finally take the bandage off yesterday morning in the shower. Now I'm just "sunburn peeling". Skipping the super sensitive, sticking to clothing phase, as well as the crunchy scabbing phase has been the big winner for me. I will definitely use it again!

I'm trying Saniderm on my calf, and the biggest issue so far has been getting a smooth application - I have some folds and bubbles but nothing too bad. I could have cut and pieced several smaller pieces together but didn't want to have the cut (and therefore unsanitary) surface touching my tattoo. It was awesome to be able to sleep on my tattoo, though - the pressure felt good. It seems like a waste of money for easy-heal areas, but after the mess my previous leg tattoo made, I'm happy with this choice so far.

I also learned that it's really best to change it if there's any doubt as to whether it's going to leak. I was talking to a customer earlier today when black drool started flowing down my leg...

Figured I'd post an update in case it helps anyone who tends to heal like I do. I have annoyingly dry, fussy skin year-round, and with more traditional aftercare (washing a couple times a day, Aquaphor) I tend to peel on the third day - the whole tattoo falls off more or less at once, and it's pretty painful. The main benefit of having used -derm so far has been to slow down the first peel. It's lighter and the new skin underneath feels significantly less raw than with my previous aftercare.

Not something I'd bother with on a small tattoo, but definitely useful for the big messy ones. Realized I said "calf" rather than "thigh" in the first post there - whoops.

Yeah, I think the biggest benefit for me was definitely the lack of mess. I had such a terrible time healing my last sleeve, especially as it was winter time and parts of it just wouldn't dry up so the moment clothing touched it, it would start to weep and gel to whatever I was wearing.

I wore my term bandage overnight after my appointment, then put a fresh one on for 6 days, and that was perfect. I could wear whatever, and not worry about getting stuck to anything.

I agree that for little tattoos in easy spots there is probably no point, but anything that has to be covered with clothes is definitely worth the cost. Also, if I'm spending that much on a tattoo, what's 20$ for a roll of derm? I've only used it for my thigh, which has a nice close by blood supply for healing, I'm curious how it will work for a calf.

• 3 weeks later...
Tegaderm worked great on my calf tattoos.

_mg_8824_thumb.jpg

The final dead skin peel on some parts of the manta rays took a long time, but that had nothing to do with tegaderm. I think in general the skin in between the calf and ankle tends to shed slower, plus some heavy black areas in the tattoo.

How did I miss these mantas?!? Love them!

Really excited about this thread, and thanks to all who have chimed in.

I've got one of those hot and dirty jobs (and have finally concluded that I just heal poorly), definitely going to ask about this next time I'm at the shop.

And, maybe no more poorly healed travel tattoos for me *crosses fingers*

I'd like to try this fantastic sounding stuff when I get my thigh done, but not sure what exactly it is I need to look for?

I've found this on amazon but am slightly confused by the "non-adherent absorbent pad" mentioned in its description...is this what I want to buy? :confused:

Any clarification would be much appreciated before I go off and waste my money on the wrong product...

I am looking for some input on what you might consider a lot of "liquid" under the tegaderm.

My story: tattooed from about 2:30-5:30 on saturday. washed and air dried sunday and most of monday. monday night after work showered and air dried then applied the tegaderm to the tattoo. this was around 6pm i believe. i have accumulated a pretty decent amount of fluid under the film.

My question is, is there a point where the amount of fluid underneath would be cause for concern. I am not experiencing any pain or anything, but the amount is so much that every part of my tattoo is "wet" by it. It also moves around, like I could essentially make it all on the left or all on the right. I will take pictures when I get home to show you what I mean.

Edit: forgot to include that it begins about 3 inches above my right knee and is roughly the size of a blu ray case. I ended up using one whole 8x12 sheet for it.

@brahby

I had a fair amount of liquid under mine when I applied the second piece (the day after having my thigh tattooed)

The liquid stuff is ok, and will dry up, if it's a lot (such as, making the derm swell up) or if it's leaking it's best to take it off, wash your tattoo, and put a new piece on.

some people are just leakier than others haha. maybe post a photo if you can?

I got at least that much from my thigh tattoo and it healed perfectly, though I applied the first sheet the night after getting tattooed. No scabs at all. (I blasted it under a really hot shower after taking that first sheet off and the second one was a lot less weepy.) You might want to change it before you spend a lot of time standing up or walking - mine sprung a pretty gnarly leak when it was that full.

Thanks to all that responded. I took it off last night and some of the tattoo was already in the "sunburn peel" stage. I wont have another film to apply until tonight but I am not even sure it is worth putting it on this far after getting tattooed. It has been lotioned all day at work today. What do you think, apply another application or just stay with lotioning? The film is obviously a lot less maintenance and easier for me as I have to keep running downstairs to the bathroom to put on the lotion while I am at work.

• 3 weeks later...

I am on tattoo # 5 healing with Tagaderm film. I had heard about it from another gal who's artist used it. After listening to her rave about it and what you DID NOT experience using it I thought I would give it a shot. I will NEVER use anything else!!! Love getting the ink, but the itching drives me insane!! The way I was told to use it...after the initial wrap is removed and cleaned....let it air dry completely, then put the film on. Leave it on for 5-6 days..or when the edges start to lift. I soak it off the rest of the way in the shower and it is DONE!! NO ITCHING....NO SCABBING....NO PEELING!! It does do the secondary white flaking peel like you get healed the typical way, but using Mederma lotion often, even reduces that. It's the NO ITCHING that sold me!! Although I am no where near as advanced as some of you I am 2/3 of the way completing my sleeve, (healing 2 more additions to it right now), and 7 other tats on various parts of my body, I am so sold on Tagaderm film!! Ebay you can get a 10 pack of 6in X 8 in individual sheets for $25 with little to no shipping. Easy to cut smaller if needed...(using sterilized scissors and storing it in original sleeve), so you can save any left overs for bigger pieces. Far cheaper then any medical place here in Vegas!!

- - - Updated - - -

From my experience...different areas weep more than others. I am healing 2 more on my upper arm that are weeping far more then the ones in my lower arm. Upper arm is constantly moving which I think adds to the weep factor. It will stay moist in the tattoo area through out, but my upper arm had a big pocket of fluid this morning. Removed and and cleaned using anti bacterial soap in the shower, and reapplied after air drying again. No weep now, but I am also just sitting at my desk, not using the upper arm much. It comes off totally in 4 more days...2 more healed the Tagaderm way!!

I *really* want to try this so I asked my tattooer. He said he doesn't recommend something that he hasn't done on one of his own tattoos first, so he doesn't want me to do it because he hasn't tried it. So, he's the boss and I'll follow directions until my back is done, but for anything else, I'm definitely going to give it a try based on what everyone is saying. I would LOVE to go for days without sticking to my work clothes and gunking up stuff.

I *really* want to try this so I asked my tattooer. He said he doesn't recommend something that he hasn't done on one of his own tattoos first, so he doesn't want me to do it because he hasn't tried it. So, he's the boss and I'll follow directions until my back is done, but for anything else, I'm definitely going to give it a try based on what everyone is saying. I would LOVE to go for days without sticking to my work clothes and gunking up stuff.

Not surprised...I am sure anyone will get that response from their artist if they have never used it. I am my artist's guinea pig. She had only heard about it, but never seen it done or the stages of healing. With my first one I stopped by everyday, (her shop is 2 minutes away from my house), so she could see the stages first hand. I even bought her a package of it on Ebay to use for herself. Greatest stuff ever!! Back tats would require a second person to help put it on as this stuff can be tricky. Sticks to itself worse than saran wrap and you cannot salvage it once it sticks together!

Edited by Lynn Webster Rose
typo