Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Bigboy67

I completely understand some of the resistance to this on the basis of rebranded existing products.

If someone brought out a more expensive 'tattoo specific' cling film (with no change to the film itself) for instance, it would be laughable.

In related news, I've found myself 20mins from Tegaderm HQ (3M) but it was cheaper to get on the other side of the world.

Sounds like we should start selling Last Sparrow branded cling film at conventions. $29.99 for a 100sqft roll?

$29.99, genius price point. Places us at the premium end of the market, 'you get what you pay for' etc. Can we call it Tat-wrap™?

Tat-wrap would be useless with out some Tat-tape ($9.99) to secure it in place. And after a few days you'll need to apply some Tat-lube ($14.99) to ease the itching. And after its healed you'll want an app on your smart phone to show it off to all your friends so sign up for Tatagram ($1.99 per month membership fee).

Funny you mention Tat-Tape, @hogg knows a guy... We should focus on getting product to market though, people don't know what they aren't missing out on. I feel like we could really see some penetration this quarter. (This was actually said in a meeting I was in once, all I could do...)

And double penetration the following quarter!

So I've had a tegaderm fail, not so much the product but just poor application/procedure. Only waited 4 hours after finishing to clean and cover, then I didn't take care in the layout of the sheets and had to cut and patch some corners to get full coverage. Woke up the next day with a tattoo sized blister effectively (very full of liquid) and over the course of the day one of the joins between my poor patching was compromised and started leaking. I ended up taking it off after just over 24 hours and reverting back to bepanthen.

Moral of the story, take the time after the tattoo is finished to let it get rid of most of the plasma/ink etc. then seal it in with the 'derm. And maybe get some help placing sheets in spots you can't easily use both hands on.

@Orangutango i applied tegaderm to my own right elbow (i'm right handed) and probably used twice as much as i needed because my placement was poor and once the sticky side touches something there is no turning back. also 12-24 hours after is the best time to apply and avoid too much liquid build up. My best results were when i waited ~20 hours to apply.

So I've had a tegaderm fail, not so much the product but just poor application/procedure. Only waited 4 hours after finishing to clean and cover, then I didn't take care in the layout of the sheets and had to cut and patch some corners to get full coverage. Woke up the next day with a tattoo sized blister effectively (very full of liquid) and over the course of the day one of the joins between my poor patching was compromised and started leaking. I ended up taking it off after just over 24 hours and reverting back to bepanthen.

Moral of the story, take the time after the tattoo is finished to let it get rid of most of the plasma/ink etc. then seal it in with the 'derm. And maybe get some help placing sheets in spots you can't easily use both hands on.

yes exacty next time wait at least 12 hours or so. Otherwise a build up of plasma will be too much for the adhesive and will just start peeling of. A little plasma is ok actually.. usually after the next day your tattoo is still "wet" .

Yeah it worked fine when i took the time and did it right on my ribs, just got a bit hasty with it this time. I'll still go with it again, ebay seems to be the best place for those in the states? Most other places i've found online only seem to do bulk orders. Maybe it will become my "bring some of this" product when people visit from home :D

Applied this to my newest piece on Sunday evening but this time I added an extremely thin layer of A&D ointment before apply the tegaderm. This morning (36 hours after application) a jet of water from the shower head found its way under an edge so I had to remove it 1 or 2 days before I would have liked. The tattoo looked mostly ready to peel but a few spots looked like potential trouble so I decided to reapply more tegaderm.

I just want to point out how gross looking the tegaderm process can be. Right now I have a pouch of brown liquid attached to my leg. The color is very similar to the color of the rinse cup at the end of an appointment. This is my 3rd time using this product but this is the first time I've had this much liquid build up. It is a little unsettling to look at. Maybe I'll share a picture of it later.

I just want to point out how gross looking the tegaderm process can be. Right now I have a pouch of brown liquid attached to my leg. The color is very similar to the color of the rinse cup at the end of an appointment. This is my 3rd time using this product but this is the first time I've had this much liquid build up. It is a little unsettling to look at. Maybe I'll share a picture of it later.

I think the general guidelines for using derm is to wait a few hours or more before applying to allow fluids to drain and if fluids do build up, to remove, wash, dry and apply a new derm.

I think the general guidelines for using derm is to wait a few hours or more before applying to allow fluids to drain and if fluids do build up, to remove, wash, dry and apply a new derm.

I'm fully aware of this guideline. This derm is the second application applied 36 hours aftee tattoo was made.

This is my third use of derm and I have been less impressed with each use. I get the same results with plastic wrap.

A little embarrassed to be posting a photo like this but I'm a little concerned about the redness. Doesn't look nearly as bad as any of the "infected tattoos" on google image search but not what I'm used to seeing when healing a tattoo. Photo was taken this morning. Tegaderm was removed last night. Tattoo was made ~5 days ago. Thoughts?

1898665_10100360450830856_1436534059_o.jpg

@BrianH

Could it be a little breakout of pimples in there?

I think having a touch of redness and inflammation is not so unusual, particularly on the lower leg. My latest had a little redness around it for a couple of days, like you might get with any damage to skin that's healing.

I felt like Chad's piece on my leg was also more traumatic or heavy than some other tattoos I've healed, but maybe that's subjective.

Either way, I wouldn't worry yet.

@BrianH

Could it be a little breakout of pimples in there?

I think having a touch of redness and inflammation is not so unusual, particularly on the lower leg. My latest had a little redness around it for a couple of days, like you might get with any damage to skin that's healing.

I felt like Chad's piece on my leg was also more traumatic or heavy than some other tattoos I've healed, but maybe that's subjective.

Either way, I wouldn't worry yet.

Thanks for the support. I'm just super bummed because I had this idea in my head that I would be able to return to the gym today or tomorrow, but looks like I'm better off waiting a few more days. I'll save my worrying for when the maggots show up.

Applied this to my newest piece on Sunday evening but this time I added an extremely thin layer of A&D ointment before apply the tegaderm. This morning (36 hours after application) a jet of water from the shower head found its way under an edge so I had to remove it 1 or 2 days before I would have liked. The tattoo looked mostly ready to peel but a few spots looked like potential trouble so I decided to reapply more tegaderm.

Sorry to hear about that but why did you put a&d ointment before applying the tegaderm? If you think about it that can't be good !

My first experience using a&D it made me break out slightly so ever since I've been using aquaphor. Either way trapping ointment under the tegaderm can't be good bro. Did you do that on the other tattoo?

Sorry to hear about that but why did you put a&d ointment before applying the tegaderm? If you think about it that can't be good !

My first experience using a&D it made me break out slightly so ever since I've been using aquaphor. Either way trapping ointment under the tegaderm can't be good bro. Did you do that on the other tattoo?

Read it on the saniderm website.

"Remove the bandage, clean and dry the area and apply a second piece of Saniderm, if the tattoo is not bleeding or weeping a small amount of unscented lotion or ointment may be used on the tattoo to prevent adhesion. The 2nd piece can be worn for up to 6 days. Apply a third piece if needed."

Thanks for the support. I'm just super bummed because I had this idea in my head that I would be able to return to the gym today or tomorrow' date=' but looks like I'm better off waiting a few more days. I'll save my worrying for when the maggots show up.[/quote']

Ignore it as best you can, and just leave it the fuck alone. That's what I do w my stuff! My knee peony has been healing very slowly and weirdly, but because I've just let it be it hasn't gotten worse. I've had that angry red before, and it always seemed to be when I was fussing with it or otherwise worrying.

As you said - wait til the maggots show up. ;)

@Pugilist @Graeme @beez thanks for sharing your experiences! the good news for me is there's no pain and the photo makes the scabbiness look a lot worse than it actual is. Certainly thicker than normal peeling but not as thick as the dreaded bubbled up scabs. Not an ideal healing situation but it ended my streak of easy heals so i'm bummed.