Bigboy67

Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, michi0709 said:

Before getting my second tattoo, I searched all over the internet about healing with saniderm.  My first tattoo was traditional healing, which was a pain.  This is my healing experience (with pics) of the second tattoo  I healed using saniderm (cover up of tattoo #1).

Tattoo artist placed the saniderm within minutes of finishing up the tattoo.  It's on my lower back, so I wore yoga pants.  Day 2 and 3 I wore dresses.  By day 4 I was wearing jeans.

Kept the original saniderm on for 5 days.  No changing after one day.  It was August in Texas, which means hot and sweaty.  No issues having the saniderm stick. 

Removed in the shower by myself (a little tricky) on day 5.  Washed with non-scented /sensitive soap.  Dried with paper towel.  Applied hustle butter after removing Saniderm (small amount twice a day).

Very minimal itching and pealing.

This collage shows what it looks like on Day 1, 4 , 5 (immediately after removing) 6 (morning after removal), and 8 (showing a little of the pealing). 

 

This is what it looks like  healed, about three months after it was done.

I love Saniderm and wouldn't go back to traditional healing.  It's just so convenient. Hope this helps someone else!

yep ! that's why I love that stuff !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone is applying a small amount of ointment on the tattoo before putting saniderm on for the 2nd application (12-24 hours after tattoo session)? This will be my first time using saniderm for a tatoo and I was going to come home and take off the bandage the shop puts on after their recommended time, clean the tattoo, apply a very small amount of tattoo gloo salve and then apply the saniderm for 5 days. 

Edited by mad6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mad6 said:

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone isapplying a small amount of ointment on the tattoo before putting saniderm on for the 2nd application (12-24 hours after tattoo session)? This will be my first time using saniderm for a tatoo and I was going to come home and take off the bandage the shop puts on after their recommended time, clean the tattoo, apply a very small amount of tattoo gloo slave and then apply the saniderm for 5 days. 

Do whatever your artist tells you to do.

Saniderm instructions say to clean, dry the area, and apply second bandage.  I would imagine that applying anything would not allow it to stick properly. https://saniderm.com/how-to-use/

I never change out my bandage.  Just wear it for 5 days straight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mad6 said:

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone isapplying a small amount of ointment on the tattoo before putting saniderm on for the 2nd application (12-24 hours after tattoo session)? This will be my first time using saniderm for a tatoo and I was going to come home and take off the bandage the shop puts on after their recommended time, clean the tattoo, apply a very small amount of tattoo gloo slave and then apply the saniderm for 5 days. 

don't do that,it will NOT stick to your skin,

like was said,your skin needs to be clean and dry ,

and shaved on the entire area that the saniderm will be on.

what I do is keep cocoa butter and saran on the tattoo for the first 24 hours(washing every few hours with anti-microbial soap,and pat dry with clean paper towels)

then after 24 hours I apply the saniderm to clean dry shaved skin and leave it on for 5 or 6 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a lot of fluid under my second bandage which I only applied 9 hours ago. Am I still supposed to leave it on for the 5 days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just me, but I wouldn’t. You need to clean the wound regularly. You don’t want it swimming in all the gunk.

I have used saniderm in the past with very mixed results. Mostly negative results actually.
I prefer to let it heal the old fashioned way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Bailie said:

There is a lot of fluid under my second bandage which I only applied 9 hours ago. Am I still supposed to leave it on for the 5 days?

Yep, it will dry out. Just keep it sealed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been healing with D-Lize pro (same as saniderm) and have great results. I change the wrap if there is any fluid buildup up to 45 hours but not after that. This works well for me. Sometimes I change the saniderm 3 times before 45 hours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2019 at 3:38 PM, Bailie said:

There is a lot of fluid under my second bandage which I only applied 9 hours ago. Am I still supposed to leave it on for the 5 days?

I have. It won't continue to produce new fluid and what you've got will dry hard and then dissolve when you take that 1st shower. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've asked about this in the intro thread and the consensus there is blowout.  I thought maybe experienced saniderm users might have some extra insight.  

I always heal with saniderm but haven't seen this before. I am prone to dry skin so I've hoped this could be staining from the ink and plasma under the derm the first 36 hours.  I took this pic when I had to wash and change it after a little dirty garden work. Tats on my ankle/calf, done Friday. 

Anyone ever have staining from marinating in ink juice under derm, or shall I resign myself that this is extensive blowout? 

20190707_154034.jpg

20190707_140459.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, oboogie said:

That isn't staining. That is pure blowout. Nothing you can do about it now.

Awful news.  I was afraid of that but had hopes.  It's a simple memorial piece for a much missed friend Ilost last week and it ending up like this just sucks. Good artist at a shop my daughter goes to regularly. 

Thanks for the reply.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys so I'm thinking about finishing my sleeve on the 20th of this month and that involves getting my elbow done.. I have half of my elbow done and the 1st time it got infected I always use saniderm and my artist is really clean... my real problem is I work outside and do heavy lifting should i just wait till the winter or leave it alone 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Johnblaze26 said:

Hey guys so I'm thinking about finishing my sleeve on the 20th of this month and that involves getting my elbow done.. I have half of my elbow done and the 1st time it got infected I always use saniderm and my artist is really clean... my real problem is I work outside and do heavy lifting should i just wait till the winter or leave it alone 

if you can't take a week off now,then IMO yes,wait

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

Tried to find an answer in here but couldn’t find it. I have the bottom 1/2 of my 3/4 sleeve that was done Sunday. Artist put sani on immediately after. I replace after a thorough anti bacterial wash last night. Well I’m in Florida and it’s hot as heck out. I have the whole arm protected by a UV sleeve and naturally the sweat caused some of the edges to roll, but the new work is still sealed. My issue is, the inside crease of my elbow has come up from the sweat and isn’t sticking. If it’s still sealed around it, is it fine? Or should I remove?  I only have a small bit of sani left, not enough to recover the whole piece. I’ll also be in FL until Thursday so will continue to keep it covered with either a UV sleeve or long sleeves. Any input is much appreciated!

 

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tommyoc01 said:

Hi all,

Tried to find an answer in here but couldn’t find it. I have the bottom 1/2 of my 3/4 sleeve that was done Sunday. Artist put sani on immediately after. I replace after a thorough anti bacterial wash last night. Well I’m in Florida and it’s hot as heck out. I have the whole arm protected by a UV sleeve and naturally the sweat caused some of the edges to roll, but the new work is still sealed. My issue is, the inside crease of my elbow has come up from the sweat and isn’t sticking. If it’s still sealed around it, is it fine? Or should I remove?  I only have a small bit of sani left, not enough to recover the whole piece. I’ll also be in FL until Thursday so will continue to keep it covered with either a UV sleeve or long sleeves. Any input is much appreciated!

 

 

Thanks!

I am in Texas, so I feel your pain.  I had that issue with my last tattoo (5 weeks ago) and my artist said as long as the tattoo was still sealed, it was ok.  He had me disinfect the area and apply another piece of saniderm to keep the edges down.  Maybe wrap a piece around the area that keeps lifting.  That brought me two more days, which is all I needed to make it to the 7 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, trina4590 said:

Got a new tattoo today and there are bubbles where it isnt adhering to my skin. Is that fine or should I try to do something about it? 

no just leave it alone if all the edges are down good,take it off in 3 or 4 days and wash it and put some aveeno on it.

or if you have enough saniderm left,take it off,wash it with a anti-microbial wash and pat dry it really good with a clean paper towel,and re-apply a new sheet of derm ,start with one edge and run your finger back and forth while putting down the derm trying to not get bubbles.

Edited by Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m on day 3 of Tegaderm and noticed a small cluster of white zit like things near but not on the tattoo. My artist said to leave it on 4 days but should I just take it off now that I’m having a reaction? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It won't hurt to take it off - it just reduces the benefit a little bit. Just be extra careful about keeping it clean and dry like you would a fresh tattoo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got my first tattoo two days ago and have this dark liquid that has dried and started cracking under the Saniderm. Should I assume this is fine and keep it on for the 4-5 days like my tattoo artist said? I'm not too worried about it but I have a parent who is panicking about it and wanted others opinions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@LemonDrop

if it was me,I would take off the film,wash it good,dry it good,and put on another piece for 3 or 4 more days,

or  take it off,wash it a few times a day and keep some cocoa butter or A&D on it for a couple days then go to Aveeno.

either way no big deal.

Edited by Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.