Bigboy67

Tegaderm/Saniderm/Tatuderm healing process

Posted (edited)

Hey everyone!

No matter what I do I can never seem to get my tegaderm on completely smooth. Even when it LOOKS smooth when I first apply it it quickly develops little bubbles all over as well as lots of (what looks like) fluid filled wrinkles. I always get anxious about this as I know this needs to stay on for 5 days and I want my tattoos to heal well. I've tried popping and patching the less than perfect areas but it seems like no matter how many bubbles I pop more show up as I move my arm (I should also mention that I draw for a living so a bit of arm movement is kind of inevitable for me.)

Are small bubbles and wrinkles normal? Or should I just keep reapplying until it's perfectly smooth all over? I don't want to keep poking at the area with a needle for fear that I'll slip and stab my new tattoo and I also would rather not have to remove the derm I currently have on as removing it's pretty painful. I was hoping I could hear from other people who have used tegaderm/saniderm to heal larger tattoos on their experiences on this matter.

Edited by DDar

The bubbles are perfectly fine and normal. You are capturing normal body fluids and keeping foreign material from getting into where those fluids are emanating from . . . except when you pop bubbles WHICH YOU SHOULD NOT DO!

Hey everyone,

New to the site and new to Saniderm as well. First time using the saniderm bandage so I had a general question about heal time if anyone would be kind enough to provide some insight on the matter. I got a tattoo about two and a half weeks ago on August 22, and my artist put on the bandage immediately after, instructing me to take it off 3-5 days later which I did on day 4, August 26. Since then I've just been using aveeno to keep the tattoo hydrated. However, the healing process has been different from my usual A&D -> Aveeno process, the shedding process has been very minimal thus far (I hope) and there are still a lot of darker, raised pieces that have yet to flake off (again, I hope.)

I say I hope because after finishing I remember the lines being very crisp and straight yet these darker raised parts are mostly on the corners and protrude out, in a point, beyond the straight line underneath. I'm hoping and confident this isn't a case of ink spreading under the skin because normally a blowout from what I've seen will be consistent all over, far spreading, and not nearly as dark/bold. So my question is two fold:

1. Does ink dry on top of the skin underneath the bandage those first few days?

2. How long do you think until the darker raised bits flake off for good.

I've attached some pics

Thanks!

IMG_2049.JPG

IMG_5402.JPG

IMG_5403.jpg

Edited by BigE9690
Accidental publish, needed to add more

it all sounds normal to me,it's not healed yet,let it heal for 6 or more weeks,

remember the tattoo will NEVER again look like it did the day you had it done

and using aveeno is what I do,the steps you described is also just about what I do too.

so relax and don't scratch the flaky stuff off,let it fall off and keep using aveeno a couple time s a day.