Hong Kong bound

JasonM

Hello all,

I'd like to introduce myself and ask a few questions. I've been a long time admirer of tattoos and spent a long time concepting what I would eventually get. Now in my thirties I got a smaller piece on my forearm to introduce me to the process. I've been on a waiting list for about two years and will be traveling from the US to Hong Kong in a few months for a back piece. I'm scheduled for 3-4 sessions within one week. Length of the session will be dependent on my comfort but I have numerous questions about this type of process.

I've read through all the suggested prepping like, get plenty of sleep, large meal, sugary drinks/snacks throughout, etc. But I'm wondering what else I should consider? I understand long sessions will cause the skin to swell and might not take the ink as well. Anything I can do to counter act? I read somewhere someone took antibiotics before a back to back two day session to help with shock and immune being low. But I also read antibiotics can cause the tattoo to heal differently.

As far as traveling, anyone have suggestions? I think I'm more worried about the flight ( I hate long flights). Also the 15 hour ride home with a fresh back piece is going to be hell. My plan is to stay hydrated and sleep as much as possible. Anything else?

The tattoo artist is a veteran to this type of process and confident on the schedule and nothing out of the ordinary needed for my preparation aside from a typical tattoo. I feel like I should be doing something a little different for this. Especially that second day. What should I expect? I have a feeling the second day will be the worst? Any thing I can/should take?

Overall, I'm not stressing too much about the length of the tattoo as I've waited years for this and found the perfect artist. I can't wait to see it finished. I'm sure my feelings will change an hour in though, so anyone with suggestions above the breathe and engage in distractions would be welcomed.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Don't take antibiotics unless your doc tells you that you need them as they can fuck with your immune system, plus I don't know about anyone else but they give me the shits bad and that's the last thing you need whilst getting tattooed. Anti inflaminatories work tho . Ibuprofen or dicllofenac are good. Your in for a fun , brutal time. Don't stress too much.

Painkillers may seem like a good idea but not if they will thin the blood so check out contra-indications of the substance you ingest. I hear women have a better pain tolerance... maybe get on some hormones ;)

Joke's aside I found out about a product by Horikitsune supposed to be very effective and I planned on investing in as I had a similar schedule as yours (which I now cancelled).

Numdaskin - Instagram photo by @horikitsune (horikitsune) | Statigram

Costs about $185 and a tub should cover a backpiece depending on your frame.

Let us know how you go, a lot of people i'm sure would like to know your experience and see the progress/healing.

Thanks for the quick replies. I read the numbing creams can make it feel worse for long sessions. As it wears off the pain feels worse. Also that the ink reacts differently. But again, I've read a lot of conflicting things.

Anyone who's been through back to back sessions, I'd be interested to hear how day 2 and 3 are. I think I have as good as an understanding of how day 1 will be, but I'm assuming your skin is swollen and sensitive the next day?

Thanks for the quick replies. I read the numbing creams can make it feel worse for long sessions. As it wears off the pain feels worse. Also that the ink reacts differently. But again, I've read a lot of conflicting things.

Yes please do your research as I have no experience with these however since this is formulated by someone well known in the circles I'd take it as being worthy, write him for the details.

Good luck!

This sounds really great and I'm actually excited for you. Good luck! I have plans to do something similar when I can afford it.

Thanks. I'm extremely excited. I wanted it to not just be about the tattoo but the whole experience. The best advice I got was find the artist who's work is exactly what you want then figure out how to get to them. I wrote this whole idea off years ago but it ate away at me. So I booked about two years ago and made it happen. It 's insane I'm less then 3 months from take off!

So cool. I'd been mulling over when/where/what to get for my first tattoo for years without much direction and just jumped headfirst into it a few weeks ago (like, choosing design & location relatively quickly) after a lot of indecision. It felt like a good way to get started, but I think a lot more actual planning will go into the second one.

The artist is Joey Pang at tattootemple.hk. I'm glad I made up my mind when I did because now she's not excepting new appointments. I'll have to post this in a new thread, but that's a tangent I could go off on. There's another artist I was hoping to work with, but in the time I found him until now he's no longer take new appointments. I'll be pretty drained after Hong Kong (both energy and pocket book) so hopefully when I'm ready again, I'll be able to get in.

- - - Updated - - -

I am also curious who the artist is. I also recommend using saniderm/tatuderm if u are going to be stuck on a long flight since u won't be able to wash your tattoo during the long flight.

Thanks for introducing saniderm/tatuderm. Never heard of those but looks like you're right . . . would be a necessity for the plane ride. Now if I could only get upgraded to business class so I could lay on my stomach I'd be in good shape!

From first hand experience Tegaderm is probably your best bet if you are flying since you cannot clean the tattoo.. I agree!!

The only thing is if you use tegaderm I would highly recommend that you ...

After getting the tattoo go back to your hotel room and clean your tattoo then rewrap it until then next morning or at least 5 hours or so.. Clean again...then put on the tegaderm.

The reason is if you put it on directly after you get tattooed a shit load of plasma and fluids will collect inside the tegaderm and it will leak out.

I had this happen on a flight from cali .. no fun!!

From first hand experience Tegaderm is probably your best bet if you are flying since you cannot clean the tattoo.. I agree!!

The only thing is if you use tegaderm I would highly recommend that you ...

After getting the tattoo go back to your hotel room and clean your tattoo then rewrap it until then next morning or at least 5 hours or so.. Clean again...then put on the tegaderm.

The reason is if you put it on directly after you get tattooed a shit load of plasma and fluids will collect inside the tegaderm and it will leak out.

I had this happen on a flight from cali .. no fun!!

yeah this is the exact reason why i dont use saniderm until after i get home from a session. so basically i let the artist wrap me up in saran wrap first, wait for about 6 hours (if you have the time), then wash and dry and then apply the saniderm. ive learned that the hard way as i had so much fluid pooling it created some pretty gnarly water blisters, though luckily the blisters werent on fresh ink.

yeah this is the exact reason why i dont use saniderm until after i get home from a session. so basically i let the artist wrap me up in saran wrap first, wait for about 6 hours (if you have the time), then wash and dry and then apply the saniderm. ive learned that the hard way as i had so much fluid pooling it created some pretty gnarly water blisters, though luckily the blisters werent on fresh ink.

Exactly my experience!! Minus the blister. Tatuderm is the same stuff it's just slightly more expensive because of the name...

My last session will be on Thursday and then I fly out Friday at 11:10am. So I should be good to follow your suggestion.

Should I use the tatuderm during the week too? Or should I save it just for the plane ride? I definitely would like to take advantage of being in Hong Kong so I'd like to check out the sites.

Should I use it while I sleep? I read about people getting back pieces waking up and going straight in the shower with their shirt on to get it off. Also, if I did use it the night before, does it make the skin swell more for the next day session? I'm assuming with it locking in more moisture and all the trauma could cause third-spacing and making it tough to tattoo?

My last session will be on Thursday and then I fly out Friday at 11:10am. So I should be good to follow your suggestion.

Should I use the tatuderm during the week too? Or should I save it just for the plane ride? I definitely would like to take advantage of being in Hong Kong so I'd like to check out the sites.

Should I use it while I sleep? I read about people getting back pieces waking up and going straight in the shower with their shirt on to get it off. Also, if I did use it the night before, does it make the skin swell more for the next day session? I'm assuming with it locking in more moisture and all the trauma could cause third-spacing and making it tough to tattoo?

No once you put it on keep it on for three days! You will see how comfortable it is! After the third day take it off and follow your normal

Aftercare routine. You can get it wet no problem!

- - - Updated - - -

No once you put it on keep it on for three days! You will see how comfortable it is! After the third day take it off and follow your normal

Btw get tagaderm its exactly the same product but cheaper! eBay is the cheapest way to buy it!

Right now it looks like I'll have my first session on Monday, second on Tuesday, Wednesday might be a break and then the last session on Thursday. So sounds like I should put it on Friday morning before I leave for the airport?

Right now it looks like I'll have my first session on Monday, second on Tuesday, Wednesday might be a break and then the last session on Thursday. So sounds like I should put it on Friday morning before I leave for the airport?

Wow !! Not sure?? I put it on the day after but because you're having multiple session .. Not sure??? When you put it on taking it off really sucks if it's taking off too early..

- - - Updated - - -

I think if you put it on the morning of your flight you will be fine!! Maybe if he finishes one section a day then put it on piece by piece??

- - - Updated - - -

Wow !! Not sure?? I put it on the day after but because you're having multiple session .. Not sure??? When you put it on taking it off really sucks if it's taking off too early..

- - - Updated - - -

I think if you put it on the morning of your flight you will be fine!! Maybe if he finishes one section a day then put it on piece by piece??[/quote

Actually I'm not sure this is the best product for you since you're having multiple sittings.. By day three you will start peeling and the tagaderm may damage your tattoo? Since I'm not an expert I would take the advice of your artist!! Not me!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry one more thing... Three sessions in a week is a bit crazy!! Since this its your first tattoo and all.. It may sound like a good idea now but... I'm not a tattooer but in my experience when I had two sessions in a week I felt like crap afterwards!! That's why personally I wouldn't get tattooed like that overseas!! Unless you had like a couple of months . Also something to think about is what happens if you need touch ups?? Good luck and I wish you the best but realistically I wouldn't do more than two sittings!! It's not more about the pain it's more how you will feel after being hammered for three days plus you have to fly that week too!!

I had back to back sessions. I put it on my gogue session but shige made me take it off on his session since the pieces were right next to each other. If I were u, I'd just wait til all your sessions are done. Unless she is doing 3 separate areas. Then it won't matter since she won't be tattooing the area that already has the saniderm on it. U might want to ask her her plan early so u can adjust accordingly.

Sorry one more thing... Three sessions in a week is a bit crazy!! Since this its your first tattoo and all.. It may sound like a good idea now but... I'm not a tattooer but in my experience when I had two sessions in a week I felt like crap afterwards!! That's why personally I wouldn't get tattooed like that overseas!! Unless you had like a couple of months . Also something to think about is what happens if you need touch ups?? Good luck and I wish you the best but realistically I wouldn't do more than two sittings!! It's not more about the pain it's more how you will feel after being hammered for three days plus you have to fly that week too!!

I have one other tattoo on my forearm, but smaller. I understand the forearm is one of the easiest spots but I could have laid there for hours. But I'm not naive and realize 1) The back is more painful, 2) After a certain amount of time the body reacts in ways you wouldn't expect and just says enough, 3) Back to back is going to be even more sensitive and painful, and 4) I realize I'm going to feel like I got hit with the bad flu after my body goes into shock for that week. That's why I asked about the antibiotics to helps counter act that.

So . . . am I prepared for this . . . absolutely not, but this is kind of a part of this personal journey. Probably stupid and will do nothing but I've been laying on a bed of nails to build up tolerance to long periods of discomfort. I've been hitting the gym and eating well to get my overall health and immune as good as possible for the trip. Got all my vaccines up to date. Been doing tons of research and I've had ongoing dialogue with the artist and she's pretty confident on the process for the week.

Also the design/style will be very spread out, so there's no real concern about going into the same area.

But with all that said, I know I'm going to be in for a rough experience. Above it all I HATE long flights!! The longest flight I've been on was about 10 hours. This will be another 5 hours plus the way back with a fresh tattoo is going to be hell!

I probably should have joined the forum sooner, but I figured I get the remaining questions out there in these next couple months.

I have one other tattoo on my forearm, but smaller. I understand the forearm is one of the easiest spots but I could have laid there for hours. But I'm not naive and realize 1) The back is more painful, 2) After a certain amount of time the body reacts in ways you wouldn't expect and just says enough, 3) Back to back is going to be even more sensitive and painful, and 4) I realize I'm going to feel like I got hit with the bad flu after my body goes into shock for that week. That's why I asked about the antibiotics to helps counter act that.

So . . . am I prepared for this . . . absolutely not, but this is kind of a part of this personal journey. Probably stupid and will do nothing but I've been laying on a bed of nails to build up tolerance to long periods of discomfort. I've been hitting the gym and eating well to get my overall health and immune as good as possible for the trip. Got all my vaccines up to date. Been doing tons of research and I've had ongoing dialogue with the artist and she's pretty confident on the process for the week.

Also the design/style will be very spread out, so there's no real concern about going into the same area.

But with all that said, I know I'm going to be in for a rough experience. Above it all I HATE long flights!! The longest flight I've been on was about 10 hours. This will be another 5 hours plus the way back with a fresh tattoo is going to be hell!

I probably should have joined the forum sooner, but I figured I get the remaining questions out there in these next couple months.

Haha!! Yeah I definitely give you props!! I have a friend who just finished a two day session (in a week) back piece... No joke!! Well I guess you can feel it out! I'm sure you will be dying in your hotel room and not doing much site seeing!! It will definitely be a gnarly experience!! I wish you all the luck and can't wait to see

- - - Updated - - -

Haha!! Yeah I definitely give you props!! I have a friend who just finished a two day session (in a week) back piece... No joke!! Well I guess you can feel it out! I'm sure you will be dying in your hotel room and not doing much site seeing!! It will definitely be a gnarly experience!! I wish you all the luck and can't wait to see

Antibiotics .. I think more like some good rest!! I doubt it will help any.. You will not feel like eating but that is your best bet!! Eat ! Haha

Antibiotics .. I think more like some good rest!! I doubt it will help any.. You will not feel like eating but that is your best bet!! Eat ! Haha

I was going to cheap on the hotel but decided on the Intercontinental Hong Kong. They've got what appears to be an amazing brunch buffet. My plan is to destroy it every morning before the session. But we'll see. I'm definitely going to stay away from the street food. It's ashamed, I've always wanted to go to Asia, but you're right, I probably won't be seeing much, but I'll certainly be taking away a bad ass souvenir!