Hong Kong bound

JasonM

I was going to cheap on the hotel but decided on the Intercontinental Hong Kong. They've got what appears to be an amazing brunch buffet. My plan is to destroy it every morning before the session. But we'll see. I'm definitely going to stay away from the street food. It's ashamed, I've always wanted to go to Asia, but you're right, I probably won't be seeing much, but I'll certainly be taking away a bad ass souvenir!

Yeah I bet!! Btw have you ever thought of getting work in NYC or Cali? Maybe I would do a half sleeve in that amount of time but.. When I got my ribs done I felt like crap ! Then again I'm a wuss!! Haha!! Seriously why a backpeice? Does this artist very come to the us? Anyways thanks for chatting with me ! I'm not trying to be a know it all just looking out!!

I was going to cheap on the hotel but decided on the Intercontinental Hong Kong. They've got what appears to be an amazing brunch buffet. My plan is to destroy it every morning before the session. But we'll see. I'm definitely going to stay away from the street food. It's ashamed, I've always wanted to go to Asia, but you're right, I probably won't be seeing much, but I'll certainly be taking away a bad ass souvenir!

Eat enough, but be VERY careful with cramming too much food or the wrong kind of food into your stomach before a tattoo session. HK is very humid, tropical, plus you'll be jetlagged, I assume, plus excited for the tattoo, plus experiencing a lot of pain while getting it done. Your stomach needs to have a super easy job.

Yeah I bet!! Btw have you ever thought of getting work in NYC or Cali? Maybe I would do a half sleeve in that amount of time but.. When I got my ribs done I felt like crap ! Then again I'm a wuss!! Haha!! Seriously why a backpeice? Does this artist very come to the us? Anyways thanks for chatting with me ! I'm not trying to be a know it all just looking out!!

Many reasons for the back piece. It's been a long time in the making and in the last few years it all came together.

I'm in the midwest and I wanted to connect with David Allen in the future, but he's not taking appointments. I'll be traveling to San Fran often so I'm going to check out some artist there, but really just need to get through what's on the horizon.

Thanks for the feedback . . . and I don't think rib tattoo and wuss belong in the same sentence !

You have received a lot of great advice already. Keep in mind, I don't have a backpiece (yet) but I think your best bet is to talk over aftercare methods, with respect to your situation (multiple sessions and heavy travelling), with your artist. I would definitely e-mail them before leaving so you have all of the supplies you will need. Since it's only your second tattoo and a back piece (wow! go you!) I would suggest keeping the products to a minimum and focus on your health and well-being, plenty of rest, water, good food, etc. Maybe sleep without a shirt/wrapping on? I don't want to suggest too much because a) every one's body is different and b) again, I haven't gotten a back piece and c) not a tattoo artist.

You have received a lot of great advice already. Keep in mind, I don't have a backpiece (yet) but I think your best bet is to talk over aftercare methods, with respect to your situation (multiple sessions and heavy travelling), with your artist.

I've had a lot of dialogue over the past year with the artist, but I know there's a wealth of knowledge here that could help me prepare further. Like:

Advil PM to help sleep (in the hotel, on the plane!) Boris says to take vitamin C before sessions to reduce bleeding/ink loss, and I say keep your immune system optimal (antibiotics DESTROY your immune system.)

Vitamin C was a great suggestion. I've been taking some now with other vitamins to keep me healthy through the winter months, but I never thought to put more emphasis on Vitamin C during the trip. I was thinking about Ambien for sleeping, but the Advil PM might be better to help with pain and swelling?

Eat enough, but be VERY careful with cramming too much food or the wrong kind of food into your stomach before a tattoo session. HK is very humid, tropical, plus you'll be jetlagged, I assume, plus excited for the tattoo, plus experiencing a lot of pain while getting it done. Your stomach needs to have a super easy job.

Good advice. I was of the mind set to get a big meal before hand, but you're right, my stomach will probably be on a roller coaster from everything you mentioned so I should be a little smarter about what I cram in.

• 2 months later...

Back from Hong Kong and everything went really well. The design and placement was a little different then I was expecting but overall really happy about everything. 16 total hours over 3 days. The last day was a little uncomfortable but overall the pain was very tolerable. All I ended up taking was Motrin to help with swelling. Not sure if it did or didn't help. Had a good breakfast every morning and unfortunately really didn't get a chance to experience much of Hong Kong. After each session was just ready to get back to the hotel. Attached are some pics. The detail of the brush stokes will be more visible once it's healed.

1779765_10152316910625625_1346692867_n.jpg

1890998_10152316910820625_2135498779_n.jpg

1620512_10152316910935625_1211180482_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Super thanks for sharing your experience.

So the 15h hours flight went pretty well with such a big piece?

How did the sweling go?

I will be getting a palm sized piece on my arm and two days later need to fly 12h for work.

Was a little scared it could mess up with the healing.

I know everyone reacts differently, but how did it go for you on subsequent days?

Thanks for the sharing!

GREAT PIECE!

@JasonMH

Something a bit different, I like it.

For me the panoramic quality of the way it wraps around your chest, arm and back works quite well.

Three days tattooing like that is no joke when you've travelled a long distance, well done.

@nnavarro

Flying after getting tattooed, even with large work, is not really a big deal in my experience. Because of where I live I have flown to and from practically ever appointment I've ever had (except the ones in All Star in Limerick). With a palm-sized piece I wouldn't even think about it, just follow normal aftercare.

@RoryQ

thanks, I'll have to post pics now that its healed. Much different and the brush stroke detail is now visible. It was a little tough to digest when I was expecting to do a full back piece and the placement changed, but now I'm glad and like you said the panoramic view works better this way.

@nnavarro

Overall the experience was much easier then I was anticipating. I think one of the key things is going to a great artist. I didn't scab or have much swelling at all. Healed really nicely. My friend who went with me got a piece done as well which they were struggling to finish on time and really packed the color in. His experience was a little rougher. He ended up using Saniderm for the flight home. I did not. I just applied A&D before we left the hotel. The plane ride was fine other then that nasty oily feeling of A&D rubbing all over your shirt for 16 hours. Once we landed in the US before our connecting flight, I did reapply A&D as it was starting to feel a little dry after the long flight. It was a pain to put the Saniderm on my friend before we left Hong Kong. Took forever and he still has some scabbing. He had piece of mind on the flight that it was protected, but to me, looked pretty uncomfortable and a lot of hassle for not a lot of benefit.

You should be fine if you're flying out two days later. Just stay healthy and follow a good after care routine.

- - - Updated - - -

My only problem now is I'm ready for the next one and all the artist I want to go to aren't taking appointments. But that's a whole other thread. Any suggestions on artist to check out would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to get in with Shige, Jeff Gogue, David Allen, and even go back to Joey Pang but she's not taking appt. right now.

@JasonM

As far as Yellow Blaze goes (Shige and Tomo), you can contact them by e-mail or telephone. Telephone is probably better, because they get swamped with a lot of non-serious enquiries via e-mail and sometimes they seem to miss correspondence.

Shige's english is pretty good on the phone, but it's best to keep it simple and to the point. If you are really willing to travel to Japan, and are pitching something he is willing to do, then it's possible to book him. I guess, given you've gone to Hong Kong for the above, you know what would be involved.

Yes please do your research as I have no experience with these however since this is formulated by someone well known in the circles I'd take it as being worthy, write him for the details.

Good luck!

One of my artists will straight up refuse to tattoo anyone who has admitted or he has found out used numbing creams. I have personally seen inks not take properly (I saw a moss green ink turn blue as soon as the tattoo had scanned and the healed that way because of chemicals mixing with he minerals in the ink.) not a good idea.