Bro Tats, Relationship Tattoos and good bad ideas!

For years I always advised people away from getting tattoos for anyone other than your parents, siblings or children, for obvious reasons.

As I've gotten older and more heavily tattooed and the designs I wear progressively weirder however, I've found it really fun to get little bro tats and the like, to sort of put a timestamp on really important life events. A matching Mr. Burns head with Mike and my brother, my best friend's initials (she has my portrait in the same spot) and a fun little 'honey moon phase' tattoo with my girlfriend, the Party's Over tattoo with Ron...

The kind of stuff that I'd warn other people about and here I am, getting them all over the place.

So. I thought I'd start a group thread for Bro-tats, His/Hers (or His/His, Hers/Hers, Theirs/Theirs) etc so we can all revel in the bad ideas!

tumblr_mviu5kO2QG1qc2oo7o1_500.jpg

Honeymoon Phase by Nik Lynds.

- - - Updated - - -

132f22eaeb3b11e29a0222000ae91425_7.jpg

Matching Skull in a party hat with Ron Garza. Tattoo- Nakota Garza.

BT/SP- Bethany and Shawn tattoo. Tattoo- David Bruehl.

my kinda thread. me and my best friend have 6 matching tattoos and counting. he started getting tattooed a couple of years after i did, and one of his first tattoos (he got two in the same day his first time) was a matching all seeing eye from bradley tompkins about 3 or so years ago now

tumblr_mwfswgmda61qzl9i6o7_400.jpg

we then got a lil friday 13th tattoo from some matty d'arienzo flash (also in the other picture)

tumblr_mwfswgmda61qzl9i6o3_250.jpg

next up was a pair of rokurokubis from ash davies (mines the one with the pipe)

tumblr_mwfswgmda61qzl9i6o2_250.jpgtumblr_mwfswgmda61qzl9i6o1_250.jpg

we got two during our visit to NYC. first we got some bert krak flash. mine from eli and my friends from steve

tumblr_mwfswgmda61qzl9i6o5_1280.jpg

and a fun NYC memento from tron

tumblr_mwfswgmda61qzl9i6o6_1280.png

last ones we got were this summer. another fun one, some grimm reefers from rose whittaker

tumblr_mwfswgmda61qzl9i6o4_1280.png

i look forward to all the ones we get in the future together. they're all definitely my most sentimental tattoos as they're reminders of fun times blah blah blah

My wife and I have my (now our) family motto in the theban alphabet on our knuckles, I have the first half and she the second.

Other than that, I've had 4 "bro tats" and 4 matching falling-outs with the other folks. All are either covered or have plans to be so.

Just make sure you've known the folks for more than a few months!

My wife and I have my (now our) family motto in the theban alphabet on our knuckles, I have the first half and she the second.

Other than that, I've had 4 "bro tats" and 4 matching falling-outs with the other folks. All are either covered or have plans to be so.

Just make sure you've known the folks for more than a few months!

My first one, with my brother and our friend Mike.. I think we did that one in 2000 or 2001.

Mike went on to become a meth addict who ruined the lives of a bunch of friends of ours, but that one night, when we were all so glad to see each other after I have moved away to PA from central Florida... and the years that we were friends before that.. every time I see that little Mr. Burns head, it reminds me of so many amazing times that what happened after doesn't even play into it.

Sweet thread! Fun to see other people's choices.

I have these three little birds, that I got with two of my lady friends. It's a bit of a funny story;

A friend and I had planned to get a pun tattoo of a lucky "whore's" shoe. A third friend wanted in, before both moved away. They got to looking for images and it went from whore's shoe to fancy ass, high fashion designer concept shoes. I put my foot down! We then brainstormed and came up with a meaningless but agreeable design for all, the birds. Didn't heal great on any of us, maybe because we rubbed them raw hiking two days later. But we've got them, and we'll be friends for ever;)

Looking forward to more silly little ones with other friends in the future!

my kinda thread. me and my best friend have 6 matching tattoos and counting. he started getting tattooed a couple of years after i did, and one of his first tattoos (he got two in the same day his first time) was a matching all seeing eye from bradley tompkins about 3 or so years ago now

tumblr_mwfswgmda61qzl9i6o7_400.jpg

we then got a lil friday 13th tattoo from some matty d'arienzo flash (also in the other picture)

tumblr_mwfswgmda61qzl9i6o3_250.jpg

next up was a pair of rokurokubis from ash davies (mines the one with the pipe)

tumblr_mwfswgmda61qzl9i6o2_250.jpgtumblr_mwfswgmda61qzl9i6o1_250.jpg

we got two during our visit to NYC. first we got some bert krak flash. mine from eli and my friends from steve

tumblr_mwfswgmda61qzl9i6o5_1280.jpg

and a fun NYC memento from tron

tumblr_mwfswgmda61qzl9i6o6_1280.png

last ones we got were this summer. another fun one, some grimm reefers from rose whittaker

tumblr_mwfswgmda61qzl9i6o4_1280.png

i look forward to all the ones we get in the future together. they're all definitely my most sentimental tattoos as they're reminders of fun times blah blah blah

dude your tattoos have been on the swallows and daggers blog

My friend drove from NC to IL by himself to come visit me for my birthday and we went to Chicago and I got tattooed by Nick and he got something from Mario. Decided later on that night to go back and get matching Sailor Jerry butterflies. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures.

I keep trying to talk my mom and brother into getting matching tattoos, nothing going so far though, but I think they would both be up for it, just hasn't happened yet.

Here's an older awkward of matching swallow tattoos me and @Pugilist got almost three years ago:

b4ukif.jpg

I got mine from Bert who then tattooed at Tattoomania, she got hers from Rebecca Guinard at Pol Tattoo. Next year is our fifth wedding anniversary and we have tattoo plans for that, but you all will have to wait and see about those.

Bad filtered photo but my wife and I got matching Smashing Pumpkins hearts a couple years ago right around the time of our birthdays (we're ten days apart). There will definitely be more to come..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9709[/ATTACH]

It's really sweet of ya'all to get my initials!

That's technically a bro-tat, right?

I've got a few, some of them only semi-intentional. One of my hetero-lifemates, Raul, and I have a set of Fear and Loathing referencing shin daggers we started, which i have yet to complete. Waiting to go visit him in Arizona and possibly get Aaron Coleman to do his take on the lizard dagger on me. My fiancee and I have a few... Welsh "true love" tattoos from Jordan Teear, Sailor Jerry flash to commemorate his 101st birthday from Wal Lira, and another lil background piece. My friend/co-worker Jimmy and I have matching sailor skulls from Dobleman flash. And a few of my small town friends and I have tattoos for our hometown of 120 people, Fall River, KS.

I only seem to have photos of the shin daggers on hand, though. This was also the first tattoo I got from the gentleman who eventually gave me a job, and granted me the honor of learning to tattoo.

47699_781027113411_6254592_n.jpg

not as yet but my sisters and I have discussed doing the whole sister tattoo thing. only two of us can agree on some ideas- so that and the fact I live in a different state to them... I don't see it happening real soon!

I have considered getting an axe on my ring finger for my husband.... he has mentioned doing something too- but no names!

I like seeing what everyone else has. I feel like there is an assumption of using really obvious symbolism, but that really doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyways, here are my sister tats.

post-977-146168861504_thumb.jpg

A little anvil guy with a long time friend.

post-977-146168861512_thumb.jpg

I know I've posted this before. Matching anvils with my lady metalsmiths.

I know this is not what Shawn had in mind when he started this thread, but I had to put it up here. I read an article years ago that Syd Barrett, before he died, would go out and take a photo of something then make a painting of the photo then take a photo of the painting. It really moved me, and so does the idea of these twins getting the same tattoos. I doubt that the two things are at all related, outside of my mind, but for some reason they are exactly the same to me.

http://www.th-ink.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Jordan-and-Caleb.jpeg

I know this is not what Shawn had in mind when he started this thread, but I had to put it up here. I read an article years ago that Syd Barrett, before he died, would go out and take a photo of something then make a painting of the photo then take a photo of the painting. It really moved me, and so does the idea of these twins getting the same tattoos. I doubt that the two things are at all related, outside of my mind, but for some reason they are exactly the same to me.

http://www.th-ink.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Jordan-and-Caleb.jpeg

When I first saw this thread I instantly thought of those twins! And I love the Syd Barrett story... I think it definitely relates, just can't articulate how at the moment.