Fixated on adding to my current tattoo and planning for my next one. Random thoughts

purple123

Hey everyone! New member here. I currently have an all black tattoo of a cat sitting on a moon on the side of my ribs. It's supposed to be sort of a silhouette style thing. I got in in remembrance of my mother and her struggles with mental illness. The story is sort of boring. Anyway, haha, it has black stars descending off of it that turned out all sorts of awful. I hastily chose an artist and he definitely rushed the tattoo. It's fairly decent size, like 4 x 5 inches and he finished it in about an hour. This shows in how nonuniform the stars are and random black lines where his hand slipped. Anywho, I found a much better artist who I'm in love with but I'm not entirely sure on the etiquette of adding to a tattoo done by another artist, or if what I want done is even possible. I want to cover the stars with aster flowers (my birth month flower) and dahlia flowers (my mothers birth month flowers. The dahlia would be used to cover the black I suppose with the aster around, since aster flowers are lighter. Would covering black stars be possible with dark purple/blue flowers? I also want coloring behind the moon to give it more of a silhouette look rather than looking tribal. I'd love suggestions. I'm just kind of blabbering on so you guys can get a feel of what I'm looking to do. :)

My next tattoo I want to be an umbrella design of some sort. I've lived in Washington most of my life so I'm very familiar with the rain. I want to move around but want something permanent on me to remind me of where I came from. As for placement I'm thinking between my shoulder blades or my hips.

Hello and welcome. If you want to do a coverup/rework, you should first find an artist and ask him or her what will work because that isn't something we can tell you on the internet, and generally speaking, you need to be very flexible with a coverup. However, without seeing the tattoo, I think it may be better to just leave this tattoo alone for the moment and get that next one you want. Adding things here and there to an existing tattoo that you're not happy with isn't necessarily going to make it better and I think in the case of adding coloured flowers to an all-black cat on a moon, it's just going to look muddled. When you get that next tattoo you'll also focus less on that first tattoo and it won't bother you as much. Who is this artist you've found?

First off, you asked the same questions, twice, on another forum, and didn't like the answers you got (laser it first). The answer hasn't changed. You DO NOT like what you have now, so laser it as much as you are willing to, then get a REALLY GOOD artist to cover the whole thing with something you really want. Really good artists are not necessarily close or cheap, so bear that in mind. Adding work from an artist you do like near a tattoo you do not like will just make it that much harder to ever change or cover the tattoo you do not like.