Question about traditional flash

While there are some really cool pieces of flash I'd love to get tattooed, I'd really want to get it tattooed by the artist that did it.

Agreed! Some styles are so unique to the specific artist that any attempt to capture it from a different party will fall short 99.9% of the time no matter how qualified or talented the 2nd tattooer is.

Can anyone else do a deVita tattoo? Nobody can channel that. Not entirely unsurprising that Higgs falls into the same 'lineage' of styles that can't be duplicated. Probably 50 other artists that I'm not taking the time to think of and list.

That's enough of me seemingly like putting anyone on a pedestal; partially because those people wouldn't want that and also because I'm not trying to seem like a fanboy. Just someone that appreciates tattoos with soul.

My 2 cents sorry if I derailed the thread.

the higgs style is so simple yet so powerful, it's easy to fuck it up.

like has been said there are lots of artists that have a unique style, and if you want that style then you should get tattooed by them.

if there is a rad flash sheet in the shop then yeah, get something off of it.

as far whats frowned upon with the artists i know...lifted from the internet: a pic of a flash sheet, pretty sure. some other art, maybe. a picture for reference, probably not. anything you show them on yr smartphone, definitely.

When I wanted something higgs influenced I had an idea of people I thought would do it justice. I waited a little bit just to see whats what. When I meet Jason Scott I found out Dan Higgs worked with/for him...did a bunch of tattoos on him including a fucking GREAT back piece. THEN he told me he had a book of a bunch of rare higgs flash,drawings and pictures etc and then it was obvious who I would get to do these higgs influenced tattoos. I told him my general idea and he came up with something heavily influenced but "new" with integrity. Certainly hes not the only one in the world to have this kind of contact but I think hes a great person/tattooer. Is he into as much of the mystical ideas behind the tattoos....NO...but he speaks the language via his tattoos stronger then those who have no contact with higgs. Hes more a fan of tattooing and strongly looked up to higgs. I think its a BIG factor when it comes to something like getting a higgs flash or something based on his style. I would have been bummed just walking in with a print out of some higgs flash and asking someone with little knowledge to pop it on me....but your free to do as you wish. Plus the great stories you get from a tattooer who knows the guy make it worth the going out of your way.... Good luck.

ps. I could just be a fan boy....but I dont care. Everyones a critc.

When I got a portrait on leg, I told Josh Brown (tattooer) I wanted it to be loose and Higgs-esque. I trusted Josh because, I knew what his tattoos looked liked. I also liked the fact that his full back is from Dan, one of a handful that I know exist (I haven't seen it, because he refuses to show it to anyone, it is that sacred to him). Good mojo all around.

When I wanted something higgs influenced I had an idea of people I thought would do it justice. I waited a little bit just to see whats what. When I meet Jason Scott I found out Dan Higgs worked with/for him...did a bunch of tattoos on him including a fucking GREAT back piece. THEN he told me he had a book of a bunch of rare higgs flash,drawings and pictures etc and then it was obvious who I would get to do these higgs influenced tattoos. I told him my general idea and he came up with something heavily influenced but "new" with integrity. Certainly hes not the only one in the world to have this kind of contact but I think hes a great person/tattooer. Is he into as much of the mystical ideas behind the tattoos....NO...but he speaks the language via his tattoos stronger then those who have no contact with higgs. Hes more a fan of tattooing and strongly looked up to higgs. I think its a BIG factor when it comes to something like getting a higgs flash or something based on his style. I would have been bummed just walking in with a print out of some higgs flash and asking someone with little knowledge to pop it on me....but your free to do as you wish. Plus the great stories you get from a tattooer who knows the guy make it worth the going out of your way.... Good luck.

ps. I could just be a fan boy....but I dont care. Everyones a critc.

have you posted a photo of this piece anywhere?

I think an important point here is thus: Can you ever really trust the authenticity of a design when you find flash you like online? When you see a sheet in a shop, you can look at the marking/stamps/etc. to determine it is the real deal. You know that sheet is designed as intended by the artist. The same can hardly be said for the internet. I could take every Sailor Jerry sheet, throw it in photoshop and then upload it online and no one would ever know it was slightly different. Unless, of course, you have access to the real, physical thing.

I think an important point here is thus: Can you ever really trust the authenticity of a design when you find flash you like online? When you see a sheet in a shop' date=' you can look at the marking/stamps/etc. to determine it is the real deal. You know that sheet is designed as intended by the artist. The same can hardly be said for the internet. I could take every Sailor Jerry sheet, throw it in photoshop and then upload it online and no one would ever know it was slightly different. Unless, of course, you have access to the real, physical thing.[/quote']

I personally have never actually 'printed' anything. I have saved images and emailed..

The only design I have that was credited to an artist was a sailor Jerry piece and on tattoo day it was taken from one of a couple SJ flash books, as I was asked to find the piece I wanted.

I'll say again, there are interesting points of discussion on this subject..but it's also easy to over think this and possibly scare some ppl from getting nice designs from good artists.

The thought that if you can't take a week, three days to drive across the country to get tattooed by a particular artist, then you've no business with their design is unreasonable and frankly laughable.. Is that the ideal way to do it? Damn right it is.

There are countless ppl with Hardy flash, SJ flash and probably Higgs flash too that were not tattooed the artist. Are they 'wrong' or 'bad tattoos' to have because of this? Not a chance. The only exception IMO is if they're running around claiming they have been done by these guys or are claiming the design belongs to their artist.. Otherwise, rock the fuck out.

You know where there are better references than the internet? Tattoo shops. You know who has a shit ton of flash/books? Tattoo shops. You know who is well acquainted with these collections? Tattooers.

Do some initial poking around, then find a tattooer or shop, then go say, "Hey, I saw this Jerry wolf, the full body one with his tongue hanging out," or whatever you want, and they'll say, "Oh yeah, lemme see, was it this one?" And more than likely, they'll pick out one of the SJ books they've undoubtedly got and flip to the page and you'll say, "Oh yeah, that's it, that line drawing is way better than the one I found online."

You know where there are better references than the internet? Tattoo shops. You know who has a shit ton of flash/books? Tattoo shops. You know who is well acquainted with these collections? Tattooers.

Do some initial poking around, then find a tattooer or shop, then go say, "Hey, I saw this Jerry wolf, the full body one with his tongue hanging out," or whatever you want, and they'll say, "Oh yeah, lemme see, was it this one?" And more than likely, they'll pick out one of the SJ books they've undoubtedly got and flip to the page and you'll say, "Oh yeah, that's it, that line drawing is way better than the one I found online."

I'll second this. And I'll add yet another echo of "If the shop doesn't have the flash, you shouldn't be getting tattooed there." @Synesthesia I personally don't see any qualm with you bringing in a print-out just in case, especially if you're going to a shop that would most likely have it anyways.

Agreed! Some styles are so unique to the specific artist that any attempt to capture it from a different party will fall short 99.9% of the time no matter how qualified or talented the 2nd tattooer is.

Can anyone else do a deVita tattoo? Nobody can channel that. Not entirely unsurprising that Higgs falls into the same 'lineage' of styles that can't be duplicated. Probably 50 other artists that I'm not taking the time to think of and list.

That's enough of me seemingly like putting anyone on a pedestal; partially because those people wouldn't want that and also because I'm not trying to seem like a fanboy. Just someone that appreciates tattoos with soul.

I've thought about this plenty of times. I want a Devita piece, but obviously I won't be able to get that. I've always thought the next best thing is to get someone that knows him, understands him, etc. to do it. Granted, I know I can't get Scott Harrison to do it (maybe I can?) but if he were still actively tattooing, I'd ask to get something similar to a Devita tattoo. While it won't be a Devita tattoo, I know it'll have the essence of a Devita tattoo since someone that knows and appreciates Devita is doing it.

I've thought about this plenty of times. I want a Devita piece, but obviously I won't be able to get that. I've always thought the next best thing is to get someone that knows him, understands him, etc. to do it. Granted, I know I can't get Scott Harrison to do it (maybe I can?) but if he were still actively tattooing, I'd ask to get something similar to a Devita tattoo. While it won't be a Devita tattoo, I know it'll have the essence of a Devita tattoo since someone that knows and appreciates Devita is doing it.

I am lucky enough to have a tattoo done by Scott Harrison that is two pieces of Devita flash mashed together. One of them Thom tattooed on Scott. I don't know if it carries any thing spiritual or transcendental, but i love the tattoo, and I am extremely proud to have it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a tattooed but from my understanding when a tattoo artist does a Flash Sheet, he or she is doing it for the purpose of being used by others for tattooing, if they have purchased the sheet or book it came from. This is different even from a piece of artwork that is stand alone art, flash is to be reproduced. But I agree with who said earlier that if the artist doesn't have flash perhaps you should find an artist that does.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that if you own a flash sheet or collection of sheets you can bring that to an artist as long as they are going to do the design your bringing them justice. Recently i drove from MA to Milwaukee to see the Dietzel exhibit and bought the first volume of the flash collection and when i returned home i went to a local artist, who i knew would be proud to do a Dietzel design and she did a great job. to me that is different than printing the design offline and not knowing the significance of the flash you are getting tattooed on you.

• 2 weeks later...