The Tattoo News

Iwar

Not news, necessarily, but there are some scammers operating on ebay. I'm quite flummoxed that people are actually bidding on this. The fact that tattoo machines are involved implies that the people that are bidding are tattooers. That painting is 100% garbage. It was clearly painted the day before the auction went up by someone who can't paint. And I don't paint, or tattoo, but can tell.

These people are well known scammers who have been doing things like this for a while.

Vintage Antique Tattoo Flash Machine | eBay

They are earning a lot from cheating people (see attachment) and that's just a handful of what they've been selling.

Here's a post from Nick Ackman about them -

http://instagram.com/p/qPme6qLDzX/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just met an older biker lady that has a Paul Jeffries piece she got 18 years ago. Koi fish and phoenix on the side of her leg - calf, knee and thigh. The finger waves and the blue ink was spectacular, bright and vibrant, no browning. Incredible. Tattoos definately do look the best after they've aged for several years...if you get em done right!

Come to think of it...I think I have seen her tattoo before, maybe in this book? I'll have to check my bookshelf later

Tattooing from Japan to the West: Takahiro Kitamura: 9780764321238: Amazon.com: Books

I'm pretty spoiled though, my buddy has been getting tattooed exclusively by Paul Jeffries and we get to see his regular progress. Half sleeves, chest plates and full back. They are now finishing up by extending the arms down to the wrist with a Smiling Buddha tribute on his forearm. Awesome :cool:

Ive just been to the Matt Lodder talk on Sutherland MacDonald. It was fascinating! Loads of interesting stuff, way ahead of his time it seems, and was blown away by the detail in the tattoos from the time. I'm looking forward to the book he is working on coming out.

Oh and just thought I'd mention Ed Hardy was there!!!

:eek::eek::eek:

I agree. And from what Miles told me while i was being tattooed there a while ago, Frith Street has had quite a few greats come and go. Obviously there's no "replacing" any of the 4 artists mentioned, but its safe to say that if anyone is brought in to fill the empty spots, they will probably be someone who puts on a pretty damn good tattoo...

Yeah, but good for them! FST is obviously fantastic, but the ultimate goal in life is progression, and as long as you aren't burning a bridge or opening up across the street, it can be a good thing. Frith Street is still solid, and it isn't like they will probably never sit in there from time to time.

Oh absolutely! That probably came across negative and i didn't want it to at all, it's awesome to see people starting new things and branching out on their own.

• 1 month later...
Looks like Valerie Vargas & Stewart Robson are opening up a new shop soon: Modern Classic Tattoo | Coming Soon!

Ok , so I missed this post when you made it in September, but just saw Valerie's post on IG today about it, and my mind was blown.

I am wondering about the fact that Soap (who is a really nice guy and great tattooer) will be tattooing there though. What is happening with Lab Monkey tattoo in Stirling? Has he sold it, or will he still own it but work in the new London shop, or...? His own instagram (@soap138) mentions the new shop but doesn't mention the status of the old. If I'm not mistaken, Lab Monkey is where @Stewart Robson got started tattooing, or at least was a key part of his early tattooing career.

What is happening with Lab Monkey tattoo in Stirling? Has he sold it, or will he still own it but work in the new London shop, or...? His own instagram (@soap138) mentions the new shop but doesn't mention the status of the old...

...Stewart Robson got started tattooing, or at least was a key part of his early tattooing career.

Thanks for the interest but... people have no problem asking personal questions on the internet huh?

But to be less abrasive:

Soap will be working at Modern Classic in Fulham, London one week each month... then we'll see what happens. There are myriad factors to consider after that but the long-term goal is for him to work full time eventually.

The "status" of Lab Monkey for the coming months is the same as it has been for years - it's open, with Soap and others (currently Adam) doing tattoos.

If Soap sells his existing shop isn't really anyone's business but his own. Same deal if he gives it to unicorns, another tattooer, or simply closes the doors forever. Whatever happens, Soap himself will give appropriate information.

Yes, Lab Monkey is the first shop I did a tattoo in. While I was still struggling to learn, without structured guidance and tattooing out of my house, Soap graciously offered to let me sit in at his place for a week. That was the first time I tattooed people that I didn't already know. I'd been tattooing for about a year at that point. I've tried to return when my schedule allows.

The information we've given about the shop is all that we've had the time to prepare. It's been a hectic 12 months preparing the shop. Especially hectic since the end of August when we got legal access to the premises. There's also been a bunch of conventions, visitors and regular work to do with Frith Street while getting our new space ready. - To answer another frequently asked question: Everybody at Frith Street knew about our shop since the end of 2013. They have all been supportive, interested and helpful with myself, Valerie and our new manager. Especially Naomi and Dante.

It's easy to leave a shop on sour terms. Not so easy to keep it sweet. Sometimes we don't get a choice. So Valerie and I have gone to great lengths to preserve our working and personal relationship with everyone at Frith Street. I will keep my Sunday appointments there for the foreseeable future.

Rest assured, we will make public updates with relevant information in due course, when time allows. Right now, we're concentrating on opening a street-level, regular tattoo shop that's practical and convenient for the people who work there and the people who want to get tattooed there.

Your best bet for reliable info is the shop Instagram, Twitter and website.

Keep 'em peeled!...

Thanks for the interest but... people have no problem asking personal questions on the internet huh?

Didn't mean it to be overly personal, nor would I have at all expected info to be posted here that was private! I sincerely apologize for for any offense. I just wondered if maybe Lab Monkey was either closing or being sold and that info was already 'public' in a way that might not have reached all the way over the pond here. Which would, to me at least, have qualified as 'Tattoo News'. I got tattooed at Lab Monkey last year, not by Soap but he did one on my friend at the same time.

I added the info about you just as a way to a) put out a little info about Soap and Lab Monkey that people might not have already known and b) to work your name into the question in the hopes that you would provide a great response here :)

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I wish you all the best with the new shop!

I was excited to read that Marcus Kuhn (of Gypsy Gentleman) fame is tattooing out of Dragon Tattoo in Eindhoven now.

I visit the Netherlands quite a bit for work, and it's not so far on a train from where I tend to be. Maybe I can do a bus-man's holiday and get tattooed.

Could be wrong and maybe it's just a guest spot, but I got the impression he was going to be sticking around there for a while.

I was excited to read that Marcus Kuhn (of Gypsy Gentleman) fame is tattooing out of Dragon Tattoo in Eindhoven now.

I visit the Netherlands quite a bit for work, and it's not so far on a train from where I tend to be. Maybe I can do a bus-man's holiday and get tattooed.

Could be wrong and maybe it's just a guest spot, but I got the impression he was going to be sticking around there for a while.

His instagram yesterday showed him filming again. Hopefully he'll putting out another instalment in his series!