The Tattoo News

Iwar

Hey guys,

Sad news out of Toronto, the Okey Doke was hit by a fire last night, according to India's Instagram, they'll be closed until further notice - if you have an upcoming tattoo with any of the excellent artists there contact them ASAP. I know the shop owners here in TO are close so I imagine you'll see the Okey Doke crew guesting around the city.

Fire started next door as an accident and spread through a few buildings. It was a four alarm fire. Someone lost their kitty but no one else was hurt - from what I've ready their machines and some of the art survived. No news on where everyone is setting up in the meantime.

____

Added on to say we talked to Franz today and most of the machines, books and art were salvageable and they've found a new location and will be re-opening in a few weeks - all around good news.

Edited by El Dolmago
some good news!

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Lance said:

Not sure if anyone posted about this previously. Is anyone planning to attend the 'Tatau' exhibit at the Japanese American National Museum in LA? Opens in a couple weeks, July 30.

Yes! Definitely want to check this out, but not sure when. Probably late summer (Sept?)

• 3 weeks later...

@Lance, @TrixieFaux & I caught the opening of the Tatau exhibit at the Japanese American National Museum in L.A.'s Little Tokyo last weekend that Taki from State of Grace put together. Saw some live tattooing which was very cool. Takes three people – one to tap, tap, tap and two to stretch the skin. Beautiful traditional Polynesian style tattooing that flows with the body. Definitely not your '90s tribal. Highly recommended. Here's a pic of Chris Nunez introducing the tattoo models.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is some more tattoo news, though it's not very happy news. :( Art Work Rebels in Portland burned to the ground due to a gas line leak. 100% of what was in the shop was lost. Nobody who works there was hurt, but apparently the girl who was living upstairs from them is in the hospital and a bunch of firefighters also got hurt trying to get to her. 

Jeff Croci has set up a gofundme to help them get back on their feet. If you're feeling like you have a spare buck, I imagine every little bit helps.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 12/21/2016 at 4:16 PM, Twin Guillotines said:

Everybody on Earth, in Oakland/Bay Area. Tattoo 13 is bleeding dry these days. Sorry, not sorry about the news. Go get tattooed!

It appears to be a lot of movemen in the Oakland SF area with artists moving around or out.