The Tattoo News

Iwar

He told me that it's Doug pushing him to reprint them, not his own desire to milk anything. Said he hadn't even considered reprinting Tattootime until Doug said he should. The profits from book sales is probably 1/100th of his income to be honest. Even Taki says that book sales are usually not the cashing-in type of income.

"cash in" was a poor choice of words on my part. didn't mean to imply any negativity about making a tiny profit. A better wording would be Ed and Doug recognize there is a high demand for this stuff. i happily plan on buying most of these reprints for myself and am hoping the flash prints that Trevor mentioned on instagram will be in my price range.

I know what you meant no worries. And yes I think Doug saw that and knew it would be a popular idea.

Yeah if I didn't already have everything they've reprinted I'd be buying it. I'm waiting for the big red book because although I have all the pages they aren't in the book; they were put up on the wall of a shop when having that book or ordering a new copy wasn't a big deal and nobody predicted it would sell out and not be reprinted. Definitely took that one for granted.

I purchased the three flash books last night. My impulses vs bank account are in fisticuffs at the moment. I'm definitely looking forward to them reissuing the red flash book.

I have a second edition of American Tattoo Master. The first edition had a navy blue border around it, if I am not mistaken.

That said, NEWS:

Andrew Malcolm at Skull & Sword full time! Mind melts...

Not re-pressed yet but worth seeking out is the Eye Tattooed America book. For some reason I just assume everybody has the same books I have. I'm kind of in the same boat as Ed in that respect of not realizing how popular they were. When I heard they were reprinting Tattootime I said to myself "I thought everybody has those books?"

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading the Guardian website the other day on my phone on the way home from work. I was in a pretty good mood at having got through the week and looking forward to getting lunch with my girlfriend the next day.

And then I saw this article! I don't think I have ever read anything so hysterically crazy from a parent about her kid getting a tattoo. It's made worse by it appearing in a well respected newspaper that usually is pretty liberal and fair minded about personal freedom.

Thought I'd post it up here and see what you guys made of it. The lady equates her sons small tattoo to him losing a limb. It's an insult to parents whose kids have suffered real loss and problems. The worst type of English class snobbery.

My son's tattoo hurt me deeply | Life and style | The Guardian

A woman's psychotic overreaction to her son's tattoo - an old thread about this article

I remember having a discussion with my friend who hates tattoos about how nuts this lady is when this article came out. As for the declining editorial standards of the Guardian, I'll put up with the fluff (and read some of it - Sali Hughes basically taught me how to do makeup) as long as they continue to break things like the Edward Snowden story.

My mom dislikes tattoos ("too big and too colorful") but realises that she raised me to make my own decisions.

I should have realised that someone would have stumbled upon this at the time and posted it up, good to have a read though, thanks. I completely agree that you gotta just sort the wheat from the chaff, I have a subscription to The New York Times online and some of it bores/irritates the hell out of me. But for the most part it's an excellent paper with some real good investigative journalists, much like The Guardian over here.

I just occasionally feel that with the online opinion blogs there is a massive dip in quality, and that it shouldn't lend it's name to some of that shit. Then again you guys are probly right that its sometimes deliberately inflammatory to get people reading. Either way it certainly got my blood up on the bus journey home!

• 2 weeks later...

It was discovered in http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-after-care/327-tattooers-what-worst-thing-s-someone-can-do-tattoo.html that hydrogen peroxide can be used as a tattoo remover as long as it hasn't healed yet. to the point that apparently an artist mid-tattoo realized he made a mistake and tattooed the HP into the mistake making it disappear so the ink could be reapplied correctly later.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I never even knew there was a tattoo culture magazine... just knew the artist one was for professionals only. Is there plenty in there for folks who have very little understanding of the technical aspects, or do you kinda have to know to get anything out of it? (The artist version that is)