Artists that sign their work

Really? I admit it is a great tattoo but I can't help but stare at the signature now. It's so close to dead center and not hidden at all. Meh maybe that's just me.

What the name on the skateboard? if you did not know better it could easily be something the client wanted that meant something to them

• 8 months later...

So does this mean everyone here who said signing tattoos is the worst ever and people who do so deserve 'fists flying' feel that way about Paul Rogers or Erik Inksmith? I bet you don't. How's that for a double standard.

I've seen lots of old tattoos with signatures. Not just from Paul and Erik theirs I've just had more exposure to.

Also to the guy with the Jap backpiece. The artist signing his name wasn't what 'dragged you into the Japanese political bullshit'. Going to Japan and willingly getting a backpiece dragged you into it. Also I doubt it's ever had a negative effect in your life. Get over it.

the "Grime" board is a take on the classic Hosoi hammerhead deck.

Grime and Norm started as graffiti artists and a lot of non-tattoo people know them from that work alone. Graffiti pieces are about getting your name up and if someone was going for that style in a tattoo, it makes total sense to me.

just in case anyone was wondering, the skeleton is holding an aaron murray board. to me that's probably just as cool that he chose that deck for the tattoo.

you seen the Grime Tattoo Age yet? everything about this tattoo makes sense in context of his love of skateboarding. that dudes got a serious shred sled collection.

@Jake, i have! actually it's weird that the first time i had "discovered" grimes work/website was probably about 8-9 years ago when i was doing some internet searching for certain decks that i had always liked. he had some photos up and then i noticed that he had posted that he would trade tattoos for certain ones he was looking for...good stuff.

dsc00614_thumb.jpg

oh, and i do this thing where i tattoo an image of my face on people for 20 euro/dollars. and one customer seemed to want to spend a little more, so i also put the brian kelly army around the image and charged him the shop minimum of 80 euro. he was quite happy. i didn't think how i had put my name on him until someone else pointed it out to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi its my first post

i totally dont get the idea of signing ur work . how vain is that. all the good outstanding artists dont do this practise.

i find many images on the web signed.ironicaly the tattoos are usually poorley done anyway. so why would u tag them.

as someone else said on this thread u normally can tell who the artist is any way .

oh, and i do this thing where i tattoo an image of my face on people for 20 euro/dollars. and one customer seemed to want to spend a little more, so i also put the brian kelly army around the image and charged him the shop minimum of 80 euro. he was quite happy. i didn't think how i had put my name on him until someone else pointed it out to me.

So do people come in and specifically ask for your face to be tattooed on them?

Hi its my first post

i totally dont get the idea of signing ur work . how vain is that. all the good outstanding artists dont do this practise.

vain ? no.

I really don't get why it's not o.k. to sign your name on tattoo art but it is ok to sign your name on any other kind of art (paintings, sculpture, illustration, etc.)

If the person getting the tattoo doesn't care that you signed it or wants you to sign it I really don't see where the problem is.

Y'all need to get over it. After all, just because it's on you doesn't make it your art. It is and always will be the art of the person who did the tattoo.

• 4 weeks later...

When I was in Australia a few years back , I was fortunate enough to get tattooed by Bev "Cindy Ray" Robinson. A small souvenier butterfly and I asked her to put her classic "Cindy Ray", with a little love heart for the dot above the "i", signature below it....she was a little taken aback, but was more than happy to do so. One of my favorites to this day.

• 2 years later...