Artists that sign their work

I know that there is Tattoo artists and collectors here. I just wondering what your thoughts are on the Tattoo artists that sign their work. Good idea, bad idea, or do you care either way?

I've been surfing on the web and have seen some tattoos with what appears to be a signature along with it.

I personally do not think that its a good idea. You went to an artist that you choose and you know who it was, if they have a unique style everyone will know who did the tattoo. That alone should be the signature.

When I was starting out, A few people asked and I politely declined. After I had ten years in If someone asked for it , I did it. I'm tattooing as a service to the client first so the signing of the work seems like an ego stroke I don't need. If I'm doing a piece that has over 20 hrs into it and I've become good friends with the client, I'm more than happy to "sign" it. I Have a couple of clever yet tasteful ways I've done it. As a tattooer I consider it an honor to be asked. I've given the customer everything I've got, so why not. To some customers I'm some sort of awesome art guy and to others I'm the guy's name they can't remember that tattooed their ex's name. So whatever!

That makes sense Dean. I love seeing both sides of the coin its great. It also seems to make sense that if the client wants the tattoo signed that maybe they should have to sign a waver so that the artist does not get sued like that article I found.

Another thought on that subject. I once got a tattoo from an OG Hori and he signed his name to the piece without asking. If it wasn't written in Japanese, there would've been some fists a flying. But still, now if I go to Japan, I've got this guy's name tattooed on me which puts me in the middle of their tattoo political bullshit. Not to big of a deal but the older I get , the more it pisses me off .

Another thought on that subject. I once got a tattoo from an OG Hori and he signed his name to the piece without asking. If it wasn't written in Japanese, there would've been some fists a flying. But still, now if I go to Japan, I've got this guy's name tattooed on me which puts me in the middle of their tattoo political bullshit. Not to big of a deal but the older I get , the more it pisses me off .

Dean, I feel you on this one, because Scott worked at one shop in Japan on his first visit, he's kind of tied to it forever, and there's a lot of ceremony involved. Do you know Tokyo Hiro? He broke it all down for me, and I'll never forget his "In Japan, I am asshole" as his tattoo style is very American and he avoids the formality.

Thanks everyone for schooling me on the signed tattoos. I love that I really can learn something new on here everyday, and thanks to Rockelman for bringing it up.

Hey no problem! I thought that it would be a good conversation thread. I knew a bit about artists signing their work but I did not know how in Japan it put you into their political game. That's just not fair at all. Especially for the collector who wants a tattoo while on vacation.

OH boy if you ever go to Japan you have to make sure you take lots of pictures of engrish LOL look it up Engrish.com tones for funny translations for English people in Asian countries

the teacher for my woodblock class pronounces it "crass". the whole class looked confused and i just smiled and giggled on the inside. he pronounced my name right (and not lobin haha).

he was also wearing a beret, but that's a whole different topic haha... god i love community college art classes sometimes.

That's a killer tattoo! You cant tell if it has been signed by the artist. Nice pic

Really? I admit it is a great tattoo but I can't help but stare at the signature now. It's so close to dead center and not hidden at all. Meh maybe that's just me.