Protection...

TigerBlue77

Curious if anyone uses any type of protection say while at work or exercising?

I have a very active job, and one that badly destroy a tattoo if not careful! I work around high temperatures and naturally being "warm blooded" I sweat a lot so always wearing the long sleeve version of my work shirt, sucks!

I work a physical job as well, and one that has me working with high temperatures (steam and boiling liquids) and some fairly nasty chemicals, but I don't really take any special steps to protect myself other when I'm healing. Maybe I'll put on a longer pair of gloves instead of nitrile examination gloves when I'm dispensing chemicals, but I don't wear long sleeves all the time. As it is, only short sleeves are allowed according to the dress code, though visible tattoos aren't allowed. Go figure.

With a fresh tattoo I always try to keep it covered, which isn't much of an issue living in winter wonderland. But I avoid the gym at all costs, so exercise hasn't been an issue, but if you work out with a lot of people, come in touch with anything other sweaty people touch, I'd suggest covering up that fresh tattoo alright :p If it's just your own sweat you should be fine.

I used to work with some chemicals and once in a while some would splash on to my skin, and once it did leave a mark of lighter skin for a while on part of my sleeve. (ironically, due to sterilizing tattoo equipment..) Disappeared after a few months, so wasn't too deep, but it freaked me out for a while! :p

I've been using the Tat2X sleeves to cover as my employer feels they are unprofessional.

They actually work pretty good protecting me from minor scraps and scratches. They do help with the high temperature sensitivity as well. If chemical gets in them they do afford me a few extra seconds to remove and rinse rather than immediate/direct contact. They're a little toasty in the summer. But manageable.

Curious if there are any other similar products out there?

• 3 weeks later...
I recently tattooed a friend who works at a doggie daycare. In order to keep his tattoo clean, I recommended to him to wear a long sleeve shirt while working with animals. I have seen guys who work in welding who have had tattoos straight burned off!

Yea welding can be tough on skin. Nothing was more fun that getting "sunburned" when I was welding a lot (without proper protection).