Apply now to be one of the first humans to colonize Mars! No return!

cltattooing

Step right up and prove why you should get a one-way ticket to Mars! Well, wait -- you might want to know a little more about the venture first.

A Dutch company called Mars One began looking Monday for volunteer astronauts to fly to Mars. Departure for the Red Planet is scheduled for 2022, landing seven months later in 2023.

The space travelers will return ... never. They will finish out their lives on Mars, representatives from the nonprofit said.

"It's likely that there will be a crematorium," said CEO Bas Lansdorp. "It's up to the people on Mars to decide what to do with their dead."

Still, the company said it has received more than 10,000 e-mails from interested would-be spacefarers.

Mars applicants apply here

The one-way ticket makes the mission possible because it greatly reduces costs, and the technology for a return flight doesn't exist, according to Mars One's website. At a news conference, Lansdorp maintained that "no new inventions are needed to land humans on Mars."

Read more here:

A one-way ticket to Mars, apply now - CNN.com

Mission to colonise Mars: 'Columbus didn't wait; nor should we' | Science | theguardian.com

A one-way ticket too tempting to ignore: 165,000 apply for mission to colonise Mars - despite no chance of them ever returning to Earth - Science - News - The Independent

So! There's that. Anyone interested in signing your life away to be a privately owned guinea pig living on Mars? :P

edit: also, fuck Colombus. That's all :cool:

May I ask why you would go? I am opposed to this entire motion' date=' so I'd be interested to hear the viewpoint of someone who would consider such a venture. Not trying to argue or debate, just curious as to why you would go![/quote']

There's a chance it could end in some kind of painful death but there's also a chance it could be something significant for mankind.

Really hard to say, but it feels interesting, intriguing and possibly significant, so if you had nothing to tie you down here, why not I guess lol

There's a chance it could end in some kind of painful death but there's also a chance it could be something significant for mankind.

Really hard to say, but it feels interesting, intriguing and possibly significant, so if you had nothing to tie you down here, why not I guess lol

The spirit of adventure calls, eh? :)

- - - Updated - - -

Could it really be worse than living on earth? Haha

Oh my god, yes! haha! would you like me to go into all of the reasons why I think this is a terrible idea?

The spirit of adventure calls' date=' eh? :) - - - Updated - - - Oh my god, yes! haha! would you like me to go into all of the reasons why I think this is a terrible idea?[/quote']

A little, of course it'd have to be a perfect storm of circumstances. As it stands, I would not leave my current life behind.

I have not read through the thread, but I have been a science fiction nerd since I could read.

Anyone applying NOW for a 2022 trip to Mars should be 10 or under or will be too old for that shiz. According to science fiction.

anyway. i will now read the thread. sorry guys. weird morning weird post.

edit. I thought it was 2010. my maths were off. oyyy veyyyy

Edited by beez
math.

A little, of course it'd have to be a perfect storm of circumstances. As it stands, I would not leave my current life behind.

Yeah... I suppose there is some attraction to jumping into completely unknown and unreliable circumstances, just to see what happens, just to see if something good might come of it.

dont you think you could just hold your breath and die here on earth? where are all the supplies gonna come from?

Yeah... I suppose there is some attraction to jumping into completely unknown and unreliable circumstances' date=' just to see what happens, just to see if something good might come of it.[/quote']
dont you think you could just hold your breath and die here on earth? where are all the supplies gonna come from?

Ever since the beginning of mankind ppl have plunged head long into the unknown. I'm sure countless sailors met watery graves perfecting boats, same with airplanes and cars, not to mention discovering new lands.

To relate this somewhat to tattooing, I'm sure even the greatest tattooers, painters and artists did bad work before finally getting it right. These things are not 'life and death' if you will but no great things come without great mistakes.

Again, I won't be applying for this, I have a great life including a beautiful wife and daughter, a great family and decent job, but the idea that we(the human race) is about embark on expanding life if exciting to me. :shrug:

Ever since the beginning of mankind ppl have plunged head long into the unknown. I'm sure countless sailors met watery graves perfecting boats, same with airplanes and cars, not to mention discovering new lands.

To relate this somewhat to tattooing, I'm sure even the greatest tattooers, painters and artists did bad work before finally getting it right. These things are not 'life and death' if you will but no great things come without great mistakes.

Again, I won't be applying for this, I have a great life including a beautiful wife and daughter, a great family and decent job, but the idea that we(the human race) is about embark on expanding life if exciting to me. :shrug:

i understand what youre getting at i cant say i dont agree with you. i just feel like the one difference between your comparisons is that there was always a glimmer of hope. on one hand it feels like, hey jump in this "boat" it might sink but just in case, make sure you can swim.

on the other hand it just feels like, hey dopey get on this rocket and you wont come back.

if that makes any sense at all.

i understand what youre getting at i cant say i dont agree with you. i just feel like the one difference between your comparisons is that there was always a glimmer of hope. on one hand it feels like' date=' hey jump in this "boat" it might sink but just in case, make sure you can swim. on the other hand it just feels like, hey dopey get on this rocket and you wont come back. if that makes any sense at all.[/quote']

Hahaha hell yeah! I get it! For sure! I do hope there's ppl smart enough to relay the info back to earth!

Yeah... I suppose there is some attraction to jumping into completely unknown and unreliable circumstances, just to see what happens, just to see if something good might come of it.

The only real difference is that you know that there's no return trip. Nothing in life is a given, its something that most folks take for granted. Our daily routine and ritual becomes a comfort that obscures our ability to see it sometimes.

I don't know that I'd want to do it based on just reading an article. But also, I wouldn't make my decision based on fear or concern of dying. Fear frequently needs to be confronted and death is a fact that each of us is all racing towards everyday.