San Jose and San Fransico

TigerBlue77

Heading out to California for a few tattoo sessions in February.

Looking for advice for "must see" adventures, oddities, sites, events, tourist attractions, art shows, galleries, street art, tattoo shops, restaurants etc.

Lay it on me, I want to do as much as I can in that 5 day week end, as I've never been before.

I'm a bit heavy on the tattoo schedule with an 8 hour session scheduled with the best artist you never heard of, and who I believe to be the best tattoo artist in North America, Khuong Ngyuen and a little banger scheduled with the Grime.

I would love to know how to schedule a little banger with Horitomo to experience tebori style tattooing.

where abouts sf are you going to be? and what are some of your interests? if weather permits, walking around and drinking a few beers while people watching in golden gate park (or any of the other parks) would be pretty relaxing after a weekend full of tattoos. theres tons to see, and tons of places to just kick back in ggp. the de young museum is located in the middle of the park as well, but if you like low brow, graffiti type art FIFTY24 is a nice little gallery on lower haight to hang at.

as for restaurants, options are bottomless. id definitely suggest hanging out in the mission (tons of bars, food, murals, and sick art around) and grabbing a burrito at either farlito or cancun.

For sure want to see some cool land mark sites. Graffiti yes, burritos yes, people watching yes!

I'm a saltwater fish/coral head wouldn't mind seeing a shop or aquarium. I also collect hand blown glass, that would make a pretty cool souvenir in addition to some tattoos!

Maybe check out State of Grace and see if there is any prints it art available since I can't get a tattoo appointment.

Go to the Asian Art Museum!!! A must see! Go have sushi at Isobune in the Japan center, and go drink like 5 fresh-squeezed grayhounds at Cafe Van Kleef in Oakland. The botanical gardens in golden gate park are free, and quite gorgeous. The California Academy of Sciences is one of my favorite places in San Francisco, definitely worth spending half a day over there.

And if you do go to Oakland, go visit Temple Tattoo, walk around Lake Merritt (super beautiful and romantic and stuff), and end your night at Van Kleef's. Also in Oakland are Tattoo 13 and FTW, and if you can make it half a mile north from FTW, George Campise's shop Warhorse Tattoo is definitely worth a visit.

The Mission has the best tacos and dive bars in the city, along with the best street art. Haight is also worth a visit, and if you're down there, you might as well pop into Idle Hand.

Hope that helps!

For sure want to see some cool land mark sites. Graffiti yes, burritos yes, people watching yes!

I'm a saltwater fish/coral head wouldn't mind seeing a shop or aquarium. I also collect hand blown glass, that would make a pretty cool souvenir in addition to some tattoos!

Maybe check out State of Grace and see if there is any prints it art available since I can't get a tattoo appointment.[/quote

• 2 months later...

Well I figured I would give an update on my trip and see what you all think.

Trip was a little bust from the get. My boy who I was staying with got a new boss weeks before my arrival. He revoked his vacation request for the day I arrived and the day after, Friday.

Thursday night was cool, took the BART at Fruitvale in to see the Warriors beat Chicago.

Friday I just rode around while my buddy worked. Not too exciting.

Woke up Saturday and headed in to Jose.

Stopped in at State of Grace. Scored a T-Shirt and 3 prints.

After that we headed over to New Generation and had the best tattoo experience I've ever had with the talented Khuong Ngyuen. This is what 6 hours gets you!

By the way I'm looking for suggestion for my next session in September. Yes September, oh so long away....anyway looking for ideas for her robe? Color scheme patterns etc.

post-6028-146168864268_thumb.jpg

Did you eat anywhere near State of Grace? I'm getting tattooed there in May, would like some recommendations since there are a lot of restaurants nearby and I've only been to one!

September isn't toooo far away! What a great start! Can't wait to see it finished!

Did you eat anywhere near State of Grace? I'm getting tattooed there in May, would like some recommendations since there are a lot of restaurants nearby and I've only been to one!

September isn't toooo far away! What a great start! Can't wait to see it finished!

If you like Hawaiian food go directly across the street to Hukilau and there is a good Korean place down the street called SJ Omogari Korean Restaurant .

• 4 weeks later...

Seems like the best place to put this question: I need advice about parking at Blackheart in SF. The night before my appt. I'm staying in Sacramento with friends after driving there from Seattle, so I'll be making the drive in the morning of the appt. I've never been in the city before (SF) and from what I can find it looks like street parking with meters.

Where I'm at you can not feed meters without getting a ticket, and I'm gonna be there for a few hours. I'm looking for the insider information here, from you guys who are spoiled to live in such a great tattoo city. Any tips on parking at Blackheart? Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...