Looking for reference - Buddhist rosary: Wristband tattoos: Mala

TaeTae

• 7 months later...
Bit of a long shot but I don't suppose anyone can get a better look at what is wrapped around the bottom of these sleeves? I love old school Japanese pictures.

3h0mq.png

Recognized this gentleman from the Perseverance book, tattoos by Yebis:

1507049_588876931189923_320550809_n.jpg?oh=c63f08144fc8ff4f8e04831b7de08dd0&oe=54C724D4&__gda__=1422559575_ab9a9c597ec3780b7dadff52e144de10

So I guess its not actually an "old school" photo. Also not that he is wearing real beads around his neck.

(slow day at work)

• 4 weeks later...

On a related note, does anyone have information regarding bonji around the wrists/forearm or neck? I've seen (as posted here) beads often depict bonji of a specific deity, presumably of the bearer's birth year Protector (Kokuzo Bosatsu for me). For the style where multiple bonji is depicted, is this traditionally a mantra specific to one's Buddhist Protector or is it actually bonji of all 8 Buddhist Protectors of the zodiac? I've been wanting to do something around my wrists to cap my sleeves and bonji is probably the strongest of a couple options I'm leaning towards. Any help would be appreciated. @hogg, you briefly mentioned your bonji at the convention. Any further insights? Thanks all!

@Lance I have bonji from Horimitsu of the 8 Buddhist bosatsu at the end of my 3/4 sleeves. For my right arm, I chose to highlight my birth year character in red ink (Fugen) while the remaining characters are in black. Fugen is also associated with my birth year zodiac sign, the year of the dragon which I also have on my right arm so that goes very well together.

On my left arm, I went with the same bosatsu but chose to highlight the Fudo character in red as he is the immovable one and I always love the look of the written bonji character.

13180891844_6a16bc6de7_o.jpg

My own personal research indicates that with multiple characters, it normally variations of the 8 bosatsu or just a few of the characters.

eto_chart_e.jpg

There are also mantra's that you mentioned. One I really like is the mantra of light from the Shingon school of Buddhism in Japan. Try this link for a little bit of research: The Mantra of Light

Also, do you have a specific artist in mind? A lot of the Japanese artists that I've encountered are very well versed in Buddhist imagery and might be able to make some recommendations. Some non-Japanese artists like Jondix, Yoni Zilber, etc who have studied the Buddhist religion may also be good choices. (Both Jondix and Kiku did separate bonji characters around Troy Denning's neck)

new-era-presents-tattoo-age-troy-denning-part-2.jpg?w=450

@Lance: the bonji on my wrist are the mantra for Amida Nyorai, since I was born in the year of the pig (or Hogg, if you will). I knew it was the mantra, but I didn't learn the meaning until recently, thanks to some research by Professor @taaarro (thanks again!).

I looked on the link that @ironchef posted above and found this: Akasagarbha - mantras and seed syllables, including the Morning Star Mantra It's the bonji mantra for Kokuzo Bosatsu, aka Ākāśagarbha. That would look great around your wrist. You could also get juzu beads with your seed bonji in the middle, like this excellent tattoo by Ichi Hatano:

10593405_1492581010992122_1795805844_n.jpg

(Aren't those on the woman we talked to at his booth at the convention?)

You could get the Fudo Myo-o bonji in a bead on the other wrist just because Fudo is awesome.

Thanks @ironchef and @hogg. I had previously seen the site below and it's good to see that it matches the information in the link you both provided me. I always need multiple sources. Internet trust issues, right? With bonji I just wasn't sure if there was a proper vs improper way. Seems like I could do either mantra or 8 bonji seeds, although I wish the morning star mantra had an english translation so I could understand it better.

As for an artist, this may be one of my few opportunities to get a little something from someone other than from Jill Bonny. The plan is she'll do my front. I'm not exactly sure who yet so that's my problem. Would hate to go in and ask for something that doesn't make sense. There are a couple choices and I have a tattoo itch. If I cave in I'm leaning towards Miyazo who's guesting in the relative LA area through November. Don't know if I can make that happen though post Convention splurge.

I'm still debating the Bonji bit or mini samurai armor menpo masks around my wrists. I like the idea of a Tengu half mask and other menpo wrapping. Bonji or Juzu beads are more classic looking though. Speaking of, I believe you're right Hogg, those beads by Ichi Hatano are on the woman at his booth. I think she's a tattooer in LA. I like that one and the one by Drew Flores. Simple with solid flat shading.

Kokuzo Bosatsu (Akasagarbha Bodhisattva) - Japanese Buddhist Deity of Wisdom and Memory

• 3 months later...

Resurrecting an old post but what does everyone think of the Mala/Rosemary beads to finish Japanese work?

I am debating if I should finish both my 3/4 sleeves with those beads (or something similar) or leave the sleeves as is.

I have already decided that if I do the beads on my sleeves than I will continue the theme on my chest.

I am in 2 minds about the beads. 1 mind thinks they are tacky and reduces the impact of 3/4 sleeves finishing where they do. However my other mind likes the idea and gives me just that bit more coverage. :)

I'd love to hear all of your thoughts.

Cheers

Jason.

I like the idea of something finishing the sleeve @Shaggy. What do you think makes them tacky? I like the more non traditional stuff, like how @ironchef capped off his sleeves.

Cork, maybe tacky was a bit too harsh a term to use. Initially when I started looking at the beads etc I wasn't a big fan and thought they looked just added on and not part of the original design but the more I start looking around and seeing good examples of them done, I am quickly starting to like the idea of adding them to my sleeves and starting to feel when done properly they almost finish off the sleeve. Once you do the beads might be hard to extend a 3/4 to full sleeve. :)

Got to love a 180 degree back flip on thinking.

I am not rushing into the idea and will keep looking as the back is the main concern at present however hopefully that won't be too long before it is finished.