Looking for reference - Buddhist rosary: Wristband tattoos: Mala

TaeTae

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any or could link me to some reference material for Japanese Buddhist rosary tattoos. Sometimes referred to as Mala beads.

I know there are a few different styles used in Japanese tattooing, but I am struggling to find a search that yields results. I have come across them before online and can't find them anymore.

Some can be plain colour and some can have Bonji in them.

I have plenty of reference for the neck Rosary like this

2645gza.jpg

If anyone has any material like the ones around the wrists, that would be great, thanks.

I think that Mike on Munewari Minutes discussed this a bit, and provided links: Munewari Minutes September 2011 posts. That's all I've got.

Thanks mate, interseting stuff. I also really like the small tattoo under the sleeve. My tattooist told me about this tradition, not many people are aware of it so it is quite rarely seen especially by western artists.

Here is mine

rvd8xg.jpg

23tqqnb.jpg

Now I am considering these type of roasary/beads.

My opinion probably shouldn't count for anything, but I think your sleeves already look great and "finished." Would adding a rosary create too many bands around one part of the arm? On the other hand, if you love the way they look, why not?

Thanks. You might be right. Maybe I'll just get the rosary around my neck. They also look good. :D

Your sleeves do look great and finished but I really don't think you should discount adding a rosary at all. Have you had a good look at actual antique Japanese rosaries for reference? They seem to be a set of two, as a general rul - one for the wrist and one for the neck, from what I've seen.

Also, there are a lot of photos of old, preserved tattooed skin floating about online - bound to be some good references to be found there too. After a quick google of the above there seems to be a tradition of a a 'bangle' or bangle looking something (sometimes kanji) as well as the tradition of flowers or rosaries.

Your sleeves do look great and finished but I really don't think you should discount adding a rosary at all. Have you had a good look at actual antique Japanese rosaries for reference? They seem to be a set of two, as a general rul - one for the wrist and one for the neck, from what I've seen.

Also, there are a lot of photos of old, preserved tattooed skin floating about online - bound to be some good references to be found there too. After a quick google of the above there seems to be a tradition of a a 'bangle' or bangle looking something (sometimes kanji) as well as the tradition of flowers or rosaries.

Thanks man. I will keep searching collecting reference. I'll ask my artist next time I'm at the shop, he knows his stuff when it comes to Japanese and I'm sure he has got some good books too.

A few more.

312ffba.jpg

52m88g.jpg

35d5nb4.jpg

This is my favourite. Chris Trevino is a machine.

Those Trevino skull beads are my favourite. I love those. When I was trying to figure out how far down my arms I was comfortable going, and what I would later get to extend the sleeve, something along those lines definitely came to mind. Then I realised that if I was already thinking of extending a 3/4-ish sleeve before I'd even started it that I should just suck up my hesitations and get it all the way to the wrist to begin with. The skull beads still totally rule though.

Bonji from Horitada (amazing artist with big bold beautiful work)

11308371885_3a41bdbf6c_o.jpg

Very beautiful. I was starting to think I was the only one who still loved simplistic traditional Japanese. Seems to be more love for this neo modern stuff. Don't get me wrong I can appreciate the skill of people like Shige ect, but it just don't look right to me.

Mini rant over :p

Very beautiful. I was starting to think I was the only one who still loved simplistic traditional Japanese. Seems to be more love for this neo modern stuff. Don't get me wrong I can appreciate the skill of people like Shige ect, but it just don't look right to me.

Mini rant over :p

I'm in the same boat as you. I love the works of Shige and Gogue, but I prefer the traditional look. Add to that I used to think I wanted pieces with super details but I've come to realize while small details may be nice, big and bold leaves such an enduring image.

I'm in the same boat as you. I love the works of Shige and Gogue, but I prefer the traditional look. Add to that I used to think I wanted pieces with super details but I've come to realize while small details may be nice, big and bold leaves such an enduring image.

100% agree. I love my Japanese very simple with plenty of black.

If the image is a Koi, then it should be with more Koi. Almost makes me cry when I see a dragon, a tiger, a mask flowers all crammed into one sleeve. Maybe an extreme example, but you do it see it.

I always find myself looking through Horitoshi 1 and Hori Kyo facebook pages. Something so majestic about it.

It would be interested to see a piece by Gogue, Shige or an artist of similar style after 20 years. I'm not sure how such intricate designs will hold up.

100% agree. I love my Japanese very simple with plenty of black.

If the image is a Koi, then it should be with more Koi. Almost makes me cry when I see a dragon, a tiger, a mask flowers all crammed into one sleeve. Maybe an extreme example, but you do it see it.

I always find myself looking through Horitoshi 1 and Hori Kyo facebook pages. Something so majestic about it.

It would be interested to see a piece by Gogue, Shige or an artist of similar style after 20 years. I'm not sure how such intricate designs will hold up.

I've been leaning towards bonji to ring around my 3/4 sleeves like above but seeing some interesting concepts in this thread has me thinking of some other ideas.

I've been leaning towards bonji to ring around my 3/4 sleeves like above but seeing some interesting concepts in this thread has me thinking of some other ideas.

Yeah, there's a few options. Don't think you could go wrong with the Bonji though.

- - - Updated - - -

Believe it or not, these beautiful beads (and the butterfly) were done by Stuart Cripwell a few years back. Not his usual style!

I really love the positioning of the beads. Compliments the chest panels perfectly.