Question for customers! Portfolios...

aaronkicks

Your in such a hurry to be a White Knight on these boards that your reading comprehension has failed you again. I am talking about one individual whose choice in selecting a artist is at the very least questionable. So go take you "White Knight" schtick elsewhere.

Can you please tell me how to fix my obviously failing reading comprehension because I somehow didn't manage to understand that you meant one specific individual when you wrote that you find it "incredulous that most girls obsess over their hairdressers/nail salons to the point of following them like groupies from shop to shop, have their phone # in their phones and damn sure know to ask for "Ramon's" next available day. I bet you they'll drop hundreds on a Louis-Vuitton bag but will squawk of the same for a Theresa Sharpe piece."

Go fuck yourself, mouthbreather.

I find this sweeping generalisation of women offensive. The ladies on this forum are incredibly passionate and well learned about their tattoos. If you want to alienate these fantastic women, then please continue making ignorant remarks like this.
Can you please tell me how to fix my obviously failing reading comprehension because I somehow didn't manage to understand that you meant one specific individual when you wrote that you find it "incredulous that most girls obsess over their hairdressers/nail salons to the point of following them like groupies from shop to shop, have their phone # in their phones and damn sure know to ask for "Ramon's" next available day. I bet you they'll drop hundreds on a Louis-Vuitton bag but will squawk of the same for a Theresa Sharpe piece."

Go fuck yourself, mouthbreather.

OK, I think that I can defend this? Please don't hate immediately.

I think what is being referred to is not about the women on this board that are enthusiasts among enthusiasts and will search out great artists for remarkable work. He is referring to the people this stereotype/ joke is about. (insert image)

It is tough to deny that there is a certain person out there (let's take a man now for example) that can spout off details about his car to the engine code, hair gel by brand and style, jeans by cut and maker, shoe, sunglasses, teeth whitener (lol) etc. but then gets a random house/ garage tattoo of some bad ass thing he saw by a totally talented dude who a sick deal bro.

maybe this comparison will help?

now i get executed?

ah, why judge her anyway? She booked an appointment not knowing the artist. So what? It's her skin.

I think the wording problem was "most girls". Dunno. Don't really care. I would never buy a Louis Vuitton bag OR book an appointment in that manner, but I try not to judge others either. It is inconsequential.

The description of the stereotypical woman getting tattooed is pretty contemptuous

isn't that inherently the point? There is a contempt for the stereotype. I have read about the hatred of the pinterest tattoo pages on this site, and how it is usually a feather, a flock or birds, or upside down script that meets this hate. I think the reaction right now is emotionally charged to the idea that "they" are being painted in such a way, but I don't believe that was the case or intent.

who knows maybe my radar is waaaay off this evening

EDIT: I also feel its application holds weight (a strong example would be the TYPICAL BMW driver in the long island area for those that live near me)

My understanding is that people here were more irritated by those images because they go against a lot of the principles (maybe a bad word, but not sure what else to use) of good tattooing. And yeah, the herd mentality thing, which sadly knows no gender.

Anyway, I'm totally not interested in fighting on the internet about this, so I'm happy to leave it here. Unless we want to make fun of BMW drivers ; I'm always up for that.

I know a few women who are into stereotypically "girly girl" stuff like nice handbags, clothes, shoes, nails, etc., who also get amazing tattoos. I also know women who are into those same kinds of things, but aren't into tattoos, but are still really fucking smart, awesome women. And whatever, I also know a lot of people who are super rad for thousands of different reasons and they have crappy tattoos. Judging people because of their tattoos, the things they're into, their outward appearances, etc., is for idiots.

The reason why people get bothered when threads take this kind of turn is that it dumbs down the board and distracts us from what should be the main point of this forum which is about getting and having conversations about getting awesome tattoos.

My understanding is that people here were more irritated by those images because they go against a lot of the principles (maybe a bad word, but not sure what else to use) of good tattooing.

Fair point to agree upon, and it's not a bad word

If there's one LST newcomer poster that I hate, it's the one who pontificates about tattooing while never reading any of the most important threads and posts. That guy is a dick, and I really think they just don't give a shit about keeping this forum true to its original intent, which is discussion of, as @Graeme put it, getting good tattoos. It's fucking simple, people.

If there's one LST newcomer poster that I hate, it's the one who pontificates about tattooing while never reading any of the most important threads and posts. That guy is a dick, and I really think they just don't give a shit about keeping this forum true to its original intent, which is discussion of, as @Graeme put it, getting good tattoos. It's fucking simple, people.

And who pontificates more than, you know, actually getting tattoos...

..... I'm saying this because I'm at a loss for the direction I want my work to go. I'm in a small town with an overabundance of awful tattoo artists who boast "custom" and "amazing" work but it's all shit. Usually I just do butterflies, tribal, and gnarly new skool pieces all day long but my portfolio is filled with only traditional style tattoos and portraits. Most of these being on my closest friends. So with that being said I want to keep the customer and collector in mind for once and not peers. What is it that you would rather see? A wide variety? Or just the style I prefer the most? This question can apply to anyone its just a thought I've been having.

I am new to tattoos. From my perspective, I like artist portfolios to show a wide variety of tattoos and styles, as long as they are willing to do them. If you only want to do a certain style, then just show that style. If you are willing to do styles outside your preference, then show it as long as it's quality work. If you have quality work, but bad pictures, don't show them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

i'm still new to the tattoo world.. but after honestly months and months of analyzing portfolios... aside from the typical answers like clean lines and such.. i like to see how the artist works on pieces that is outside of his comfort zone. i chose my artist because he's amazing in not only say realism.. but in asian style and abstract and i have yet to see work of his that i feel looks "ugly" outside the scope of the drawing idea.

... i like to see how the artist works on pieces that is outside of his comfort zone...

I like the theory, but I prefer to choose an artist with a style that matches what I want. I would be nervous having an artist do work on me if they were out of their comfort zone.

Luckily I live in an area with a lot of talented artists covering many different styles.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Cloudkicker, in that seeing varying styles of an artist's work shows that they have good drawing skills, just because someone has practiced drawing dragons over and over again does not necessarily mean that they have rendering and anatomy skills. Its comforting to know that the artist is competent in all aspects, and still get them to draw in the style they are most comfortable with

Variety would definitely be best. I'd imagine most people digging through portfolios are gonna end up with more than one tattoo, so it only makes sense to try and reach as many of those people as possible. Plus, it lets you keep trying out new stuff instead of doing butterfly's all day. :p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I work in a busy half custom half walk in heavy shop.

What about making 2 portfolios, one for the work you like to do, shows your strengths, and can push for more cooler pieces,

and one for the regular customers?

I would put lettering, infinity symbols, feathers..all the "popular" walk in stuff. This can also help with the constant "can you do this" (shows phone image on pinterest)

I think if my tattoo artists had their portfolios set up like that, I'd run in the other direction @Lou Morgue! Then again, I've been going for custom stuff so there ya go, I'm getting what I want from the portfolio. I like Smith Street's set-up - if it ain't on the wall, then you don't need it (or something similar to that.)

• 2 weeks later...

What I meant by my post was that I have a portfolio filled with insane color pieces big and small, as well as solid black and grey work. I get customers all of the time asking "can you do this?" (shows feather, symbol, lettering on Pinterest on their phone)

Imaging the frustration. Yes, I can do that you are in good hands.

A separate portfolio would be for those asking "what kind of custom, color ect, or what kind of tattoos do you love to do" that's really it.

The separate lettering portfolio I suggested to on of my fellow artists who did INCREDIBLE custom lettering but constantly encountered people wanting a font they found online. I told him to put examples of his custom lettering to show people what other options were out there.

This thread is especially germane to me. I am finishing up a sleeve and starting to think about another for the other arm. I want to have the work done by another artist (nothing against my current artist, I just want a variety of work) and want to be able to see a good cross section of work. I think that some people may be selling themselves short due to bad lighting, poor angles, small resolution, etc in their photographs. The variety of work doesn't concern me as much as the quality of it. I know that everyone is going to put up their best stuff (who gives an employer a bad work reference) but I personally want to see custom, flash, one piece, large pieces, etc. I would also like to see some sketches to see how they draw. Ultimately, I will choose based on a consult or email conversations but I have to be enticed to have that conversation.