Well, I'm on track now for Phase I of my upcoming backpiece.

Reconnected with a local tattooer who did my first tattoo 10 years ago (as well as a rib piece and a sleeve). He was enthusiastic about taking on a backpiece project for me next winter and we've planted the seed. Will be getting traced out soon. Saved up money for the first 2 sessions. Starting laser hair removal next week. I know - gross - but I figure I gotta get the back bush whacked if I'm going to commit to a backpiece. Is this a normal thing? Give me a break, I'm half Sicilian!

Updates in 2014 haha!

Starting laser hair removal next week. I know - gross - but I figure I gotta get the back bush whacked if I'm going to commit to a backpiece. Is this a normal thing?

I did the laser thing before mine. I'm not particularly hairy, but I was planning for a Buddha back piece (ended up changing that) and didn't want him to sport a five o'clock shadow. Multiple laser sessions should be spaced out by six weeks or thereabouts because of hair growth cycles, so plan accordingly.

@ironchef That looks incredible! Is there going to be any background between the dragon and phoenix, or leaving that open?

Yes, there will be background in that space. Rubendall did all the background on the lower half of the back piece with the dragon. Henning will fill in the upper portion of my back with clouds and wind. Slowly by surely... :)

Yes, there will be background in that space. Rubendall did all the background on the lower half of the back piece with the dragon. Henning will fill in the upper portion of my back with clouds and wind. Slowly by surely... :)

Oh man, didn't realize this was the collaborative back piece! That's awesome, now I'm even more excited to see the future progress.

Updated full back progress pic. Pretty much healed up from my last session. Will be seeing Rubendall again in May to finish shading the back of my left thigh. Probably start some color too!

8630287730_94f1d3634c_b.jpg

My mind is blown. good job Sir. I have that combo as my left and right sleeves. It's times like this though when I wish cloning oneself was possible so I could get multiple back pieces each with a new subject inspired by art, stories or what I see here.

Starting my back (from top of shoulders to the bottom of my ass) with Chad Woodley from Sanitary Electric in June. He's doing a black & grey Fudo and it's going to be bad ass.

Super excited about it to say the least.

Nice! How is Vancouver treating you, by the way?

Nice! How is Vancouver treating you, by the way?

Oh man! It's so great! Thanks for asking, @Graeme!

It's so beautiful and it's such a pleasure to be able to ride my bike every day due to the lack of snow.

It's definitely a much more expensive city than Montreal, but I'm really loving it so far.

You should come out and visit some time!

Oh man! It's so great! Thanks for asking, @Graeme!

It's so beautiful and it's such a pleasure to be able to ride my bike every day due to the lack of snow.

It's definitely a much more expensive city than Montreal, but I'm really loving it so far.

You should come out and visit some time!

My family lives out there so I'm there around once a year, probably be back next around Christmas.