Obviously I'm also drawn more to the 'simple' design, a more 'new school' very detailed design can be very cool from close-by, but imho a japanese suite should have the 'wow' factor from across the room, not from 30cm away.

And what doesn't work with a samurai, a dragon and a ho-o?! You can put just about anything on your torso :) (but perhaps that part of the problem, soooo much to choose from :) )

For myself i'm still not sure about what to do with the torso, if i should continue with a munewari style front, with maybe something like a Kirin and a Baku on either side (perhaps going down onto my legs), or something like a yurei and a baku or something, or just do the whole front with one big piece

I'm a big fan of the Kirin and Baku combination since I have it myself. One on each thigh and they look cool. They're sort of eyeballing each other and that simple touch ties them together quite nicely rather than being totally separate pieces.

but perhaps that part of the problem, soooo much to choose from :)

Ha! I guess that’s part of the problem. There ARE so many options. Let’s not even start my munewari vs. chest piece/torso decision process. My back piece is of a historical Warlord from the 1500s. I once remarked to Jill Bonny, the artist I go to, that if I had chosen a specific mythological story, it would have been easy to figure out what else could work to pair with it. Got “Benkei” on my back, then “Yoshitsune” would be a natural pairing on the front, right? She in turn pointed out that by not doing so I actually freed myself to pick pretty much from everything.

I did talk with Jill though. I originally wanted *2 other specific samurai , munewari style, since the figure on my back is popularly known as the first of a trio who consolidated the lands under 1 rule. She didn’t dig it. She likes the image of Nobunaga to stand strong on its own, rather than have other samurai dilute it. Makes sense but I still have that idea stuck in my head to some degree.

She mentioned I did have a theme going for me. I have water elements on my lower body, and as you move up transitions to earth, then air elements. Also I have a “real life” theme going on with the back portion of my body. I have a koi on the back of my right leg. Namakubi on my back thighs and bum, and Oda Nobunaga on my back. She also pointed out I have “mythological” stuff on my arms so why not have the back/ back legs have “real” things and arms/torso have mythical things.

With that I’ve thought perhaps tengu as it relates to warrior aspects that play off the back piece although there is no direct story link between tengu and nobunaga like there is with Yoshitsune and tengu. I’m being too anal about that. Or tennyo to completely disassociate and contrast things like the real vs mythical and brutal warrior vs heavenly messenger. I do already have yin yang monmon cats on my feet, and dragons and ho-o are yin yang-ish pairings as well. There’s Fujin/Raijin as a potential too. Or there are Buddhist deities/Myo-o figures. Shinto ones too. I’m neither Buddhist nor Shinto so I'm not intimately familiar with subjects from that source. I’ve been thinking mainly in terms of finding stories to depict or guardians/deities or human-like figure oni types. Hannya may actually work, not the mask, but the creature. Perhaps creatures like a baku will work too if I can't find a 2 legged subject.

Thanks for the suggestions @DevilMan & @misterJ. Anyone else, keep ‘em coming as I know I think too much and am being too anal about wanting things to relate. Or PM me since I don’t want to de-rail things too much. I am grateful though. I’d like to get this dang thing started by Fall, but if I can’t decide I’ll wait. No use rushing. Thanks again.

Ha! I guess that’s part of the problem. There ARE so many options. Let’s not even start my munewari vs. chest piece/torso decision process. My back piece is of a historical Warlord from the 1500s. I once remarked to Jill Bonny, the artist I go to, that if I had chosen a specific mythological story, it would have been easy to figure out what else could work to pair with it. Got “Benkei” on my back, then “Yoshitsune” would be a natural pairing on the front, right? She in turn pointed out that by not doing so I actually freed myself to pick pretty much from everything.

I did talk with Jill though. I originally wanted *2 other specific samurai , munewari style, since the figure on my back is popularly known as the first of a trio who consolidated the lands under 1 rule. She didn’t dig it. She likes the image of Nobunaga to stand strong on its own, rather than have other samurai dilute it. Makes sense but I still have that idea stuck in my head to some degree.

She mentioned I did have a theme going for me. I have water elements on my lower body, and as you move up transitions to earth, then air elements. Also I have a “real life” theme going on with the back portion of my body. I have a koi on the back of my right leg. Namakubi on my back thighs and bum, and Oda Nobunaga on my back. She also pointed out I have “mythological” stuff on my arms so why not have the back/ back legs have “real” things and arms/torso have mythical things.

With that I’ve thought perhaps tengu as it relates to warrior aspects that play off the back piece although there is no direct story link between tengu and nobunaga like there is with Yoshitsune and tengu. I’m being too anal about that. Or tennyo to completely disassociate and contrast things like the real vs mythical and brutal warrior vs heavenly messenger. I do already have yin yang monmon cats on my feet, and dragons and ho-o are yin yang-ish pairings as well. There’s Fujin/Raijin as a potential too. Or there are Buddhist deities/Myo-o figures. Shinto ones too. I’m neither Buddhist nor Shinto so I'm not intimately familiar with subjects from that source. I’ve been thinking mainly in terms of finding stories to depict or guardians/deities or human-like figure oni types. Hannya may actually work, not the mask, but the creature. Perhaps creatures like a baku will work too if I can't find a 2 legged subject.

Thanks for the suggestions @DevilMan & @misterJ. Anyone else, keep ‘em coming as I know I think too much and am being too anal about wanting things to relate. Or PM me since I don’t want to de-rail things too much. I am grateful though. I’d like to get this dang thing started by Fall, but if I can’t decide I’ll wait. No use rushing. Thanks again.

I think the baku is a great idea! :D

after the discussion about torso subjects I've been searching around. holy moly... just discovered the eye of atrocity and night parade of dead souls... I've never considered a ghost tattoo before, but some of these are wild. Might at least provide inspiration for the namakubi I want.

The page with the warrior ripping the skin off another mans face.... wowzers, that is no joke. I have much to learn

Yeah absolutely. Complete background from collar to the back of the knees. So as you say a long way to go but now that it's started I am very excited to continue and see how it develops. Next session is in mid July. I will be counting down the days and trying to find plenty of mirrors in the mean time so I can remind myself that it's really there.

Alright, luckily we got started late and could only do 5 hours. That was enough. I made the mistake of going in on Sunday for a deep tissue massage. That made everything extra tender and sensitive for Tuesday. Never get a massage before a tattoo. Just don't do it.

This session covered hair, robes, wind bar/cloud touch-ups, adding orange to the fire. Also a healed butt shot. From Instagram danahelmuth; (Damn, looking at my butt up close, look at that scar tissue on the red in the snake! He beat me up.)

10483535_1448845958707715_2010025307_n.jpg

10513870_306790856166298_409178361_n.jpg

@Cork LOVE all of this but that snake RULES!!!

Yeah man, I knew I needed a snake from Dana since the very beginning.

"Butt" that snake RULES!!!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Juvenile humor.

Seriously awesome back. Feels only like yesterday when you first began posting the start of it. So much progress made @Cork.

Everyone loves a good butt joke. Thanks, Lance, it's been a great ride so far. I'm not sure it will be done in time to win at the Pagoda City back piece contest, haha. Although, fundoshi is still mandatory @MikeL

@Cork as you know back is looking strong as hell! Won't hear no but jokes from me because I am in the same boat. I will say that you will enjoy when Dana colors in those flames...right of passage we all have to go through :)

Really...still mandatory! Might hit a few conventions in the fall. I will post a pick up here later.

Mike

Edited by MikeL

Way too good, @Cork. You really don't deserve it.

Not sure if I should be bothered by this more than the fact that people are "liking" it. You got me.

@Cork as you know back is looking strong as hell! Won't hear no but jokes from me because I am in the same boat. I will say that you will enjoy when Dana colors in those flames...right of passage we all have to go through :)

Really...still mandatory! Might hit a few conventions in the fall. I will post a pick up here later.

Mike

Ha ok, maybe just a banana hammock if you're more comfortable in that.

Today a little bit of everything has been done (in just 2 hours), red in the arrow, the glove, the shoe, the nails of the fox, even more red in the man's face etc.

Next time we have some small things to do (which we couldn't do today because it's in parts that were not fully healed from the previous session, and to tidy everything up.

I talked to my artist about the 'blank' part in the fox, and aked if he was planning on keeping it this way (as i think it looks a bit 'unfinished') but he gave me a firm 'yes' so I guess that's how it will stay :)

IMG_8092_zps82db04ff.jpg

Finished up session #4 got a solid 2:30 hours in today.

I've crossed that line where my goal is to not move, sit still, and take 0 breaks that way he gets to make the most progress possible. I feel like 1 and a half more solid sessions and background is done. We discussed extending the piece officially to thighs and the consensus is finish this first.

Honestly my excitement is far outweighing The pain

Not sure if I should be bothered by this more than the fact that people are "liking" it. You got me.

Ha ok, maybe just a banana hammock if you're more comfortable in that.

Maybe we can see which shows will be in the fall...we both should be finished by then.

Mike

I talked to my artist about the 'blank' part in the fox, and aked if he was planning on keeping it this way (as i think it looks a bit 'unfinished') but he gave me a firm 'yes' so I guess that's how it will stay :)
image_thumb.jpg

@DevilMan - until you pointed out the foxes belly was left undone I didn't notice. I think It looks really good so no worries

@MikeL - damn. just damn. Your back is way too good.