OK so I tried to put this post up about three days ago but whilst I was doing it a power line nearby got struck by lightning and we lost power for a while. So that was the end of that. Now that we have power again and I have a bit of time I will try again.

I had the fourth session on my back last Monday. I was hoping it would be the last session of outlining but that went straight out the window when Ian started the session by asking me "How do you feel about Tibetan skulls?" Luckily enough I think they are cool and the design that Ian had drawn up was pretty killer so we went for it. The result is that I now have a Tibetan skull on my my ass cheek and the back of my leg. I love it and am very happy to have it on there and we definitely have only one session of outline left. So after 12 hours of work so far my back looks like this. I have included a close up of the skull as well.

This is such a brilliant thread, definitely one of my favourites. I'm thinking about a back piece myself. Unfortunately the tattoo fund was well and truly emptied at the London Tattoo Convention this year. My plan is to become a hermit for the next 6 months or so and save as much as I can, so hopefully I can start thinking about making plans mid way through 2015.

Does anyone have any advice about the best way to go about getting the ball rolling with a back piece?

Is it better to speak to your tattooer well in advance about possible ideas? I have two tattoos on my lower back, both roughly palm size, which may throw a spanner in the works - I didn't want to get 6 months down the line with a certain idea in my head only to find it's totally not do-able. At the same time I know how valuable a tattooer's time is and I don't want to stroll in and start pestering him about a back piece that could be at least 6 months away if not more?

What do you guys think?

@rads

The best way to start this process is with honesty. That way you're not canceling appointments left and right and wasting time on both ends.

Have a rough idea of an image/theme/ style, and talk about the work you currently have.

In reality that's all I did. I walked into the shop with my crazy idea and put down a deposit. Then showed up for the consult and first outline. i made sure to meet all appointments to show I was serious about the process and next thing you know you're over 20 hours in.

I've been told many people walk in with ideas for big pieces but never go past that first talking stage. Make sure to go beyond that first step

You can do it, and when it sucks this thread supports us all

@MrToby looking good great to see some more progress.

@rads, why not go in and see your artist now and start getting some ideas going on. Gives both you and the artist some time to think about it. If you are serious about doing a backpiece, I doubt the artist will see it as a waste of time.

Most importantly I would chat about the existing work on your back. If you deciede it needs to go you can start on laser removal now and be ready to start the back.

I had quite large pieces lightened on my back prior and I started the lasering well before we started my back. Now even I struggle to see any traces of them. :)

As for doing the back it is a long process but they outcome is amazing. I still have along way to go on mine but after every session I cant wait till the next to get more work done.

@Shaggy @Iwar thanks very much for the kind comments. All of those lines together weren't actually all that bad. I prefer it when it's just one area that is worked on since it all seems to just go numb and I can zone out from it. There was one moment when Ian asked me whether I had fallen asleep because he thought I was snoring. I could only respond by saying that it wasn't quite that relaxing. But it honestly wasn't all that bad. Except the bits around the tail bone that he did right at the end. Those bits feel like being scratched with massive thorns. Not so pleasant all in all at that point.

@Vinn - Awesome! Congratulations on a huge milestone. I am looking forward to saying the same thing - looking all that healing in the rear view mirror! While the whole thing is just great, I love that blue rose - my eye just goes right to it. Beautiful color and placement. Congrats again!

image_443821_thumb.jpg

Finally finished. Ever since my first "off the wall" flash tattoo in 1989, I have always dreamed of a full back tattoo. It was a year long experience that I'll never forget. I'm happy it's done and really happy I won't be in a constant state of healing anymore!

That is one hell of a powerful piece dude, congratulations! Sorry if I missed it from one of your other posts, but who is the artist?

@Vinn - Awesome! Congratulations on a huge milestone. I am looking forward to saying the same thing - looking all that healing in the rear view mirror! While the whole thing is just great' date=' I love that blue rose - my eye just goes right to it. Beautiful color and placement. Congrats again![/quote']

Thanks so much! You'll be very pleased when your done, everything becomes normal again, no more sleeping in funky positions.

That is one hell of a powerful piece dude' date=' congratulations! Sorry if I missed it from one of your other posts, but who is the artist?[/quote']

Thanks! It was done by Tim McCarthy at Tsunami Tattoo in Tacoma WA. I went in and said I wanted a big skull and snake, he did the rest. He had total freedom in the design. It made it fun for both of us.

Thanks! It was done by Tim McCarthy at Tsunami Tattoo in Tacoma WA. I went in and said I wanted a big skull and snake, he did the rest. He had total freedom in the design. It made it fun for both of us.

That's awesome @Vinn ! A good chunk of my work so far has been done at the House of Tattoo off of 6th in Tacoma. I'll have to make a point to stop by Tsunami here soon to check out the shop :)

That looks really good, but I have a question. Why is he called Hoichi the Earless when that dude most definitely has both ears?

Hoichi has his ears ripped off at the end of the story. This piece depicts the part if the story where Hoichi is playing in the cemetery surrounded by onibi.

If you're interested the full story is here The Story Of Mimi-Nashi-Hoichi

The story is also told in the film Kwaidan

@Kinglambert @DeathB4Decaf I am very thankful that the lines are almost done. The fact that it is just 3 hours once a month has made it much more manageable. If the sessions had been closer together or significantly longer than they have been then it would have made the whole process a lot worse. As it is with the 3 hour sessions I have been able to zone out pretty well for large parts of it and the month between sessions is just long enough that I can forget how it feels.