@Shaggy @misterJ, Thanks for taking the time to offer some advice, it's much appreciated :-)

I'm planning on mentioning a back piece next time I'm getting tattooed and take it from there. I don't want to be a customer that messes people around so want to make sure I can commit to regular sessions etc

Hopefully this time next year I might be posting some progress shots

Thanks again for the advice :-)

@MrToby God bless our natural ability to forget with time

Isn't it just the greatest thing in the world. I think if everyone remembered exactly how much certain parts of the process suck then a lot of people would have a lot less tattoos, and people can debate the virtues of that as much as they want. I just know I am thankful that my memory of the experience is not perfect. The joy of getting to watch a big piece, or in fact any piece, developing from idea to finished article is great.

Hoichi has his ears ripped off at the end of the story. This piece depicts the part if the story where Hoichi is playing in the cemetery surrounded by onibi.

If you're interested the full story is here The Story Of Mimi-Nashi-Hoichi

The story is also told in the film Kwaidan

Great start to the tattoo, and I really enjoyed reading the story too. Thanks for sharing both.

@Shaggy @misterJ, Thanks for taking the time to offer some advice, it's much appreciated :-)

I'm planning on mentioning a back piece next time I'm getting tattooed and take it from there. I don't want to be a customer that messes people around so want to make sure I can commit to regular sessions etc

Hopefully this time next year I might be posting some progress shots

Thanks again for the advice :-)

@rads,

Glad to offer the advice. :) If nothing else take from my advice, if you plan to have your current work removed. Get it started before you start your back. I wont bore you with the time frame of my backpiece but once or twice my ongoing removal of old pieces on my back got in the way of new work. Plus tattooing over relatively new lasered works hurts just that little bit more.

My suggestion is if you want your old work removed, get it done now. Give your skin a few months to recover and then start that backpiece. :)

Cheers Jason.

Well I haven't posted in forever but I've been following along, anyway, started my back on the weekend, didn't finish the outline but after 7 hours I had to call it quits, Im pretty embarrassed I had to tap out. Anyway, Done by Scott Duncan at Sugar Shack Tattoo in Kincardine

What an awesome start, @Mush. No shame in tapping out. Scott's work is amazing and I hope you post more of it in the future. Small world, but I'm starting my back piece with Scott in December.

@Graeme Thanks dude! super stoked on it. I just thought I would be able to power through and finish the outline, we both thought it was doable, but afterward he mentioned maybe it was a bit too ambitions of us. My embarrassment is because I've never had to stop, or quit in the middle of something before, tattoo or non tattoo related, always seem to find a way to push through. maybe I'm just getting old

- - - Updated - - -

What an awesome start, @Mush. No shame in tapping out. Scott's work is amazing and I hope you post more of it in the future. Small world, but I'm starting my back piece with Scott in December.

That's awesome! what are you getting? Im headed back nov to finish the outline and again Dec 12

@Mush I go in Dec 6th to start. I'm starting a shoulders to knees full coverage back that's all Canuck inspired. A samurai looking log driver is the main focus, ha. Hard to explain, but had my last consult last weekend (still have some sharpie on my ass) and I love it.

Are you from out that way? I'm so not looking forward to the brutal winter drives out there (if last winter is any indication of this winter).

@Mush I go in Dec 6th to start. I'm starting a shoulders to knees full coverage back that's all Canuck inspired. A samurai looking log driver is the main focus, ha. Hard to explain, but had my last consult last weekend (still have some sharpie on my ass) and I love it.

Are you from out that way? I'm so not looking forward to the brutal winter drives out there (if last winter is any indication of this winter).

Scott brought out your drawing and we were talking about it, it looks awesome! such a cool idea. I actually asked him when you were starting because I wanted to try and stop in and see, but I'll be on a trip when you start. Look forward to seeing some pictures. I actually live in London so its not that bad of a trip for me, just under 2 hours.

@Cork - Thanks dude!

Well I haven't posted in forever but I've been following along, anyway, started my back on the weekend, didn't finish the outline but after 7 hours I had to call it quits, Im pretty embarrassed I had to tap out. Anyway, Done by Scott Duncan at Sugar Shack Tattoo in Kincardine

Looks great!

Those look like Kore Flatmo sleeves too if I'm not mistaken!

Scott brought out your drawing and we were talking about it, it looks awesome! such a cool idea. I actually asked him when you were starting because I wanted to try and stop in and see, but I'll be on a trip when you start. Look forward to seeing some pictures. I actually live in London so its not that bad of a trip for me, just under 2 hours.

I'm sure we will cross paths at some time as we will both be at the shop an awful lot, ha. I live only about 2.5hrs (on a good day), so hopefully it's not that bad in the winter. Best of luck with your back, I hope you keep posting photos.

@Mush

I have to agree 7 hours being tattooed is nothing to embarrassed about.

7 hours being tattooed constantly is a big effort.

I have done a few 6 hour sessions on my work and that is more than enough even with a 1 hour break for lunch between the 2 x 3 hour sessions.

Next week I have a 6 hour session on my backpiece and trust me I am not looking forward to it. :)

The thing about back pieces is they take a F**king long time.

But once done they are a thing of beauty.

Cheers Jason.

True true true. But I think I'm going to take a break for a couple months. The constant sessions are wearing me down.

I know the feeling. My artist has been on holidays so I have enjoyed a month off of no tattooing. Almost forgot what it was like not having to deal with constant healing and shitty nights of little sleep.

I often think about taking a few months off but then stupid me keeps booking the appointments.

Over Christmas I am having a 5 week break from tattooing so will be looking forward to that, might be able to actually spend some time at the beach.

My thoughts now are just get it done and then i can enjoy the art and the freedom of no healing and maybe more importantly not spending most of my "spare money" on fortnightly tattoo sessions.

However even before I have finished my back I am thinking about designs for the next spot so who knows when I will be off this roller coaster ride. :)