• 3 weeks later...

You guys all amaze me with the first session(s) of lining your entire back. My back was not lined. My first session was the size of a saucer or small dinner plate, and nearly every session after that has just been moving that dinner plate all around to different locations and chipping away at it session by session session.

You have my awe sitting through that. And, for the whole searing ass part.

You guys all amaze me with the first session(s) of lining your entire back. My back was not lined. My first session was the size of a saucer or small dinner plate, and nearly every session after that has just been moving that dinner plate all around to different locations and chipping away at it session by session session.

Oh it gets better than that. I was just informed by my artist on Saturday (prefaced with a "I don't want to scare you, but...") that when we're done my back we're going to have an extra full day session to reline it. Now that I've been through it once, I think full day lining sessions are only a thing because the client really doesn't know any better at that point. I felt like I'd been hit by a cement mixer after the first one, no idea how I'm going to get through the second. The answer may be alcohol.

@Graeme - ooooooo noooo, and LOL! The re-lining makes sense I suppose. My last session will be a lot of relining anything lined, then more saturation for details and whites and the like. Seems like they want to put all the finishing touches on that one last session, regardless of what it does to the poor "canvas." Hopefully the impending joy and awesomeness of finishing your tattoo will help carry you though the pain. I think I will be so excited, and like a girl, I will likely shed a few tears. This time in joy, heh heh.

I'm extremely glad i didn't go for the whole ass coverage. The top part was bad enough so i can't imagine what it feels like further down.

With regard to sitting for longer sessions, the travelling side of things was a form of motivation for me - i got on the train in Oslo at 08:00 GMT this morning and one bus ride, one flight and a drive later arrived home at 17:00. If i can tough out longer sessions and reduce those kind of trips by 1 that'll probably be a good thing (although i wouldn't exactly be devastated to get a chance to see Oslo once more!).

Edit: Oh, and i had some pretty decent painkillers that might have helped a bit, although i can't be sure. I'm gonna take them again next time either way!

@Graeme i winced at the thought of having to repeat the lining! I feel for you

Re-lining is a thing? Rethinking whether this is something I can ever do....

I had some parts of my sleeve relined at the end. There was nothing wrong with those lines prior to them being relined but the second pass did make them pop a little more even after they were settled in. But that is the arm.

But yeah, it can be a thing depending on how the artist works. I wouldn't let it frighten you off getting a backpiece though. They're a considerable investment in time, pain, and money, but, in my opinion, there is nothing in tattooing as impressive as a well-done backpiece so it's worth it.

I'm not going to be so brave when it's going down.

"People always act surprised when I tell them I need to go over the lines again."

It was explained to me that depending on how long it takes to get yours done, the lines will look more aged than the rest by the end. Maybe that seems obvious to some, but it wasn't something I considered. I'm not the artist. Really it's not so bad the second time around. You'll be fine, although beer did help.

I had to have some of my back re-lined, including all the area that had originally been lasered. Apparently even 4-6 months after the final treatments some of the new ink continues to disperse.

On the other hand, it didn't bother me at all. I'd rather have lining any day instead of shading . . .

I had to have some of my back re-lined, including all the area that had originally been lasered. Apparently even 4-6 months after the final treatments some of the new ink continues to disperse.

On the other hand, it didn't bother me at all. I'd rather have lining any day instead of shading . . .

you're a wild man, I HATE lines, its the most painful thing I have ever experienced. I would take 6 hours of shading over 20 minutes of lines anyday.

My hat is off to you, sir.

you're a wild man, I HATE lines, its the most painful thing I have ever experienced. I would take 6 hours of shading over 20 minutes of lines anyday.

My hat is off to you, sir.

Yeah, i can't believe anyone can find shading worse than lining! All i could think through my back being lined was "the shading is going to feel almost nice after dealing with this". I've got a relatively small amount of single needle stuff left to sit through and i'm dreading that way more than the several hours of shading.

I'm another one who prefers lining to shading, I'm afraid. I find it really quite soothing, shading sets my teeth on edge. Lining my stomach was intense but doable, the wee bit of shading there was time for was horrible. Am really not looking forward to the next session.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I am looking forward to the next session actually. But, yeah <shudder>