Thanks!

Oh, let there be no doubt in your mind. After tons of research I did last year, these are three of the ones I am using, along with a Neutrogena one I must have purchased elsewhere. Amazon makes it easy to drop in and repeat orders :)

Wetsuits are also SPF 2,000,000.

Any reason for using sunscreen instead of sunblock? Just curious as it is my understanding that sunblock inhibits penetration of the epidermis by the sun, whereas sunscreen filters out UV rays, still allowing the sun to reach the skin. Don't know much about it though, I just coverup and avoid the sun!

Any reason for using sunscreen instead of sunblock? Just curious as it is my understanding that sunblock inhibits penetration of the epidermis by the sun, whereas sunscreen filters out UV rays, still allowing the sun to reach the skin. Don't know much about it though, I just coverup and avoid the sun!

Covering up will do the trick, as long as the clothing you use provides protection. Many T-shirts let light through, and a wet T-shirt is SPF 4! I've been surprised looking at the shirts I own. I wear UV clothing for bright sun situations or when I am outside a long time.

In the picture I attached, the ThinkBaby product is a sun block (mineral-Zinc/Titanium based), the other two are sun screens (non-mineral based), to use your terms. I did a significant amount of research to understand the chemicals and minerals and their effects on UVA and UVB, and sometimes I use one versus the other. Block if I don't care if the skin is white/hazy and if I need protection immediately. Non-mineral based requires some time for it to become effective.

I started the thread below last year, and around pages 3 and 4 I included research I had done into the chemicals used and why some entities (e.g., Consumer Reports) rate some higher than others. If you'd like to continue chatting about sunscreens, we can take it over to this thread. Thanks for the question!

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-after-care/5584-sunscreen-sun-vacation-threads.html

Thanks @Thailawson The artist is Kian Forreal based in Sydney. I went to him because I love the traditional look of his work. He has done both my sleeves, back and idiot me has already started the conversation with him about extending my 2 chest panels to a full front with Munewari. Definitely not looking forward to doing the front side.

I think we are about 70-80 hours in so far. I have had 3 decent sized tattoos removed that were in the way of the backpiece, 2 on back and 1 on thigh. We have found that those areas have required often require a 2nd pass to get the colour saturation that he wants.

I had seen Adam's work and he was on my list of maybes to start my decent new work but I really connected with Kian's style of work and plus he was only about a 4-5 hour car return trip from where I live as opposed to Adam was maybe a 16 hour return car trip. :)

@SeeSea looking amazing, must be a good feeling to be finally finished such a long process. I am a recreational Scuba diver as well and I am looking forward to being finished with my back so I can go for a few dives again. With my sleeves, back and removal I have basically been out of the water for 2 years. Even though I am in talks on continuing my work I am definitely taking a break after my back is done.

@Cork, Saw your finished pictures and it looks awesome. You too must be happy to be finished although I am sure you have plans for more. :)

Cheers

Jason.

Great work so far this month. Glad to see some more progress @Diehardonvhs Diehard, you're going to be hitting that other cheek?

Thanks! Yeah, next session actually! I asked for it to be left blank until I had finished a piece by Jess Yen on the side of the thigh, but we have reached a point where we just have to get all the background done now, so hopefully next week we will get the other cheek and thigh finished (fingers crossed we have the time).

Session 2 done yesterday, plenty left to do but its crazy how different it looks from the end of the 1st session.

Borrowed this pic from Marius' instagram page. Started with the fine line scales on the snake, then the black in the skull and finally some colour on the snake. All told it was probably 5 - 5.5 hours this time around.

10948684_1444932879130452_1944732026_n.jpg

post-3821-146168877035_thumb.jpg

I had the seventh session on my back yesterday and we finally started in on the colour and crushed the tiger. There's still a bit of shading to do in the water, and we're still figuring out what to do with the snake with regard to scales or patterns, colours, etc., as well as what colours to do the maples, but I am super stoked on the progress we're making.

@ironchef Dave kills it. Because I obviously can't see what he's doing it's always cool getting up to switch positions and seeing how much he filled or lined.

@SeeSea I think I have mentioned it before on here but the design is referenced from a photo of a Horiyoshi 3 backpiece that was printed in one of the early TAMs. I always liked tattoos where you see the tiger's back because there's so much power in it's spine, and I thought I wanted something more along those lines, but I kept on going back to this positioning because there's just so much strength there. The paws and claws are super tough. I love the markings on the tiger's head too.