Hopefully that's a walkable area of LA? Lol :p

out of curiosity, i asked lord google to show me a map of Dark Horse Tattoo and a few other tattoo shops also popped up around it. this sparked even more curiosity, so i asked lord google to search all tattoo shops in the area and GOOD GOD THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!! @embers could walk around looking at portfolios until it's time for his next appointment!

im flying to la to start my back with bryan burk next week, appointment got pushed back a couple times, but finally after hundreds of wasted airline tickets were doing it haha. hes flying out that night so my appointment got moved to 10am. oof. going to be dead tired and after have no where to go until my friend gets off work at 8pm hahah

Very stoked for you!

Hopefully that's a walkable area of LA? Lol :p

Bwa ha ha ha! LA? Walkable? Ha ha ha! I'm crying @beez ...ssssigh.

Actually, you're in luck @embers. The shop is near "Vermont". That street is full of restaurants to park yourself at and have a bite and pint. Or the Scientology building off Sunset isn't too far away either if that's your thing ;-)

Oh and if you have a car, Spotlight Tattoo is an easy drive from where you will be.

Question for everyone with a backpiece that is a real full (ass included) backpiece. When someone asks to see it do you immediately show them everything or do you just show them the part above the waist and then show them rest if they start asking how far down it goes?

@BrianH I'm not one to be afraid of pulling off my shirt and dropping my pants but being self aware, I usually just show a pic from my smartphone first. Some people want to see it in the flesh and I would start with the shirt and depending on where the conversations lead, usually show my ass off too.

I am pretty excited for the day I can do this and not feel ashamed. Still doing my due diligence of who I should pick and money I need to save.

@BrianH if they are heavily tattooed and know what a full back piece entails I'll show them all the goods. Otherwise I usually just show the top and listen to all the comments about how they can't believe someone would get their ass tattooed.

@BrianH, I feel that Lance pretty much nailed it. Although first I usually ask, "How comfortable are you with male nudity." It usually gets chuckle from the person, and it also makes me laugh because people think I'm just joking around.

- - - Updated - - -

@BrianH I'm not one to be afraid of pulling off my shirt and dropping my pants but being self aware, I usually just show a pic from my smartphone first. Some people want to see it in the flesh and I would start with the shirt and depending on where the conversations lead, usually show my ass off too.

I do the smart phone thing too sometimes. Usually I get a "NO way!" and I end up taking off my shirt anyhow.

Had another sit on my back yesterday. Did the shading on the lower back and left ass cheek and thigh. Pretty much everything is shaded (I think?) besides my right ass cheek and thigh. Back is looking so full now. Healing is not so fun with all the Easter hustle. No fucks have been given regarding my athletic pants being worn in public all day.

Getting really happy seeing it all coming together. Excited to see the shading all done in 5wks after our next session. Not so happy that we have to take a two month break this summer (June & July) due to travel and work commitments. But I'm sure it's for the best, as I can't imagine hiking and kayaking on the east coast to be good for healing fresh work.

There's mine completed in 2007ish. I now wish it were more detailed but at the time I wanted the biggest back piece with the least amount of time and effort and money. So it goes.

[ATTACH]12254[/ATTACH]

I absolutely LOVE this one. So bold, it almost looks 3D.That blue against gold also really does it for me. If you can get something like that with less time, effort and money spent, it's a win-win if you ask me. Who did you say made this??

Had another sit on my back yesterday. Did the shading on the lower back and left ass cheek and thigh. Pretty much everything is shaded (I think?) besides my right ass cheek and thigh.

Ohhhhh, be very careful saying such a thing out loud! TWICE I thought the work was done in some areas, but NOOOO there had to be more detail grinded (ground?) in over previous layers. Just let that little hope of a single pass remain a little secret wish in your heart.

- - - Updated - - -

@mmikaoj - wow, just wow. It has been amazing to watch your backpiece evolve and when you got the flames around the sides, thinking that you were lying to us that you truly hadn't gone off the black&grey wagon. Surely looked a very nice red/grey that would have looked great with the rest of it! :D

I love your piece - it's up on the top 10 of all my favorite backpieces. Just amazing in the precision, and the flow on your body.

Question for everyone with a backpiece that is a real full (ass included) backpiece. When someone asks to see it do you immediately show them everything or do you just show them the part above the waist and then show them rest if they start asking how far down it goes?

good question!

my tattooer designed the layout of my backpiece such that I can take off my shirt, leave the pants on and spectators can still tell what it is going on and then if I really want to give the whoa factor i can drop trou...we need to remember the average person thinks a butt tattoo is a joke, like a tweety bird or 'your name' heart on the cheek, and a lot aren't prepared for what they get when they ask a backpiece wearer "how far down does that go eh?" and then you get the really horrified/intrigued folks who want to know how deep the tattoo went in your ass crack...(?)

really, it all depends on the context of the situation and your relationship to the person that is asking to see it.

i've probably shown mine off on the phone screen more than in person...because people are dumb and ask to see our tattoos at the most inappropriate times...at a work meeting or at the grocery store...or like i'm having dinner in a restaurant, yeah you want me to stand up and show you my tattooed ass crack? sure, let me finish chewing first! lol

in the tattoo shop though...anything goes! drop em and show em what ya got!

Ohhhhh, be very careful saying such a thing out loud! TWICE I thought the work was done in some areas, but NOOOO there had to be more detail grinded (ground?) in over previous layers. Just let that little hope of a single pass remain a little secret wish in your heart.

Oh for shit sakes. You are so right. I'm glad I've yet to utter those words out loud, ha.

I'm so glad I found this thread. Although I never screamed during my back piece, it was brutal at times. I literally saw stars during the session that we did her face and shoulder area. I did this in 2-3 hour sessions. By Matt Dinovo out of Black Squirrel Tattoo in Omaha, NE.

20150329_193439-1_thumb.jpg

Edited by AuntTudie
grammar

Hello friends. It's been a while since I've posted, as it had been a while since I've been tattooed. That ended today with the first sit on my back piece.

Overall, I'd say it wasn't as awful as I expected, but certain areas were downright painful. Notably the bum. Next sit isn't for 9 weeks, so I've got time to mentally prepare myself for more pain.

post-49790-146168879174_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk