@Patrick Bateman

Hey thanks! Honestly i kind of rushed into getting it without much thought and went to a local shop in Philadelphia and met this guy Angel Quiles. So far its been 4 sessions maybe around 25 hours. In retrospect i would have taken more time researching traditional japanese back pieces and artists, the background kind of bothers me because of the unorthodox looking clouds :/

Its funny though i originally went into the shop looking to get a tribal pheonix. Which turned into the first picture...then the second picture..then... This piece wasnt planned.

started this end of '13 with rich hardy in krakow,poland. then i travelled to london, paris and london again to finish it few weeks ago. so relieved that i finally don't have to get through that pain again. although the shading during the last 3 sessions was so easy in comparison to the lines.

anyways i can only repeat that rich is the nicest guy. everyone should get tattooed by him if he is around.

merry christmas everyone!

k0pwl0.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I had my first session with Steve Moore yesterday and we finished up the outline for my Monkey King. I have about 48 hours of tattooing under my belt so far and this outline session was only 3 hours, but the most uncomfortable and painful 3 hours yet! I've read a lot on full backs and apparently they can be quite sharp, but I had a hard time in quite a few spots. For example, often I can keep my breathing and just flow through the pain, but this session had me clenching my jaw, face and just suffering. Steven started chatting with me and it really helped distract me.

Steve Moore is absolutely a professional. He researched tons for this piece. He looked at photographs of monkeys, martial artists, and other reference pictures. He mentioned that he debated about how to put the orientation of the Monkey King's foot and used a martial artist's monkey style to duplicate it. I think it looks amazing and the details on it just blew me away. I love how Steve put our collaboration ideas together.

Anyways, here's the drawing

tumblr_o12mz7Vm331rj910co1_540.jpg

After three hours of outlining

tumblr_o13x5m2Xqi1rj910co1_540.jpg

tumblr_o13x7sNS2G1rj910co1_540.jpg

tumblr_o13xb8vJIA1rj910co1_540.jpg

Got my next session in February. Dreading it a bit, but also very excited haha

Love all the pieces here!! Finished this up back in 2012 while I was living in Beijing... Done by Tang Ping (ziyou tattoos). The top right part is a cover-up. He also did a monkey king on my front but i guess that belongs on a front piece thread :D.

www.instagram.com/ziyoutattoo

IMG-20140110-WA0002_1.jpg

He also did this tibetan skull (it won 1st at the london tat convention in 2010)... which was the piece that sold me on getting mine from him.

250174_2097356514590_1265681755_32510946_3637278_n.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much all @Graeme @9Years @polliwog. I was walking around work and just remembered and smiled broadly. I think people thought I was crazy. I'm so happy with how it came out considering all I said to Ian at the start was that I wanted a Japanese dragon full back piece.

I will always remember the day I walked in to the studio and Ian asked "How do you feel about Tibetan skulls?" It worked out well.

And relining those waves... not fun on the last session but it made such a difference so I am super happy we went for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks very much all @Graeme @9Years @polliwog. I was walking around work and just remembered and smiled broadly. I think people thought I was crazy. I'm so happy with how it came out considering all I said to Ian at the start was that I wanted a Japanese dragon full back piece.

I will always remember the day I walked in to the studio and Ian asked "How do you feel about Tibetan skulls?" It worked out well.

And relining those waves... not fun on the last session but it made such a difference so I am super happy we went for it.

Session 3.

Steve really put on a lot of ink this time. I was shaking a bit during the first hour and not doing well with the pain, but Steve said to relax my entire body and left the pain "flow through my body". When I did this, the experience completely changed. Obviously, it still hurt, but I was able to breathe through it and find some calmness. I'm very happy with the progress so far and Steven is pumped too!

tumblr_o4b9yfZIWI1rj910co1_540.jpg

Close up

tumblr_o4ba0hOqR51rj910co1_540.jpg