@asradin yeah, I've heard the kidneys are no joke! Definitely not looking forward to it haha. Honestly dude, I have no idea how you where able to sit at all after no sleep for 30 hours. I would have probably laid down, one line and I would have been up and out of there :)

I'm getting to know names around here, but awesome back pieces started by the actual members who posted their own work. Asradin, that looks like a great start.

This thread makes me want to get started on a back piece immediately. Too bad that's not going to happen within the next 2 years. I do want something full back, and it'll probably be Kanga Yaksha Myo-o. He is the god protecting the North. 3 Faces, 6 arms, you know... the norm, haha.

kongo-yaska-heian-era-toji-kyoto-handbook-minimized.jpg

How can there be a full back piece thread that has gone 11 pages without a single mention of Hiroshige?!? Or did I miss that page? Anyhow, these are some of my favorites of his.

sh_1155_01.jpgsh_1063_01.jpg

sh_1026_01.jpg

sh_0996_01.jpg

Loving the site and especially this thread.

I am after some ideas and inspiration for a back piece I plan to start In Jan next year. The main feature will be a Japanese dragon face (black and grey) looking straight on, and I love Audrey Kawasaki images so was thinking of 3 faces (black and grey again) all at different angles above the dragon head with their hair draping down over the top of the dragon.Then a large phoenix (in colour as all my other work, chest,stomach, arms etc are in black and grey) from the back of my thigh coming up on to my lower back meeting the dragon face. The only problem I have is that I have a wolf face on my lower back (middle) I need to incorporate somehow. I don't really want to laser it as it has a good story to it but I also don't want it to ruin a great back piece. Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.

I had the chance to go to the Bay Area Convention of the Tattoo Arts today and I now consider myself spoiled silly. Backpieces and bodysuits! Not only was I able to purchase a copy of the impressive 2 vol. Bloodwork: Bodies collection, which documents some outstanding pieces, but I was also able to attend Horitomo's presentation on backpieces. I don't know about others who may have attended today but I found it very enlightening. Essentially addressing a variety of Horitomo's own beliefs on how a traditional backpiece evolved to it's current state since the Edo Period, his belief on traditional composition, what makes up a "completed" backpiece, the differences between pieces for men vs. women, even the traditional belief that the bacpiece should be the bearer's first tattoo prior to adding sleeves. In my own account this was the exact opposite of my own planning, where I'd started with my arms. Jill, had mentioned this to me, and there are many examples of this in Japanese tattoo magazines, but I always assumed it had to do with the traditional idea of hiding the tattoo behind clothing. It was then interesting to hear Horitomo giving examples of how adding sleeves first was potentially detrimental to the composition of background in an artistic composite. Even an artist's signature added to the tattoo, which was debated in another post was discussed.

It was a great opportunity for me to look into the traditional Japanese tattoo mindset without having to question the authenticity of the source as there's so much "exoticism" sometimes applied. There's another seminar tomorrow and I'd recommend it. Besides it also comes with Horitomo's new book too. Bonus! Anyone else's thoughts about it today?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
anyone ever been tattooed by two tattooers at the same time?

not me, but Reina cartwright,charlie's daughter and I put 2 tattoos on opposite arms of a walk in one day. I jokingly said " you wan'em at the same time " and he said "alright" so I said "come on Reina" it was pretty funny , he was an ol' man. a merchant marine as I remember.