i always wondered how bad it would be to heal a back piece. how is sleeping? more importantly, how do you put any kind of lotion on the tattoo?

I slept on my front, or on my side in some cases. When my back was really tender I found that I would wake up in the same position as I'd fallen asleep in - it was like my body knew not to move too much.

As for applying stuff to it: As mentioned above, this is where a partner comes in handy. By the end, though, I'd actually gotten to be able to do it myself, just takes a bit of flexibility.

Overall the waistline was the worst part. Going to work wearing a shirt and pants sucked. I felt like my back healed quicker than some other parts of my body (my foot, for example).

I slept on my front' date=' or on my side in some cases. When my back was really tender I found that I would wake up in the same position as I'd fallen asleep in - it was like my body knew not to move too much.

As for applying stuff to it: As mentioned above, this is where a partner comes in handy. By the end, though, I'd actually gotten to be able to do it myself, just takes a bit of flexibility.

Overall the waistline was the worst part. Going to work wearing a shirt and pants sucked. I felt like my back healed quicker than some other parts of my body (my foot, for example).[/quote']

Pretty much the same for me so far.

I found that for the first night after a session I apply A&D ointment liberally and cover with plastic wrap, wear a plain white T-shirt, and sleep face down.

After that night I use Aquaphor till the flakes fall off then plain lotion.

I can reach everything myself, but it's nice having a sympathetic GF when I feel lazy :)

Seems to also help to wear white t-shirt for a week or so.

The worst thing is the itching! Having your entire back itch for a week straight is fucking insane!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I tend to sleep on my front or side, so sleeping is not a problem for me when dealing with my back. But my husband and I have definitely often joked that a back piece is really not something to embark on as a single person; one's partner is pretty damn key in caring for the thing. Don't know how people do it alone!

But my husband and I have definitely often joked that a back piece is really not something to embark on as a single person; one's partner is pretty damn key in caring for the thing. Don't know how people do it alone!

I dunno about this. I revoked aftercare privileges from my wife after her first smear of A&D betrayed a complete lack of sympathy. Single people, get that back piece and then revel in your self reliance.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought one of these to care for my back piece when my girlfriend wasn't around to help...

Lotion Applicator Back Brush - Bed Bath & Beyond

God, no.

No, fuck enduring the tattoo equivalent of running a marathon only to have someone hold your hand for the last furlough.

Maybe that's just me, though.

yeah, why would you want someone help you to properly take care of a large tattoo that you've invested your time, money and pain into?

One that's physically impossible to reach by yourself with any level of consistency? :D

I like it, I do it. You dont like it, you dont do it.

This, I agree with.

I dont know...it just all seems overly dramatic.

What I find dramatic is people making a huge deal out of back piece aftercare. It doesn't take a village.

- - - Updated - - -

And for the record, this is a silly debate. Just go get good back piece tattoos, everybody.

Second hit on my back. Lined the butt and hamstring, put scales on the snake. All outlines on now so should see some good progress after the next couple sessions. Stoked on how this is turning out. Sorry for the full moon shots its the only way to show this off!!

Do you have some pictures from the first hit? Maybe you have posted it here before..?