I had a good discussion with my artist about back pieces. It's just such a hard thing to commit to. You can only see it second-hand, mirror or pic. Designing an amazing one that doesn't resemble something else feels like a bugger. They are expensive and take forever. I'd love to get a piece inspired by the Soviet cartoon "The Cat and the Tree" with a cat that looks like mine and a magnolia in bloom, but would take forever. So many I want before that. I may get the kitty first and put in the rest. I hate to get a cliche idea, but I am in love with it.

I had a good discussion with my artist about back pieces. It's just such a hard thing to commit to. You can only see it second-hand, mirror or pic. Designing an amazing one that doesn't resemble something else feels like a bugger. They are expensive and take forever. I'd love to get a piece inspired by the Soviet cartoon "The Cat and the Tree" with a cat that looks like mine and a magnolia in bloom, but would take forever. So many I want before that. I may get the kitty first and put in the rest. I hate to get a cliche idea, but I am in love with it.

Might as well work on the other areas of your body until "takes forever" stops being the worry and "I'm so excited, when can I start it" becomes the predominant feeling.

Might as well work on the other areas of your body until "takes forever" stops being the worry and "I'm so excited, when can I start it" becomes the predominant feeling.

And from what I've observed and will experience in the not-too-distant future, "I'm so excited, when can I start it" is followed by "MY GOD WHY I AM SUCH AN IDIOT". That seems to go back to excitement though.

I think part of the appeal of a back piece is the required patience, discipline, and sacrifice.

I think part of the appeal of a back piece is the required patience' date=' discipline, and sacrifice.[/quote']

Well, those in a rush could always pay a couple of visits to Chad Koeplinger. I think there was a 2-session 7.5 hour back piece he posted lately? It looked like it took a lot longer ... Like the Xam whale-rider tattoo earlier in this thread.

Joking aside, I agree that the complexity, commitment and finality is part of why back pieces are special.

I think even with a more detailed back piece it need not take years, though. The limiting factor mostly relates back to money, right? To pay the artist and to travel, if necessary.

This is true. But I spend minutes and just a few dollars comparatively on my hair and makeup. ;) Excellent point, though.

But added up over, say 60 or 70 years (not forgetting hair dressers, beauticians, eyebrow plucking, all that make up we buy that turns out to be just wrong, cleansers, etc.) it's quite a different picture, I'd think.

But added up over, say 60 or 70 years (not forgetting hair dressers, beauticians, eyebrow plucking, all that make up we buy that turns out to be just wrong, cleansers, etc.) it's quite a different picture, I'd think.

Ain't that the truth, sis?

My aunt's a Mary Kay consultant, and I gotta admit, that stuff is GOOD. And after years of searching, I found a foundation that works, and it's cheap ol' Covergirl Oil of Olay. Who would have thought? Not this dummy.

Well, those in a rush could always pay a couple of visits to Chad Koeplinger. I think there was a 2-session 7.5 hour back piece he posted lately? It looked like it took a lot longer ... Like the Xam whale-rider tattoo earlier in this thread.

Joking aside, I agree that the complexity, commitment and finality is part of why back pieces are special.

I think even with a more detailed back piece it need not take years, though. The limiting factor mostly relates back to money, right? To pay the artist and to travel, if necessary.

This one was done by Dave Cummings in seven sessions over two months. So yeah, it need not take years. I don't think I have the ability to be tattooed that much in that short a time period though.

8cf58c92013211e3912622000a9f307a_7.jpg

This one was done by Dave Cummings in seven sessions over two months. So yeah' date=' it need not take years. I don't think I have the ability to be tattooed that much in that short a time period though. [/quote']

What would put me off about weekly appointments, if I were doing it again, would be the fact that you'd have a freshly healing back all the time, more than the pain. It would screw up your sleep, clothes etc for the duration....

I know one of the members on here has that big reaper back piece Chad is doing in London. That thing is amazing. I saw a similar unfinished Jef Whitehead one. Big Reapers make good subject matter, really powerful looking.

And from what I've observed and will experience in the not-too-distant future, "I'm so excited, when can I start it" is followed by "MY GOD WHY I AM SUCH AN IDIOT". That seems to go back to excitement though.

In my experience so far, getting a full back piece is the best and worst feeling at the same time.

That being said, it's completely 100% totally worth it, and Dave C is going to make your back look insane, @Graeme.

He did an Oni on the back of my right thigh (from ass to back of knee) about a year ago now, and it's the coolest tattoo ever.

Nicest guy too.

What would put me off about weekly appointments, if I were doing it again, would be the fact that you'd have a freshly healing back all the time, more than the pain. It would screw up your sleep, clothes etc for the duration....

I had the consult for my back with Dave not too long after he finished that one and he seemed pretty in awe about how well she (that tiger is on Vero who tattoos at Tattoomania) handled it. I am not that tough and I am totally okay with that. Though I wonder if it would be so bad having a couple of really shitty months of healing and then having it done instead of spacing it out over months or years...

@rozone I am super excited to get it started. Dave's tigers are so good and he's such a nice dude and PSC is a great shop.

• 3 weeks later...
@ironchef you can't hide that shit on your Instagram and let it pop up on that side bar and I barely miss it. It looks awesome but that really goes without saying.

Having not been tattooed in well over 4 months, it felt like I went 12 rounds today in the ring with Rubendall, hahaha. We did a 6-6 1/2 hour session. I'll try to upload better pics tomorrow. For now just enjoy the ones in the Instagram feed. Goodnight...

Jeff Gogue just posted the Back Piece hes been getting from Shige over the past 3 years on facebook....Wow!!

1395156_602884253105685_898696776_n.jpg

This is absolutely amazing!

Sadly to be a downer, and I know the subjects been talked about already elsewhere, but this piece has already been copied by someone else and can be found on Instagram if you search #Shige. Not inspired by, but straight up copied by the person's own admission. I refuse to link it. A sad state for a custom piece designed for a specific person :-(

At least Gogue's is the original and everyone knows it.