great stuff guys but i need a little advice

I started my back and i have to the second out line and it goes down my ass to mid thigh, what would be good ettiquette for getting it done

beside the obvious washing and taking care not to eat anything that will give me gas, and just in case have gasX on hand

what should i wear or should i just lay there bare ass or should i have a bananna hamock to keep the goods in place

please help

Hey don't fret. You could always use a pair of snap pants to keep your self half covered. Or you could use a towel to wrap your self half up. Or best yet you could ask your Artist what they recommend as they have agreed to tattoo your back down past your butt. I am sure they wont care if you asked what it is they want, as they may be thankful to know what you would be wearing for that session. LOL maybe you could use a sock to cover up your junk LOL

great stuff guys but i need a little advice

I started my back and i have to the second out line and it goes down my ass to mid thigh, what would be good ettiquette for getting it done

beside the obvious washing and taking care not to eat anything that will give me gas, and just in case have gasX on hand

what should i wear or should i just lay there bare ass or should i have a bananna hamock to keep the goods in place

please help

balls to the wall, man. balls to the wall.

Tim Commeford from Rage Against The Machine has a great backpiece.

culorizado.jpg

I cant remember how old I was when I saw this the first time. Maybe like 16 or so, but I remember that back then I thought how cool the tattoos is, but for years and years I was just too... I dont know if affraid is the right word, maybe too harsh. I was just too self-conscience (sp?) and too concerned what other people would have thought (even if I act like I didnt give a fuck) if I got something so "lame, boring and normal". It was same with Traditonal Japanese and Americana.

I had to grow as a person to let myself love those styles. Fuck! I wish there would have been more sense in me (and fucking GOOD artists in here) so I could have gotten something like this in my arms (attached), rather than the shit I have now. And now I have a skin disorder that hinders A LOT my changes of getting tattooed... Fuck. This is the first time it has gotten to me really. Sorry about the rant!

About backpieces, this is weird and cool by Volker

l_9bf5bb8a5e84677e26465c3eba6528c1.jpg

Heres a newer piece from Horitaka i think is superb .To me it illuminates what PShakman hit upon about "Lehi also employed restraint in not overwhelming the foreground."I love Japanese but i think it can often times appear too busy and when u step back find yourself lost in the details .Jerry also wrote about "concentrating too much on the principle and neglecting the background which is the true principle ".Horihide ,who influenced Jerry typified mastery of the background and if u look at his work it allways looks strong .

Anyway Taka has produced a really powerfull and original piece with all the allure and boldness of traditional Western .I liken it to Marvel meets the Suikoden .

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I should post mine here, since I've enjoyed this thread so much:

hogg-albums-some-my-tattoos-picture4615-jill-horiyuki-bonny-state-grace-san-jose-ca.jpg

By Jill "Horiyuki" Bonny, State of Grace, San Jose, CA. You can also see my Scott Sylvia cobra on my right elbow (with my itsty-bitsy Ben Grillo spider under it), and my left arm, the upper part of which was done by Eddy Deutsche back at 222 and the lower 2/3rd of which was done by Horitomo, also at State of Grace.

That Bert Grimm 'Duel in the sun' backpiece from earlier is very cool - love the double eagles and 'rising sun' motif.

I like the Valerie Vargas back piece attached a lot. I think she could do an amazing take on the 'rock of ages'....?

Another piece that has always stood out to me is this back piece by Shige (also attached). In his book it mentions that it is a tribute to the vanishing tradition of falconry in Japan. There's something very 'airy' about it.

Great examples ,i really like how Tim's ends high on the glutes .Heres some of my favourites.

First ones by Grime love the effect of the clouds on this.

Next up by Theo Mindell who has some of the best back pieces around .

Classic rock of ages from Luke Wessman ,no stranger to this site

Seen the Grime piece in person really bad ass. Its on my tattooist who's doing my back here in Seattle Colin Delgado.

I never get enough of Theo Mindells back pieces ,or any of his tattoos ,his classic designs already have a timeless appeal for me .If like me u want to scope out more from the crew at Spider Murphy's check out their new blog- Spider Murphy's Tattoo

Looking at his new pics i feel reminiscent of the work of the great Greg Irons

I was at the Scottish Tattoo Convention the weekend before last, and took the opportunity to have a chat with the people there from King Carlos Tattoo in Sweden.

Calle in King Carlos is pretty well-known for his Japanese style stuff in Europe and he does a lot of large-scale stuff. I have been e-mailing back and forth a little bit about booking in to begin a backpiece, but nothing finalised yet.

I think his stuff is really refined and he seems to have that knack for making the backgrounds of japanese style tattoos look like they're flowing and curling like real water or smoke.

.:: King Carlos Tattoo ::.

• 2 weeks later...

i posted a thomas hooper picture at the top of this page, that is pretty small and doesn't do the piece justice. there were a bunch of nice, big close up's of that tattoo added to his website today. it's super sick and worth checking out, his whole website is extremely informative, with an abundance of material that is tattoo and not tattoo related. this picture was just posted there too. fuuuck...

Hoopers Electric – Meditations in Atrament