@Chap way to tough it out. It's not an easy road and IMO if anything makes it slightly better, it's worth it. FYI, painkillers really don't do shit for the pain anyways, but they will help you zone out easier. So don't feel guilty like you're getting off easy. It's still going to suck :) Have fun!

Progress after 6 sessions. Sorry about the bad angle and lighting, but I figured I should finally put something up as this continues to evolve. Looks like a mess up top where he's starting the background into the blue up to the circle which is the location of the sun and the hammerhead silhouette. I had to tap out before he could get to a decent stopping point on that.

The only parts close to done are the sea snake, the two orange fish and the bottom clownfish. Everything else is the first or second layer of paint and we're still missing a critter at the bottom.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3hP0yv6rOoY/U2mOmwxTK7I/AAAAAAAAAE0/qYK1YJycKO0/w716-h1074-no/Session+6+done+sm+sm.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-wj42u_1k8b0/U2mQfeL008I/AAAAAAAAAFQ/KNPdI4dlpvw/w970-h1074-no/Session+6+3+sm+sm.jpg

@Chap I hope you get through it okay today :)

The good news is, after finishing the lining everything else (shading, coloring) will be a 'breeze' :)

Lining my back was 5 hours of pure hell, but i can get through the shading and coloring sessions without much troubles.... thankgod :)

Looks great so far. Being a diver, I recognize all the subjects and can see it's progressing well. The design flow and proportion is good.

Thanks - it's hard to see where it's going without seeing the entire design he's working from. Once more background is in, it's gonna become more obvious it's a scene rather than a bunch of critter stickers.

Yeah, at this stage, you need to be a diver to see the flow. Everything definitely ties together nicely.

On a side topic, I don't think I could do more than 2-3 hours per session on a piece like this with so much ocean blue shading. For me, line work feels like a sharp knife edge cutting. Not pleasant, but bearable. Shading feels like a spoon shaped knife digging over and over.

On a side topic, I don't think I could do more than 2-3 hours per session on a piece like this with so much ocean blue shading. For me, line work feels like a sharp knife edge cutting. Not pleasant, but bearable. Shading feels like a spoon shaped knife digging over and over.

The shading just started - first session with a magnum was last week. I think he mostly uses flats, but I have very little clue about how this all works. He's shown me a couple times but since I can't see what he's doing, I haven't learned much. I felt like the magnum was a little easier to deal with, but not much time on one yet. It was nice to finally cover some ground, though! So far it's just been grinding over and over the same area until I think there must be no skin left.

I think this piece would be really troublesome if he had to work in smaller time chunks like 2-3 hours. It's not really enough time to get in all the fine details of a couple critters and once you start, you really have to finish one. For example, the jellyfish and some coral outlining was aborted when he came down with a cold like a ton of bricks during the session, so it was only 3 hours. Even though I regularly sit for 5-6 hours, it's not solid time. There's probably 4 small breaks in there so he can catch a smoke. Thankfully.

@SeeSea

I'm not a diver, but I was a major reef tank geek for a long time. I definitely get the subject and personally it looks great. Good luck with the progress.

Thanks! Do you still have a tank? I love looking at them but am afraid of the time commitment and accidentally killing them off o_o There are some spectacularly colored small eels that I love, like the snowflake moray.

@SeeSea

No after hurricane Irene and the power loss I lost a few grand in coral and fish. I am going to wait until we move from a Coop to a house to get another reef tank. Snowflake moray isn't too bad to take care of, all carnivores/ predator fish are "dirty" so you just have to be on top of the water quality.

Getting aquacultured corals from professional crossbreeders is more addictive then tattoos, you find yourself justifying a $400 piece the size of your thumbnail because its rare and will be beautiful when it spreads and grows

That awful tribal is going To be worked in To a halo kind Thing. But like i Said I was 17 when I thought that was cool. ( was an idiot) Also that Japanese part I though it said irezumi (tattoo in Japanese) but apparently it means sashimi (kinda sushi). Horiyoshi had a great laugh about that.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

Pictures? What did you get I wanna see!

Wow. That came out great. Dragons are slowly growing on me that one is excellent

@misterJ I'll post pics, but a little later when its more complete. I may even wait until its finished. I'll tag you when I post something though! Hopefully I'll get it done this summer, but with a light teaching load this semester my tattooing budget is drying up. :(

Also, I don't want to risk posting anything else on this page after seeing @ThatGuy 's piece from Valerie. That one deserves a page all its own. (I say that half in jest, because everytime I think I've seen the best f'ing tattoo ever, another one appears within a week - a tribute to the artists and clients who fill these pages.