I just got back from another fun-filled session. 3 hours of stabbing on and around my spine....fun fun fun :)

This time a lot more black went in (coat and bow mostly), a bunch of purple in the coat and bow and some pink in the Kitsune's feet.

IMG_8091_zpsfebe13c2.jpg

I have another 2 sessions planned (in 2 weeks, and the last one in 4 weeks), and the piece should be done then! :cool:

I just got back from another fun-filled session. 3 hours of stabbing on and around my spine....fun fun fun :)

This time a lot more black went in (coat and bow mostly), a bunch of purple in the coat and bow and some pink in the Kitsune's feet.

I have another 2 sessions planned (in 2 weeks, and the last one in 4 weeks), and the piece should be done then! :cool:

Maaaaaan I am jealous of the progress. I wish I could bang sessions like you, but $$. Boo to me

IMG_8091_zpsfebe13c2.jpg

I love the legibility and solid colors in this! A LOT!! I've really found myself liking the less detail cluttered Japanese stuff these days. Like ones you see in books from +30 years ago and older photos from the early 1900s. The clarity of the subject is very powerful.

These posts really inspire me to begin work on my torso soon, but I'm still wracking my brain trying to figure out what to get. As an aside if anyone has suggestions on what works with a samurai/namakubi backpiece and dragon/ho-o sleeves by all means feel free to shout out. Suggestions more than welcome.

Obviously I'm also drawn more to the 'simple' design, a more 'new school' very detailed design can be very cool from close-by, but imho a japanese suite should have the 'wow' factor from across the room, not from 30cm away.

And what doesn't work with a samurai, a dragon and a ho-o?! You can put just about anything on your torso :) (but perhaps that part of the problem, soooo much to choose from :) )

For myself i'm still not sure about what to do with the torso, if i should continue with a munewari style front, with maybe something like a Kirin and a Baku on either side (perhaps going down onto my legs), or something like a yurei and a baku or something, or just do the whole front with one big piece

I love the legibility and solid colors in this! A LOT!! I've really found myself liking the less detail cluttered Japanese stuff these days. Like ones you see in books from +30 years ago and older photos from the early 1900s. The clarity of the subject is very powerful.

These posts really inspire me to begin work on my torso soon, but I'm still wracking my brain trying to figure out what to get. As an aside if anyone has suggestions on what works with a samurai/namakubi backpiece and dragon/ho-o sleeves by all means feel free to shout out. Suggestions more than welcome.

I couldn't agree more.

It seems like you have all the major images people get on your body already (I scouted your pics I didn't see the namakubi... Shame I love a good brutal severed head)

So torso suggestions? How about a veiled hannya piece , or geisha with the fan revealing

The evil mask. I've always liked those and the only other thing I could suggest is a koi? And I'm not feeling it on you as much as the veiled hannya

Who knows? Thoughts?

Edit: @DevilMan what's a buka? Yurei is ghost if I remember but I don't know the other

Sorry typo :) I meant a Baku, a 'dream eater'.

Baku are classic chimera; the body of a bear, the nose of an elephant, the feet of a tiger, the tail of an ox, and the eyes of a rhinoceros. One legend says that when the gods were finished creating the animals, they took all of the odds and ends lying around and put them together to make the baku.

Have a look at Baku – The Dream Eater | for some more info

Sorry typo :) I meant a Baku, a 'dream eater'.

Baku are classic chimera; the body of a bear, the nose of an elephant, the feet of a tiger, the tail of an ox, and the eyes of a rhinoceros. One legend says that when the gods were finished creating the animals, they took all of the odds and ends lying around and put them together to make the baku.

Have a look at Baku – The Dream Eater | for some more info

Baku was almost my back piece, I changed my mind like a week before the consult. Thanks for the heads up though.

Sounds like you have really solid ideas for the torso as of now. Interested to see what shapes

Up.