Wow! May I suggest a webcam? That way you can see from all angles, and even record it if you wish.

Thru the ether from my LP2

Ah if only I was that technologically advanced. I can set up a camera and tripod but I feel using a webcam effectively would defeat me. I may just have to buy more mirrors.

While I am here as well, @Graeme your back is looking amazing. It's gonna look seriously powerful when it's finished. And I know what you mean about the love handles being a crap spot. I am not looking forward to filling in those spots. The line work going over them was bad enough.

@Lance Looks like Kishi Monju as @introspect mentioned above. Check this out for a little more info:

Monju Bosatsu (Bodhisattva) - Japanese Buddhist Deity of Wisdom and Education

@instrospect BEAUTIFUL work...thanks for sharing.

@Graeme Coming together nicely dude. Finish up the shading and soon you'll be on color then it'll really POP! I need to get me a tiger soon! HA!

Here's my progress so far by Diego Azaldegui. Got another session in a few weeks which should hopefully finish it off.

IMG_0358.JPG

I was following your bodysuit progress on your blog, Diego's works are amazing. One of my favorites japanese style tattooers from now. I met Rosie at last Barcelona Convention and she showed me her legs and back in progress by Diego too, awesome!!

@Lance Looks like Kishi Monju as @introspect mentioned above. Check this out for a little more info:

Monju Bosatsu (Bodhisattva) - Japanese Buddhist Deity of Wisdom and Education

Thanks for the info. My Buddhist & Shinto Diety knowledge sucks so this provides an interesting read today. Not that I regret my choice, cuz I totally dig mine, but in hind sight it would have been cool knowing more about Dieties and related imagery before doing my own back. I'm currently fascinated by Tobatsu Bishmonten, Repeller of foreign invaders and Protector of Capitol cities. Imagine a 3 faced Diety clad in armor with 10 arms each bearing mostly swords and other knick knacks, all the while astride a lion. A very strong image for a back piece. Hokusai did a crazy 4 faced, 12 armed version that I've been drooling over.

I'm currently fascinated by Tobatsu Bishmonten, Repeller of foreign invaders and Protector of Capitol cities. Imagine a 3 faced Diety clad in armor with 10 arms each bearing mostly swords and other knick knacks, all the while astride a lion. A very strong image for a back piece. Hokusai did a crazy 4 faced, 12 armed version that I've been drooling over.

Is that who is on this tenugui? I don't think so. Does anyone know who this guy is?

Japanese American National Museum -- Museum Store Online

@Kinglambert that shading looks great so far.

Is that who is on this tenugui? I don't think so. Does anyone know who this guy is?

Japanese American National Museum -- Museum Store Online

@Kinglambert that shading looks great so far.

I checked out Shige's IG, he posted a painting of it a bit back. It's "Barekijin", guardian of the horse. It's pretty similar though and still awesome. Shige was doing a tattoo of Tobatsu Bishmonten the opening day of the Exhibit though. He was working on a 3 faced 10 armed version. It was ridiculously good. I'm only guessing, but I think he may have used a couple of Hokusai image as a base. Both imagery I've seen in a Hokusai Manga book. He definitely does them proud.

I wish I could get it done for my front, but for now I think it might be a bit too overpowering compared to my back subject. Maybe I'll change my mind in a few weeks.

@Fala Thanks!

@Rob I Getting tattooed isn't a competition, anybody who sits through a backpiece deserves respect. I still think you're crazy for thinking it was a good idea to get your back done after your chest, but yours is looking so tough and rad that I think I can follow your logic.

@MrToby everything is individual and what not but I've found the shading to be much more tolerable than the lining. Lining is really brutal, much respect to you for getting through that many lines on yours! It looks really incredible, can't wait to see how it comes together.

@Cork Thanks! The only thing you can do is sit as best you can because it's all getting filled no matter what. But goddamn the back is full of gnarly spots.

@SeeSea I am super stoked on it. When I was researching designs prior to starting I found that for tigers I liked them most when they are big, and this one is pretty much as big as my back will allow. Its paws are pretty much the size of my hands. Pictures don't really do the scale of the tattoo justice, as they never do. The actual design and position of the tiger and snake is referenced from a Horiyoshi 3 tattoo. I kept on coming back to that one when I was looking at design possibilities because it's so powerful.

@ironchef I'm really excited for the colour. We haven't fully worked out things because the colour of the leaves is going to depend on the colour of the snake but it's going to be super great whatever way things go.

@Graeme I so look forward to the long stretches of time between sessions with Chad, even though at the same time I'm eager to get it done. I am very impressed at the frequency of your sessions is what I was thinking when I typed that.

I really thought the back would be a piece of cake compared to the chest, and that is just not the case. The back is ROUGH!! I will definitely agree that the shading is much more tolerable than the lining, but it all hurts. Your back piece is looking wonderful. I can't wait to see it finished!

It's done. It's actually done. The last session was the worst one I've had to endure. Major touch ups to the wind bars/clouds, double lining, basically every soft spot got hit in one day. By the end I was definitely spent, but so stoked. Dana was very pleased with how this came out, and that makes me happy too. He wants me to show up to the Baltimore or Philly conventions and do the back piece contest.

This took a year and a half, and it was an amazing experience.