Hoping to learn

tkl13

Hello LST. I recently moved to the west coast from South Dakota. In less densely populated states there are really no licsenses needed to practice the art, so anyone that can order a tattoo machine can set up shop. I have talked to a number of them, but they have been less than open about how to begin. I am 36 so I guess that I would be considered a non-traditional beginner, but I feel driven to learn this artform and I am looking to learn from people who aren't just trying to get a little scratch because they have the only tattoo machine in a town with no tattoo scene I guess.

A little history on myself. I was raised in an uber athletic household with a father who was my PE teacher, drivers ed teacher, football, basketball, and track coach. He instilled in us the belief and the confidence you need to survive. When I told him I wanted to learn this he simply said, "You're not gonna learn that here. You need to find them Trent, they dont find you."

Thats is what I am trying to do. If anyone has any advice for a beginning tattoo artist who is interested first and foremost in learning this artform, I am listening.

Thank you guys. I am not trying to learn to tattoo from a forum. That would be like asking a tattoo machine to teach me how to catch a football, lol! Simply trying to find people that will talk to me about it. If you will thats cool, if not, im in the same spot I was in 5 minutes ago. Still looking for people that will let me pick their brains.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

However, if either of you are aware of a shop, artist, or just a cool tattoo scene where someone might be able to go if they are absolutely confident in they're artistic abilities and they are ready for an honest apprenticeship in a respectable shop, well... in that case I am listening.

No thats not it at all. I am a confident person, not cocky. I believe I can be good, yes. Do I have any false ideas about how difficult it will be to learn, no. I am confident, I am sorry if you see that as arrogance, but anyone who knows knows it is not.

You are correct. I am on the defensive right now, I appologize if I seemed less than humble. I guess I will try again tomorrow. Irezumi, stupider is not a word. More stupid, lol!

- - - Updated - - -

Again you are correct. I appologize if I offended you. I will remember that in future visits here. Thank you for extending a branch though. Take care.

I just want to learn, and i believe if you are going to spend your time on something then it is your responsibility to do it the very best you can. Regret will be yours alone if you dont.

"regret will be yours if you don't"? Nope, regret will be for the people you are tattoing.

This thread is a demotivational poster in the making.

Snarkiness aside, please take a step back and take into account the responsibility you have towards the people you are putting this stuff on. You should be spending your time learning to design and draw on paper, not on people's skin.

If I can make some suggestions: Go through posts and pictures, take some time getting an idea of what a good tattoo is. Go out and get good tattoos.

That's what this forum is for. It's certainly not a place to train or give people tips on how to get into the "business." Especially in one that is so overly saturated as it is.

That's one way for you to get some perspective without messing up your acquaintances. Good luck dude.