2014 Philadelphia Tattoo Arts Convention

Even though this is in my backyard, I've never actually gone. I've heard mixed reviews, but I figured I'd check it out this year. It's still pretty far off, but artists are starting to make appointments. So who will be there?

https://www.facebook.com/philadelphiatattooartsconvention

Artists: Artists Attending | Villain Arts - I assume it's not complete. I know GLT will have some guys there and that's not listed.

I'm booked with Ron Henry Wells on Sunday afternoon.

i've gone the last two years and have had a good time and got great tattoos both years. i wish there was less vendors & shit there but what can you do. i'll be there saturday all day, at this point i'm not going to make any appointments but we'll see. definitely would be into meeting any of you that will be there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I may come up on Sunday for a little while.......not too excited about it this year......

I can't even sort through their website or Facebook (which I almost never use) to tell if I'm excited. If I didn't have an appointment (that I heard about via Instagram, not the site), I don't know that I'd be excited either. Haha.

Probably going on Saturday..I think there's a lot of good & mediocre tattooers attending.But they could cut the booths in half,and just have all good tattooers.I personally like the bigger space,because I like to roam around the convention floor checking out all the booths.The only fucked up thing is getting in and out of the convention.

Me neither.

I feel like this convention has gotten waaaay too big and is filled with wanna be celebrities and scratchers.

I liked the smaller venue.

I agree........

I know a lot of the "celebs" and I honestly think their notoriety is what has ruined it for me personally!

I mean I like them as people and most of their work....but don't agree with the whole going on TV and such and then the instant success they seem to be granted because of it!

I liked the old...smaller venue......and less quantity and more quality!

- - - Updated - - -

There are still awesome tattoo artists coming to the show so I understand for most people it is very worth going and getting tattooed!

Just for me.....my next tattoo is a very big milestone for me and it needs to be done by someone I really have been waiting to get for a long time!

I only have one or two "meaningful" tattoos.....but this next one is more of who is going to do it....not what it is!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up if you are going to be at the show on Saturday and want to take a ride a little south down I-95.....Dave Fox's band is playing in Claymont Delaware at Mojo 13 on Saturday night!

He said they'd probably go on about 10pm?

I doubt I'll be able to make it up for that.....I will probably just come up on Sunday morning!

@BrianH I've only ever been to one other convention (Richmond this fall) because I've always heard such crappy things about the Philly one. I figured I'd finally check out Philly this year, and while I got a good tattoo that I'm happy with, there was a lot of nonsense going on.

There were a decent amount of awesome artists there, which I didn't even realize because their website is tough. It was also absolutely gigantic. I was only there on Sunday, but I really only had time to make it through each aisle one time. I saw a lot of people I like in the midst of tattoos, but didn't get any good pics.

Once mine is healed up, I'll post a pic. Right now the side of my knee is swollen as hell.

• 4 months later...

I would definitely recommend going. The philly and baltimore convention is one of the largest conventions on the east coast, and there are SO many artists that work it. It's a lot of fun and seeing the kind of work that is being put out is just amazing. There are a couple drawbacks though. Usually, the philly show coincides with Chinatown's New Year celebration so the roads are blocked off, and parking is a bitch, and Saturday is PACKED. Also, if you're going to be in entering any of the competitions, be prepared for a long wait!